Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Deuce owners have a trailer hitch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 2, 2012.

1. While you are at it you might consider one of those hitches that is mounted on a piece of 2 inch square tubing such that it can be removed. After it has been removed a bike rack can be substituted in its place. Yes I know they are ugly but practical is good also. Just be sure everything can be unbolted for everyday use.

Charlie Stephens

2. Well, this is a great thread!! (little old) I have an orig Mullins that I want to tow behind my Deuce Roadster and 5W and my 34 Sedan. I too looked for the ASC hitch but no luck.
    I really like the one that vintagehotrods fabed for his Roadster. Since he is now in Prescott, I will try to contact him and talk Deuces and trailer hitches. I was in Prescott last weekend, wished I could have talked to him then.

3. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

4. Jeff J

Jeff J

Ok, i know it;s on a 34 but the ideais there . The receiver is mounted to side rails and is hidden behind the plate. The hitch ball assb. slides in ! Pull the pin and the plate slides out and put your hitchw/ ball in it !

Attached Files:

5. thunderplex

thunderplex

This is on my 1930 Full Fendered Model A.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

6. Topstrap

Topstrap
    from East Ohio

Here's mine. Don't care if it's not cool, pretty handy to have.

[​IMG]

Topstrap

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

I put one on my 32, Bought alum rack 24" x 48'' x8" deep at Menards thats slips into reciever to haul my pop-up, lawn chairs and cooler when I travel to shows. Love my 32, and its nice to be able to take more than a jacket with, especialy when the wife comes along. John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

8. Great thread! Very helpful (except for one) contributions. I want to put a hitch on my deuce, so that I can tow my vintage race car to the annual; Monterey event. Now, thanks to you guys, I've got some ideas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By the way. Not all of us from San Luis Obispo, are cranky.

9. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

My 32 roadster with a removable hitch. I have a "toy trailer" that I tow sometimes.
    The flaps are to cover a MA. law.

Attached Files:

10. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

i covered the ball on my hitch with a piece of stainless steel pipe that i polished. it looks like a push bar that can be used to also attach a tow strap if ever needed to be put on a rollback if needed.(God forbid)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can remove it if i want but i dont pull a traylor. i covered the top of the pipe with an electrical type plug.................

11. Hey HOTRODPRIMER
    There is an Australian guy here on the HAMB that did a whole spread on his journey camping to the outback drylakes.
    1932 5 window . towing his camping rig.-look up.

(Aussi Speed Week & Road Trip in 32 Coupe)

when you guys see this guys rig, you will be sorry for all the lame comments.
    its True Hot Rodding devotion.

good luck camping out.
    AK

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I don't have a 32 right now but I have had several in the past, all with hitches. My current ride is an A. The hitch attachment is basically the same.
    One thing I do since I saw it happen once is, the trailer tongue came off a guy's hitch ball for who knows why. The safety chains held the trailer in line so he stopped ok, BUT,
    as he came to a stop, the tongue came forward and poked a big hole in the gas tank.
    No fire but there sure could have been. This was on a 32.
    So, ever since, I add a 1/4 inch plate just ahead of the hitch and aft of the tank.
    The size of the plate depends on the amount of "swing" the tongue has when hanging on the safety chains. It all ends up out of sight so no problem there.
    These old cars make good tow rigs if set up right.

Attached Files:

13. TTTT8

TTTT8

I can't take credit for this - it was on the car when I got it (Model A roadster). The guy I got it from towed a small airstream teardrop trailer behind the car. The neat part is that the receiver installs vertically, not horizontally, so when you take the receiver off, there is no visible clue there is a hitch on the car. Don't know who made it, but it is a pretty slick installation. It takes up a bit of trunk space, so now you can use the trailer to haul all your stuff.

Attached Files:

14. I’m interested in what you did for your 40 Ford. I have a trailer I want to pull behind me with my 40. It was the trailer my mother in law had that she pulled behind her 29 Roadster.

Attached Files:

15. A Boner

A Boner

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Perhaps trailer hitches are a little like louvers on deck lids?

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Without a doubt, one of the most iconic hot rods to ever grace asphalt.
    Gary Kesslers' original deuce hiboy.
    upload_2021-11-2_21-57-59.png

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He hasn't been on the board since 2018 but looking at his profile several of his rods he built were far more show car than driver.
    Here in the PNW a lot of events are or can be camp out events at the event location and more rods may tow small trailers either tear drops, tent trailers or the Burro/Scamp trailers.

19. Although this thread is an old one its a great resource for those of us that drive long distances. I'm putting a hitch on my Fordor I'm working on now too. It never hurts to have a trailer because you never know what old goodies you might find and want to haul home.

I apologize for my pictures being missing on my page one post. I'll try to do an edit and repost them.

20. 20210531_103339.jpg drag and drive trailer. its loaded down with 50 gallons of nitro and 20 gallons of methanol. a tool box holds and vice are located on the back. a flip up table provides a space to work. a tarp covers it all if bad weather present. water proof toates keep the fire suit and spare parts safe and dry. getting all this weight balanced for a smooth ride took some work.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    olscrounger likes this.
  21. I'm not sure but I think I may still have it in the barn, if not I will try do do a simple drawing to help you. HRP

pprather likes this.
  22. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The builder of my Duce 3-window built a removable hitch receiver for the car. It is not to mount a trailer hitch, but rather to mount a frame for carrying a cargo bin. The bin frame fits into the receiver so it is easy to mount and remove. Also easy enough to mount and remove the frame since it is a bolted to the frame rails. This set-up allows for lots of extra weather resistant cargo space. Sorry, no photos.

23. I just reposted all my missing pics on my page 1 post for anyone that wants to see them.

clem likes this.
  24. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs