Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Gasser rear tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Jul 18, 2013.

1. The radials are a fair bit harder to hook with a "stick" car, the side wall is to stiff. With an automatic car they are much easier, and I do agree, much more road friendly, however the 2 ply wrinkle bias ones are pretty soft on the ride quality.

2. these are going on the rear of my 64 comet ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374278932.068157.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

4. CalGasser

CalGasser

Man, this is a tough one. Lots of great suggestions on tires but still can't find the look I'm looking for. The pie crust slicks can be grooved but not DOT approved so may get dinged for that - then maybe not...:confused:

5. Not my most favorite tire ( they look a little like worn out dirt/mud tires), but the Firestone Dragster Cheater Slick from Coker are DOT legal, and they are the real deal as I've seen many old pics including the original Moon and a very early Hawaiian dragster wearing them and it comes in a 10.00x15. Coker also has a 13x30 "Nostalgia" tire that's pretty cool, looks like an older sprint car tire.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Most cops, if they aren't car guys would never look to see if the tires are DOT approved. To them, if it has thread, it's legal.

7. Pretty good point, if they see tread, chances are they'll move on to something else.

8. CalGasser

CalGasser

Shit, that's a scary thought! :eek:

9. CalGasser

CalGasser

Ric, checked out the Coker site and saw the Dragster Slicks. A friend of mine bought a '55 Gasser with those tires on it and asked what he could do to improve the looks... I told him to lose those tires! :mad: I know, just like a woman - picky, picky, picky!

Thanks Rick, good point! :eek:

10. A big misconception on "cheater" slicks......the 2 grooves made them "class" legal in some drag classes back in the 60's, but NOT ever "street" legal.

11. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

After I had put the wheel wells back to stock on my '55 I needed some narrower tires. The M&H 775/800x15 would have been perfect, but out of my budget. I found some NOS H70x15 McCreary Tires on the above mention site. Delivered to my door for less than the cost of 1 of the M&H tires.

12. cktasto

cktasto

these are M/T 30x13.5x15

Attached Files:

13. CalGasser

CalGasser

Does anyone know if this is gospel? Good point!

Got any pictures of your ride with the tires?

14. CalGasser

CalGasser

Looks great on your ride but a bit too wide for mine. :mad:

15. Think about it. "Cheater" slick.....cheats some of the dragstrip "class" rules (a way to run a slick on some of the "stock" classes). Do you think those 2 little grooves would ever "cheat" the Government into allowing them to be street legal (DOT approved) then OR now? LOL. I don't think so.;)

16. loudbang

loudbang

Yes they were legal in some states. Look up the statues in your state and you will probably read something like "must have at least two threads showing" and a depth measurement.

17. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Dont mean to highjack the tread but I saw some redlines on the front tires a few pages back, now i know this was big in the late 60/early 70s but does anyone know if anyone was running these in the 50's? Traditional? :confused:

18. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Towel city here too

Sent from my SCH-I535 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

19. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

295/65/15 mickey radials

Attached Files:

29EHV8 likes this.
  20. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

Here are a few pictures. I'm putting my driveshaft loop back in this morning. When I went back to the stock wheel wells, I had the go from the 15x8 reversed wheels to these '60 Olds wheels.

Attached Files:

21. davidh73750

davidh73750

What size are those?

22. squirrel

squirrel

Five and a half year delay between showing you what he has, and you asking about it :)

SDhotrod and Moriarity like this.
  23. Well ,,,,you could read the thread while being mindful of the dates and poster.
    Shemp told you already

squirrel likes this.