Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Saw a Futurliner that was a flatbed tow today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbacca, Aug 3, 2013.

1. That is very cool.

2. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Near speechless. What could possibly be cooler than a Futureliner car hauler?

-KK

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I used to see the one parked behind guitar center on ventura blvd, 10 or 12 years ago. it gets ones attention that's for sure, nothing small about it.

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That was the first on my mind!!
    Defenetly need more Info!

What no# had it? What no# had the other one?

Is there a threat on the HAMB about the futurliner's? There should be!!

5. WOW!! That is some extremely impressive work. Very rare when someone can actually improve an original design, especially when a good part is missing!! Very well done by all involved.-MIKE:eek::cool:

6. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I'm young and have been fasinated with futureliners. I met one of the original drivers son while working for a commercial truck company. Unfortunately I found out he drove the future liner because of his obituary as he had recently passed away when I found out what his occupation was. It was really cool to talk to son because he had grew up with memorabilia and stuff from the futureliner.he worked at UPS the toledo area

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

.... just what car deserves to be on the back off it. I don't think my Morris Minor will do it justice somehow:D

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bitchin truck...all aboard !!!!

9. The power of The HAMB strikes again.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Got to love the HAMB, super rare turck gets spotted on a hauler and within a day its location and history is known. Got to walk around one of the restored ones at Hershey a few years ago. Have all 12 survived? Bob

11. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

My brother in law put it like this "We can trace all 1001 Scenicruisers, but not 12 Futurliners." He's into greyhound buses.

I think some were killed to save others. I came across a pic of 5 lined up in random colors and conditions. Google shows multiple ones rusted out.
    [​IMG]

12. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

9 of these still live
    This one here
    The one that NATMAS owns, fully restored and functional, thas the oen you all have seen at shows and such in the east,although they've had it out here to Pebble beach
    The other one in So Cal thats been refurbished as a party bus
    The one in AZ that sold at BJ for 4.2 Mil
    One we sold to Sweden its being restored
    One we sold to a gent in Salt Lake,its undergoing a full restoration
    Peter Pan Bus Co owns two one is restored and operating, the other I don't know.
    There is one I believe in Maine that was pulled out of a yard and then to some gents yard and last I heard he is slowly working on it.

Fido in Canada repainted theirs and thats the one that sold at BJ

The one that Kaldetz owned is this one here, the back end off of this one is the one that went to Sweden to repair that one

The picture that Jim posted might be when some car junkie owned some of them or when a resturaant was going to use them as some sort of indoor seating.

The list that I've put up is the most current where abouts of most of them, we had one in Indiana 3 years ago at the RM auctions that bortz was trying to prompte,all he can do is promote himself,thats the one that went to Utah last year at Kindig it designs and is now under going a full restoration.

13. I'm seeing Don Garlits' Jocko Johnson Wynnsliner or maybe Gary Ormsby's Castrol T/F 'liner being hauled on the back of this rig. :eek: :D

14. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

The line up was from Joe Bortz. He's the guy that has a knack for finding Motorama and concept cars that should not be alive.

15. Weasel

Weasel

I was offered three Futureliners as a job lot in 1999 - I think it was like $60k for all three - one near Indianapolis, one in Phoenix AZ and one in Long Beach CA. There were only three things between me and them - money, space and sanity....

16. haychrishay

haychrishay

As Paul Harvey would say " and now you know the rest of the story"

17. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Futurliners are awesome and represent a wonderful time in our American history. The car hauler is amazing, and especially that it's getting used !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Apparently there are no mysteries that the HAMB cannot solve and solve quickly. That machine is just stunning. I too would like to see some more pictures, great workmanship.

19. Vimtage Iron, Do I know you from JOT and ATHS forums? I use the same name over there

20. stimpy

stimpy

I would love to have the blue prints on how they were made just to see the underpinnings . glad to see part of a peice ( if it all couldn't be saved ) back on the road . can't say thats not a COE more like a COC , Cab over Cargo

21. NORSON

NORSON

I saw the same unit a month or so ago. It was heading south on I-5 between Portland and Corvallis. I too, was going the other way. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Good thing I couldn't find a place to turn around. I would have ended up in California. Norm

22. It's not the blueprints but this site will give you an idea of the "bones" under the Futurliner. :cool:

http://www.futurliner.com/index.html

You might want to pack a lunch... the site's pretty extensive. :D

23. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coolest. Carhauler. Ever.

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That thing is sick!
    How do we get in contact with the owner for a future gig?

25. This is current picture of the one being restored by Dave Kindig's shop in S.L.C.

Mick

Attached Files:

26. Boy, you must have a great field of vision out of one of those things. Except for when you want to parallell park.

27. 52stude43

52stude43

thats the way to "save one" :cool:

28. kscarguy

kscarguy

Hey, why isn't anyone interested in the electric car he was hauling? (roll eyes)

29. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

This was at the Vintage Travel Trailer Show in Pismo Beach last May

Attached Files:

30. VespaJay

VespaJay

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013