Register now to get rid of these ads!

imron paint mixing (binder / color) question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tetanus, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Tetanus

Tetanus

I picked up some gallons of imron paint for just about free(yes I know all the hazards) I have some 570u binder some 572u balancing clear and a bunch of colors 558u red is one.question is what ratio do I mix the binder and color and what is the balancing clear for? guy told me to mix color and binder 1:1.also what reducer and hardener do I use? I will try to get to the paint store next week but I don't think they will be to helpful since I didn't buy the paint there.

2. Airwolf

Airwolf

Google Dupont Imron and look at their spec and MSDS sheets.

3. Good advice, or you can look on the can for ratios.

You can still buy reducer and imron paint from your local auto body and paint supply by the way.

Did you get any black I could use a gallon of black and a gallon of clear. Or half a gallon of black and half a gallon of orange.

4. Tetanus

Tetanus

Can does not say anything but all the safty stuff.this is like the tint to mix the paint not what you get when you buy a gallon of it.this stuff is to make the paint you reduce and add hardener to.

5. Hmmn. I would never have guessed. Sounds like you havbe a rainbow on your hands. :)

6. dtracy

dtracy

You need to look at the formula for the color you're trying to make. I used to be a Ditzler paint jobber and I still have some of my old mixing equipment. The binder is used in certain formulas and in very small amounts to bind certain mixing colors together. The balancer is used to balance out a can of paint when the formula does not fill the can. Very little of these things are used and not very frequently.

The thing is that a quantity of paint is mixed by weight. Using a formula written in grams, the mixing colors are added to an empty can that is setting on a scale. Each color is added in turn until the scale balances with the formula value. If a formula does not quite fill the can then a balancing clear is used to fill up the can. Balancing clear is not any good for top coating by itself, do not use it for that, trust me you will have a mess.

Dave.

PS. Those "unopened" cans of mixing colors are very valuable to someone that still mixes Imron. The reds alone are worth several hundred dollars a gallon. I've sprayed a lot of Imron, liked it better than the Ditzler enamel and it lasts almost forever in the Arizona sun.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  7. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I dont think Imron has a Binder even in the Mixing Formulas... at least when I mixed it years ago I dont recall adding any... its a Urethane Paint.. and it Does require Hardner. No more than a 10% reduction if any of Imron Retarder. It Runs easy if applied to heavily. it does require a good tack or set up time between coats. max.. 3 coats. No clear required. sanding and polishing is tough to do with that product.. sticks real bad when sprayed. over spray lingers lots.