Register now to get rid of these ads!

Windshield sealant for rubber gasket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dane, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I'm putting the windshield in a car that has a rubber gasket with a groove to pinch the body metal and another groove to pinch the windshield. The FSM calls for "sealer" in the groves but does not say what type. I suspect back in the day there was only Butyl based sealer?

2. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

3. purp47

purp47

yes there used to be a liquid butyl thats long gone I use 3m super fast windshield eurothane cut the tip small bout 1/8" stick it inbetween the glass and rubber put a nice thin bead in. also do this between the ribber and body clean off excess with enamel reducer MAKE SURE YOU WEAR RUBBER GLOVES. DON'T GET ANY ON YOU IT WILL BE ALL OVER EVERYTHING !

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't use anything containing Silicone !!

5. I remember there used to be a sealer in a can like and oil can. Just stick the little tip behind the gasket and apply. Haven't seen it for years thou. I did see a almost liquid butal in a caulking type tube at home depot. used it on my house and it's really messy. Bet it would work thou.

6. purp47

purp47

stick with the 3m eurothane

trollst likes this.
  7. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Each to their own but thought i'd add my 2c.

I've brought this up before as I'm a Auto Glazier by trade and was shown this many, many moons ago when I was an apprentice. On my own cars I've always used normal grease or red rubber grease if you can find it. Applied by 1" brush or via an old type glue gun with the brush on the end.

I found many sealers dry out causing that rippled effect you get over time and using a tough urethane will make the job very permanent and a PITA should the glass need to come out again. The screen gasket will be of no use and the bodywork will require attention in removing the hard urethane off the paint. I'd NEVER use a silicone sealer, no way!!! Again a PITA, doesn't bond with rubber very well and brings silicones into a garage area.

The grease provides many things. Firstly it'll aid the fitment of the glass to the body. It also provides a constant wet seal that is not affected by hot/cold temps and it won't dry or go lumpy. The grease also helps prevent rust build up on the screen aperture as well as helping the rubber stay supple over the years. If the glass has to come out again the gasket can be reused and both the bodywork and gasket are easily cleaned.

I've owned many classics cars and it rains a lot here!! The first thing I do to most of my rides is re-gasket them. I'm currently doing just that with my little Morris Minor and yes it's raining outside. I've used this method on every single one of them and never had an issue with water getting in any of my cars. I removed a screen on an older car of mine 5 years on and apart from a very slight yellowing of the white paint, the aperture was in mint condition.

If you can get it this is good stuff or if not use normal grease, I've used both. Only prep is to tape up any interior you might get your grubby hands on.

I did help some other HAMBers out and did some step by step support in doing this. If you want any info Pm me.

Cheers Dan:cool:

[​IMG]

TheFett likes this.
  8. TheFett

TheFett

Do you have a YouTube video showing exactly how you do this? I think one could help out a lot of people. My 48 gets more rain inside it from the windshield than it keeps out.

ffr1222k likes this.
  9. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Glad this came back up. I was driving my truck in a shower this morning and it was leaking a little. All new glass and seals. I got to thinking that there must be some sort of sealant that I needed.

10. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Thread Resurrection!

I just installed a new lockstrip style gasket on my ‘54 dodge pickup and I put a tiny bead of 3M glazing and bedding compound in the pinch weld groove. A hose test proved that wasn’t enough on the driver’s side so I pulled half the lockstrip and lay a bead around that 1/2 of the outside rubber flange. Seemed all good after a quick soak with the garden hose.

Today I drove her to work and it rained all day. Instead of the usual footwell puddles I found only a couple trickles. One in each corner. It looks like the glass groove in the gasket was filling up and overflowing down over the gasket, onto and down my dashboard on the driver’s side. The parking lot leans left a little so that makes sense.

The passenger side is leaking from inside the dash- the underside where the windshield pinch weld comes together.

So it looks like the lockstrip needs to come back out and I need to seal up the passenger 1/2 of the outside rubber flange to the truck, and also lay a small bead all the way around the inside lip that holds the glass.

Not the end of the world and I’m already pretty happy with the reduction in rainwater in my cab. I had to repair a lot of rust in the pinch flange and A-pillars so it’s important to me to get this sucker watertight.

The post above the guy uses grease? Never heard that. I’d be worried about the oil attacking the rubber but what do I know. I’d also imagine it would seep out on hot days?

I like the idea that the 3m never fully cures but that it gets gummy and thicker after a few minutes, but again what do I know?

This was my first windshield I did myself so I’m learning a lot.

Does anybody have anything to say about the 3M stuff I’m doing? Or the grease trick? Axle grease? Synthetic grease? Very interesting.

11. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

12. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Same problem,new gasket, minor leaks, but I'm looking for NO leaks!! What sealer works? Bill

13. 5brown1

5brown1

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used 3M caulk strip on my 41. It's a little messy but seals well and is fairly easy to clean up. Just roll it into little strings and insert it into the slot between the gasket and the glass and the slot between the body and the gasket. Use popsicle stick cut off square to push it into the slot when needed. After you install the garnish molding, it will compress and ooze out for a little while. Just use the popsicle stick or a bondo applicator to trim it back and some 3M adhesive remover to clean up.

I had one leak that I had to go back and fix. Other than that, I'm sealed up great!

15. Yesss222

Yesss222

I used the red rubber grease by castrol (RRG) on my 77 windshield rubber gasket, I also use to work as a glazier replacing windshields with the old butyl type sealants, messy stuff, so with the RRG I used a little popsickle stick to load the grease in a plastic syringe and injected a nice bead under the lips of the installed rubber, also before the rubber goes around the windshield prior to installation I coated the edge of the glass all around about 3/8 inch up the sides and on the edge, the glass pops in really easily even with a new unformed gasket, hope that helps someone, wear latex gloves,cheers! also RRG is specially formulated for rubber and it does not melt or flow out, dont take a WS out if it leaks just add more sealant as rqrd

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I know some people have stated that they don't like silicone in their garage but Permatex has a windshield and glass sealant, PN 81730 that is very thin and flows into any small leaks. I had a small leak in the bottom corner of my '46 and used the stuff and the leak stopped.