Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look what I scored for free...!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powrshftr, Aug 4, 2013.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

I scrounged this off an old 6 cylinder Detroit Diesel in a wrecked cement truck abandoned in the bush 75 miles south of the arctic circle.
    Was it worth the work?Probably not.Did I lose a lot of blood getting it?Definitely.Has it kept me sane the past little while, working on getting this blower off that damn dirty old truck?That would be a big,fat,yes!lol!

Now my question is going to be:

Who makes/sells some traditional bearing plates/drive kits,etc for this thing that you guys would recommend?I want this thing to end up looking like it's right out of '62 or '63,because it's going to be used on my '30 A coupe project with a stroked early Hemi.I just want every detail on this car to be "right".It's been a long wait,and I don't want to botch integrity of this car with a bunch of parts that just do not fit the era....

Thanks,

Scott

Attached Files:

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I can't answer your questions, but cool score!

3. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Nice!! Free is always Awesome, too.

4. jim henderson

jim henderson

Looks to me like a 318 Detroit blower.

5. jim henderson

jim henderson

318 diesel motor by Detroit diesel

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'm definitely itchin' to get this biotch home and between the frame rails.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

So this is a 6-71 blower though,right.....?Please tell me I didn't work on this thing for hours,sawzall half of a truck out of the way for access,and end up with a huge scar on my leg,only to find out that I will not be able to use this....:(

8. aircap

aircap

If you can't use it, you can always sell it.

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

For what I went through to get that thing,I would rather make a coffee table out of it than sell it.A guy shot a large wolf about 100 yds away from me and the truck a week and a half ago,and we're averaging 3 bear sightings a day at work over the past week.I was looking over my shoulder pretty much the entire time I was out there working on it...!lol!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nah...I think you did good, pwrshftr...and I applaud your herculean effort to get it. Looks like a 6-71 to me. Does it turn freely? Chances are that the truck was dead because of a problem with the engine...not the blower.

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

it's pretty tight,but everything is extremely clean inside,and all the gears and bearings are 100% rust free.I guess you could say it's as clean on the inside as it is filthy on the outside...lol

I spoke to a guy who runs pulling tractors out of Lapeer Michigan yesterday,and he will rebuild it for $250 plus parts....which seems like a decent price to me.....depending on just exactly how "Plus" the parts turn out to be...lol

12. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I hate to say it but it don't sound free to ne. You defiantly earned it. Another cool story to go along with your build. :cool:

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just be careful of who you give up your good stuff to. Plenty of yahoos out there who'll say anything...either to make $ "fixing" something that they know nothing about, or actually take your shit, and you'll never see it again. Especially when it comes to valuable car parts. Always check into a person's reputation first. I'm sure that guys on the Hamb could recommend someone capable and honest. Start a thread and ask. Good luck.

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

There's three FE Ford truck motors up here with the steel cranks in 'em too...I may have to take a crack at one of them next....I just have to figure out how to get this stuff home.
    A case of bottled water is $58.99 up here because it is flown in via Buffalo Air in a Curtiss C-46....you might have seen these guys on the History Channel on a show called "Ice Pilots".

15. powrshftr

powrshftr

Words of wisdom Ricky.Lapeer is only about an hour away from my place down south,so I will swing by their shop for a visit before committing to anything.
    In my experience,you're usually in good hands when the guy starts getting really excited about your project when you're describing it to him.This was one of those guys.:)

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sphynx:I also got some cool Dietz headlights off the same truck,a cool old Chevy truck master cylinder,and probably tetanus,from a jagged piece of broken glass lens on a running light putting a big ol' hole in my left leg....lol

The headlights are definitely going on the coupe,and the master cyl might, if I can successfully rebuild it.

As for my leg....I got a pretty badass looking scar out of it,so I'm calling it even...lol

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Do some homework on that blower before you 'give it over' to some hero who will RESCUE you for $250!
    Hansen's Blower Service used to reverse, neoprene seal, and clearance 6-71s for $24.

I have done them, they're easier than Cad-Lasalle trannys.

For $250, I would reverse-and-clearance 'em all day long.

Read up on them. This computer. This America.

18. I thought tetanus was from rusty metal

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

Mike,
    If I could buy ANYTHING more than a newspaper and a ham sandwich for the price of $24 in the year 2013 I would jump at the chance!
    I was just happy to find a shop,within an hour's drive of my home,who keep pulleys,belts,tensioners,and other parts in stock,and can help me out with tuning and tech advice as well.
    This will be my first blower motor,so I've been doing a ton of reading and talking to buddies who run blown cars,but it will be nice to get parts from a shop that actually RUNS supercharged engines every weekend,instead of forking over $3800 for a Weiand kit to summit,and hearing an uncomfortable silence coming from the other end of the phone line when I ask about pulley sizes,spark plug heat range,carb tuning,or cam profile choices...
    That being said,you're right.I'm all hopped up on enthusiasm for this project and I need to slow down and do some more reading.:eek:

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don't worry Steve,I cut myself on lots of that,too...lol!:eek:

21. TV

TV

That looks like a 6-53 blower They work great on a flathead, but it will take some work. It needs to be changed to sealed brgs and carry its own lube and you will have to make all of the drive gear nose and drive parts.

22. 2racer

2racer

go for the cofee table with a glass top...

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

I can get a 354 Hemi block that is cracked from a buddy,and build a wicked looking display motor for the livingroom.....lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of the 6v53 cases I have seen had a big horizontal rib in the case, and no protruding mounting flange.

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Now for the tough part:
    Disassembling this bitch to a point where it's light enough to fly home with me as carry-on luggage.
    Shipping costs a fortune up here,so I'm planning to take it home in three trips:
    1: Rotors
    2: bearing plates
    3: Housing

Now my next question is:If I can find any more of these up there,is anybody interested in one?There might be an extended wait,but if I can find another one,the price definitely won't be very high,as I'm just doing this stuff to pass the time while I'm up north.

Scott

26. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I would be interested in one at the right price, and if it would help, I'm right across the river from your hometown, in Port Huron. If you are working in the states it would save you money to ship it to this side of the border too. I have a lot of hot rodder friends from Canada that ship there parts here to save money then come over and pick them up. Bend D delivered a load of Merc parts here for a guy from Sarnia a while back too.

27. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

I will keep looking when I get back up there...there are quite a few trucks,but most of them are FE series BB Fords.
    I will see what I can find.

Scott

29. stimpy

stimpy

if the guy in lapeer don't pan out call Dyers blower service in Summit ill , they been doing blowers since the 1950's for funny cars and know there stuff , and have everythign from manifolds to restripping kits and new huffers . its definately not a v series blower as it has the flat face . so your good there ..

30. lowshow

lowshow
    from CANADA

Find a Detroit diesel dealer, they can usually still get the parts to overhaul those blowers. I worked at a DD distributor here in Canada and overhauled one. A lot of the old two strokes had them.