Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ten years on the HAMB!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kinky6, May 12, 2013.

1. Kinky6

Kinky6

Well, here it is, past 4:00am in the ever-lovin' morning. I just finished a concert load-out, and realized that yesterday made 10 years that I've been a member on the HAMB! Guess this means I'm gonna hafta break down and get my Alliance Membership, now. ;)

I've got one of these jobs that keeps me here 6 and 7 days a week, 50-80 hrs. per week, so I don't get much garage time at all. Guess that'll have to wait for retirement, at the rate things are going. Comp time only seems to be a theory.

But, I do have steady employment, and the job will pay for my retirement in not too many years in the future. I am able to learn a lot just from hanging around here, as some of these days just require me to be physically present while various events take place, in between having to do actual work, that is.

Next project is to figure how to wrangle some time away from work for some welding classes over at the community college, cause, ya see boss, there's some metal storage carts and stuff that needs repairin' here at work, and the guy over at physical plant that used to do that retired a while back, ya know... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, a big thanks to Ryan, the moderators, and everyone else who keeps this place informative, entertaining, and drama free!

Dang, time for some shut-eye! Later, Kinky6 :cool:

2. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Congrats. I've a few more months to go. Thanks to all involved in keeping this place alive.

3. would you share some observations/ favourite posts, most memorable things 10 years on the HAMB has brought you? what were things like 10 years ago?

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Hover your mouse over your name and note your number in the bottom left of your browser. Do the same with an FNG who joined this year. Up over 200.000 members now. Hover over Kinky6's name or mine and you'll see how much more intimate it was then:)

A lot of the guys who posted 10 years ago and who helped us out with their experience are no longer with us. 10 years is a very long time ago.

10 years ago there weren't so many young no-it-alls around, at least that's the way it felt back then.
    What's got better? Well if I remember correctly it was more of a "them and us" thing back then. Restorers and rodders were enemies. Nowadays as we all got older it became more mixed. Back then you didn't get loads of people crying out to preserve a survivor just the way Henry built it.

I believe Ryan should make it possible to log onto Fordbarn with our Hamb login. It would be nice to turn up there with a ten year history rather than be seen as a Newbie. Also we'd be able to recognise each other easier. As we get older originality become more important. Also as all the oldtimers die off some of us hotrodders have to look after the original cars left behind. If not they'll all end up turning into hotrods and it'll become impossible to film something like "Last man standing" or "Road to Perdition" again.

Actually I'd have had a much earlier join date if I'd joined straight away but I lurked for ages. Over a year I think. It was a bit intimidating back then;-)))

Ed

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10 years as a member of one site, a site that just gets stronger and better with time.
    I bet there are very few, if any other sites out there that can boast this kind of loyalty, longevity and style?
    Man what an accomplishment, not only for you but for Ryan for building us all such a great place to hang out.

Doc.

6. 10 years is a long time,,,Congratulations. HRP

7. Ten years, wow! I was internet ignorant till 2007 and joined a website that had little to no moderators and was a regular "Sodom and Gomorah", and the ugliness turn me off and I tuned out, then a friend who was/is a member here told me to give this site a try and I relucantly gave in and I was suprised at the positive comadre and I found if you were respectful, it was the greatest learning place of a common shared interest. I would like to take this time to thank Ryan and all the great guys and gals who contribute. I became a Alliance member to help the cause more then looking for a discount from the vendors, but must take the time to thank the particpating vendors for thier support. I have bought several sets of tires from Coker Tires and apreciated thier discount. All I can add is, if you see a kid that even remotely acts interested in the hobby, invite them in to your shop and who knows, maybe they are member 1,000,000 ??......... :D

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Congrats there Kinky6. 10 Years is a long time, but where better to spend it than on the HAMB.
    Cheers.

9. And you havent killed anyone yet? Inpressive. :D

Congrats.

10. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I've also now made the ten years on the HAMB. Joined on the 2nd of August 2003 after lurking for quite some time. Funny to think how much the internet has changed how we do things in those ten years.
    Funny to think that after all those years I've still not built myself a Hotrod.
    Ed

11. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Nicely summed up Doc. Well done all concerned :cool:

12. I have, but that's a different thread!!-MIKE:eek::D:p

13. Deuces

Deuces

Guess I got a long ways to get there....:(

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

10, crap, only 8 more before your profile is legal. :rolleyes:

That probably sounded funnier in my head. :confused:

Teyear, dayummm. :)

Congrats, I'm a much more recent addition. ;)

Here's to another 10. :)

I definitely remember some we've lost on the way, even on my shorter journey here.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  15. WOW! Ten years and still not hot rod. Bet you could have put one together in all the time you have spent on the HAMB...But what better place to spend your time......then here. Hope you are around for another ten years..

16. I hit the ten year point earlier this year. When I joined there were about 1200 folks who thought like me....there still are.

17. Kinky,
    Congrats, I got until Sept but I doubt that anyone will notice.

Congrats again.

18. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Oh I've put plenty of them together, just not for myself!

Twitter @edsrodshop

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on the 10 years - so, any words of wisdom that you care to share with the ever increasing number of Newbies here?

20. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

First in - first out.

21. Kinky6

Kinky6

True, not much building going on here. As I understand it, a guy has to be able to go home and actually spend time out in the garage turning money into rust, or something like that.

Too often, it seems I only get home w/ enough time to get a little shut-eye before the next day happens.

Can I count a '57 Chevy 1/2 ton as a hot rod? It does have five-spokes on the front end, at least. Heck, I bought it as a parts hauler for other projects that I don't have time for, and it has turned into its own project at times. :confused:

Obviously, I've got this "hot rod hobby" thing well in hand.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

22. Kinky6

Kinky6

I dunno, how about an S-10 frame is not a one size-fits-all replacement frame for your recently bought project that already has a frame?

I like Deuce Roadster's advice to someone from a while back, about trying to focus on only getting one project done at a time. Not that I'm capable of following it, but its good advice, anyway.

How about, for a first project, start with something that you can drive and work on in alternate stages, rather than something that has to be gone through completely. Years ago, I started with a '39 Chevy two door, and didn't know where to start. I worked with a local garage owner who had some good welding skills, but he didn't really "get" the whole hot rodding thing.

At the time ('88-'90), I thought you had to go the whole route on something like this, open rear, Muncie, MII front w/ discs, etc. The guy working on it kept wanting to take short cuts that I didn't like, I didn't have my own garage, so it was an after hours project at his garage. Its been on the road a time or two, but ever since I towed it down here from N.C., its been a garage queen, and I just haven't jumped back in on it.

In between grad school, some professional schools, and bustin' on my career here, its stayed on the back burner. I'm finally getting some real staff in my area, so I'm hoping that some of this hobby stuff won't have to wait for retirement. The '39 will go up for sale sometime soon. I want to build something really basic like a RPU or a two-seat modified.

Later, Kinky6 :cool: