Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead stash...need some verification on ID work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kasultana, Aug 3, 2013.

1. kasultana

kasultana

All,

I was able to get my hands on several motors in the last few days. I've been after them for a very long time and it just worked out. One motor and the block are still in original shipping crates. We got them back to the shop and I've gotten a chance to get some good pictures and pull a head/intake off one of them. These are military surplus motors that were shipped to NY at some point we stored for many many years and then saw the light of day this week. I've got 3 24 stud double pulley motors, 1 NOS block 59 type block, and 1 later 21 stud motor. Still have 1 more 24 stud 59A coming but not here yet. My plan is to keep the block and 1 24 stud motor for myself and sell the rest to fund the build. Here's a few pictures, but, what I believe I have are '41-42 blocks, these were double pulley, factory relieved, have raised intakes, rebuilt with new valvetrain and stored, they have what I think is full flow oil systems on them and split exhausts. The block I think is a '41 block based on casting number. Can you help verify. Know there are several folks on the HAMB that know all there is flathead wise.

Attached Files:

2. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

im no help at all but damn thats cool

3. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

I think that's a cool stash, and I'm no flathead man! Congrats and enjoy!

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Don't see anything that makes me think fullflow oiling. Need a good picture of the left rear of the block. If the connections by where the OP sender goes are 1/8 pipe no FF,1/8th pipe hole is about 5/16+. FF would be alot bigger.

5. kasultana

kasultana

I'll take a couple photos and post tomorrow. The pipe there is much larger and goes into a different type of OP sender than I've seen on my other 59 style motors. Thanks for the help.

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

The crankcase vent tube in the pass side front is something different, for 59A engines.... I've only seen those in 8BA engines before.

Great score, for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

7. R Pope

R Pope

Put them on the "Maple Leaf Up" forum. They are the type of flattie used in CMP Army trucks and Bren gun carriers. Those guys are always looking for good engines.

8. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks will check that out

9. kasultana

kasultana

Got the last motor out of the shipping crate (we saved the crates). Its similar with cosomline still on it. Believe them all to be '41 blocks.

Here's a few pictures of the back of the motor near the OP sender. Not sure if this designates a full flow set up but its different than what I've seen on other blocks.

Also have a question seems to be a port in the front of the intake and on on the block. Could this have been a PCV set up or what was that for? Thanks.

Attached Files:

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Well it does look to have larger ports for the oiling conections ,so very well be fullflow. Never personaly laid eyes one so take that for what it's worth.PCV ? possiable as that system was around in that era on some comerical type engines,with the miltary ANYthing is possabile. Nice score!!

11. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks for the help. I think part of the cool part is the stenciling on one of the motors that show pressure testing, inspection dates/names. Cool to see the history. Since I started building flatheads have lost a couple to cracks in pan rail etc. but these are rebuilt and ready to go. Will get one cleaned, tested, rebuilt as is and fire one up soon.

12. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Many years ago my dad and I bought engines like you have. One was a 37 style 21-stud and one was like the 59 style you have. We bought them from Bill Norton at Valley Obsolete in LA area. The wooden cases were made out of some sort of hardwood and as I remember were a bitch to uncrate. The story we got from Bill (who was one of God's all time B.S.ers) was that the engines were from Burma and were surplus from WWII or just after. The heads have cool provisions for prying them off. Some of the odd fittings etc. were said to be to hook up a governor. The 59 style was put into my dad's 40 convertible and has been used ever since. It runs strong, smooth, and cool. Not bad for what was supposed to be surplus tank or landing craft engines.

13. zgears

zgears

I'm interested and local when you want to unload one.

14. dtracy

dtracy

Did that bullet hit anything vital or just make a hole in the pan?

Dave.

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Damn.Some folks just have all the luck.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. kasultana

kasultana

On the hole up front. The picture is lousy but its threaded so not sure yet what it's for yet.

Thanks

17. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Fresh score, im no help just think its cool...

18. kasultana

kasultana

Thanks agree don't see this everyday

19. zgears

zgears

I'm I wrong for thinking $600 for a used core is outrageous?

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll need to explain. Some of what's been shown are not used cores, but rebuilt, cosmoline coated military surplus. To me, that's not a used core, and would be priced well beyond $600.

21. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

I believe the threaded hole is there so you can drain the water out of the block. My '41 engine is set up that way, one behind each water pump.

22. zgears

zgears

He wants $2400 for the NOS ones, about the same as a retail french flathead. He wants 600 for a used core that in all likelihood is cracked, as they all are. I don't mind bringing this up because this is a covert for sale post. That and I hate to say, i've been scammed on a number of flatheads that were "rebuilt" or "runners". no one should ever pay more than $150 for a used flathead block, they were made by the millions . Any rebuilt flathead should come with full documentation, or consider it a core.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  23. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

As t usually takes the purchase of 3-4 blocks before you find a good one then$600 for one that is known to be good. If these are 1941 engines then they are probably 216 cubic inch not 239 cubic in.

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

25. kasultana

kasultana

zgears - I'm on my 9th flathead now. losing a couple to cracks. Since you are local come to the shop and check them out. These aren't cores but complete motors. The 21 stud is $600 (I put $700 on my for sale add by mistake). The others $2400 or $1800 for the motor for the cracked intake/pulley/motor mount. I've pulled the heads/intakes on 3 of the engines. These motors are basically new (even the head gaskets are new). A new french block is over the $2600 and you have to build it up costing $5000-7000 depending on the speed parts. Its a fair place to start a discussion. Nothing stealth/covert going on here. I own a rod shop and stand by the parts. I've answered your PM's prior to posting the for sale since I've been out of town last week. If you are interested great if not thats fine as well.