Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead v/8 questions??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by furyfan, Aug 3, 2013.

1. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

I found this photo on the Vintage Shots threat. I am wondering what year(s) this engine was used and also the piece that has the arrow pointing to it; what is that for? I notice that the motor mount bracket is separate from the water pumps on this engine. Thanks for any info.
    John

[​IMG]

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Id say that’s a prototype for the upcoming 32 … note were the starter is - the exhaust ports - water manifold -..................................................

3. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I think the arrow is pointing to a vacuum clutch arrangement. Lots of cars used them in the early 30's

4. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Google what the pic says. It's a prototype or model. Very unusual.

5. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

Thanks for the quick responses.
    John

6. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Motor appears to be a 1932 version.....the tall coil, the 2 blade fan, trans rear mount is the 1932 only style. The servo linkage does appear to operate the clutch release shaft from the RH side. Odd location for the starter would have had to cause the trans cover to be enlarged. Definitely looks like a prototype of some kind.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Definitely unusual.....The exhaust manifolds are an interesting piece. How was that vacuum clutch servo set up ?

4TTRUK

8. Those exhaust manifolds look odd but they would sure help it to stay cooler rather than having the exhaust ports run through the water jackets. Maybe Henry should have kept them on the production engines

9. rat pup

rat pup
    from houston

Proto-type according to a wise old man by the name of Higgby Jinkins,