Register now to get rid of these ads!

'41 Chevy & '64 Corvette Front Drum Brakes ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '41 Chev, Jul 26, 2013.

1. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Can anyone tell me if '64 Corvette front drum brakes will fit the stock '41 Chevy spindles? Or, what must be done to adapt them?

'Preciate your help,

'41 Chev

2. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

You can probably use 53-62 Corvette hubs and brakes. 63 was when every thing changed with the 63 Corvette Stingray. 64 probably won't work.........
    The 53-62 Vettes used the same basic spindle and brake assembly as the 1953 Chevy passenger car.
    I have included a link to a page found on Nostalgia Sid's Dropped Axle Site. This will give you the information you need to put later 5 lug assemblies on your 41.

http://www.droppedaxles.com/TECH_ARTICLES.html

Good Luck with the conversion........................ Jeff

3. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Jeff, I appreciate the info and the link. Some good info on the link.

Has anyone else tried the '64 Corvette front brakes on a '41-'48 Chevie?

Thanks

Gaither

4. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

no... but tried 80´on 50´Chevy spindels, not straight on, but possible to fir with other inner bearing, but outer didnt go, bearing spacer is needed.

5. oldolds

oldolds

Why are you set on the 64 Corvette parts? The '40-'54 Chevy drums go on with no hassle. If you get the backing plates from '53-'54 you upgrade your brakes. The Corvette parts as stated above also.

6. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

My reason is I have free access to a good set of '64 Corvette front brake assys. A bit better than '54 Chevy brakes (which I have and will likely use). I would prefer the '64 brakes if the would work easily.

Thanks guys, for all the input.

Gaither

7. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Gaither, I did a little research on the Napa Online Store site. If you are talking about 64 Corvette Front Drum Brakes this may help you.

1954 Chevrolet Bel Air and Corvette appear to use part #4401060 (front drum)
    1964 Corvette uses part # 4401062 (front drum)

If you look on the NAPA Web Site you will see that both of the front drums mentioned above are 11" x 3"............

It is my opinion that you would not be any better off trying to use the 64 Corvette set up since the 54 Chevy set up is the same size drum and obviously the brake shoes.

You can verify my findings by researching NAPA Online

Good Luck, Jeff

8. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Thanks, Jeff. I was thinking the '54 front drum was 11" X 2". I'll back-track with NAPA.

'Preciate your help.

Gaither

9. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

The '54 front drums are 11" X 2" (same as thru '62 on Corvette).

Gaither

10. 51-54 Chevy front brakes are exactly the same as 53-62 Corvette. Use the '51-'54 backing plate, hub and drum - it's a bolt-on. If you're set on Corvette parts, use the 'vette wheel cylinders and hardware. But the regular stuff can be had and you can replace the whole works for around $250 including drums, plus the hubs, backing plates and bolts.

11. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Sorry Gaither, I went back to Napa online and the brake shoes are 11x2. I thought I had helped when the website stated that the drums were 11x3. Go Figure Jeff

12. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Jeff, we all run into that kind of stuff. Thanks for your input.

I suppose I'll go with the '54 Chevie front brakes which I already have (including simi-metalic linings). They'll be compatible with the '56 Chevie brakes on the 3.55 rearend I'll be running. I would like the '64 Corvette front brakes but likely not worth the hassle.

I appreciate all of you for sharing your information.

Thanks

Gaither

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  13. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Jeff was right about the '64 Corvette. The front drum is 11" X 3". As opposed to the 11" X 2" drum, 3" is a much better brake. That would really stop a '41 Chevy! 'Wish it was easy to get 'em on the '41.

Gaither

14. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Gaither, I wish I could be there in person to look at the differences between the 54 Chevy brakes compared to the 64 Corvette brakes.
    I sold auto parts for about 7 years off and on and yo brake situation has really caught my interest.
    Have you decided on the 54 and back Chevy System ???
    Thanks for the kind word............................................................ Jeff

15. It would be easier to use a disc brake kit than to go to 3" brakes, I suspect, you'd have to find a hub that still fits those spindles to make it work.

16. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Jeff, the major difference is 2" wide drums and 3" wide drums (both are 11" dia.). That is a dramatic difference since it is all about active surface and heat sink.

Yes, I will likely use the '54 Chevie 11" X 2" brakes since I don't have a machine shop. I'll likely use an in-line booster with 'em.

Rusty, you are right. However, I didn't want to use disc brakes. Yes, I am hard-headed. I've been told, "If I drown, they'll find my body 2 miles upstream". I do wish there was an easy way to use those 3"-wide drums!

Men, I appreciate all the help and advice.

Gaither

17. 3" drums would also increase the wheel track by 2" which depending on what size tires you run could cause fender clearance issues.

18. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Rusty, That could be, depending upon how the extra 1" is positioned. Most of the wider drum brakes I have messed with in the past were positioned deeper on the spindle by the backing plates being deeper. (That applies to both front and rear.)

In the case of the '64 Corvette front brakes, that may or may not be the case. But, they aren't gonna be compatible with my '41 spindles/spindle supports. So, I guess I've got to satisfy myself with the 2" '54 Chevy brake. Fortunately, I have simi-metalilc linings.

Thanks much,

Gaither

19. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

'Forgot to say I'm using a '56 Chevy 3.55 rearend and brakes (350 Vortec and Saginaw all syncro 3-spd Overdrive).

20. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Just for giggles my first build in 1966 was a 39 Chevy 2-dr. Installed a 283, Power-Glide and a 55 Chevy rear (3.55)
    Hung a 55 Chevy master cylinder on the firewall and the matching 55 swing pedal under the dash.
    The original beam axle still had the 6-lug hubs, drums and backing plates, etc. Car stopped well and that was before disc brakes and proportioning valves.
    You should be GOOD with your 54 11X 2 front brakes.......................... Jeff

21. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Jeff, thanks for sharing your experience. I agree the '54 brakes should be sufficient. I may run an in-line booster with 'em.

Thanks

Gaither

22. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

I need to give an update on the '41/54 chevy brake matter. I appreciate all of the advice you guys offered.

The '54 backing plates will not fit the '41 spindles. You must use '49-'54 (or '53-'62 Corvette) spindles.

I had all the '54 front brake parts, most of it new including bearings. I found a '60 Vette complete front crossmember and used the spindles and brake assys (like new condition).

I have simi-metalic brake linings, new in the box and all 4 new front bearings still in the box along with the '54 Chevy brake assys to sell, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.
    Gaither