Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Type Of Sealer Can I Use???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreaserJosh13, Aug 3, 2013.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey Guys. I'm working on fixing the inside if my 1950 Buick trunk. I should be replacing all if the sheet metal because its so rusted out, but for right now I'm going the easy route & using rust repair stuff. So far I've used a wire wheel to get all the rust off the metal, which left many holes in the floor, I then coated the entire trunk with Rust Doctor. After that dries I'm using Por 15 with fiberglass cloth to repair the holes & give it the entire trunk a little more strength. The one thing I'm stuck on is what to use to fill/seal the seams around the perimeter of the trunk where the fenders meet the floor. It looks like they used some kind of black caulking back in the day. I found some roofing caulking that seems like it will work, but it takes 7 days to dry & I don't think it can be painted unless you use an oil or tar based paint. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

pu sealer pu= polyureathane

dries overnight

3. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Never mind. Figured it out. Seam Sealer is what I was looking for. I guess Napa has a really good one.
    Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. bgaro

bgaro

just paint it. the more goop you put on now the more you have to get off when you fix it right. POR15 is for painting directly over rust, fiberglass resin and cloth won't stick to any of it. if you do it the way your saying it should look great for a week, if your lucky.

5. POR 15 with glas matte will do a good job on small pin type holes.