Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A ´53 Riviera goes mild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Schrauberlehrling, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Hello,
    just need to start my first rebuild thread about my Buick. The car was standing for more than 30 years in a junkyard and a Dutchman picked it up at 2002 and brought it home. He was an Alfa Romeo Dealer and thought to start a custom to be cool. As he saw the car first time he was scared about the condition and sold it as it was to a german guy. He sold it as a untouched and nice car in good shape that needs about 2k$ to let her back on the track :D

He bought the car aslo unseen - what´s happened? To much work and to left hands and a call to god told him don´t start working on that car - you can´t do it!
    Until now it was 2007 one day after christmas and i checked the lists again to find my first own car. I just was helping my neighbour "Baumi" here in HAMBland. I checked the car one day after christmas and i felt surprised. It had a few owners during the last time but nobody touched the car. Everything stock and unrestored.

Just needed some floor pans and a lot of time to beat out all the dends around the cars.

Here it start´s coming to europe in 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here i picked her up in 2007 Christmas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

looks like a good solid start to me.

3. mechanic58

mechanic58

Ya know, you just don't think about cars like this existing over seas. And that trailer its on scares the fucking hell out of me. lmao! I bet the wee-waw factor was HIGH on that shit.

4. You´re right, a lot of those guys should stay in jail. But there is a hand full of people who try to bring them back!

I started to make a plan for the car. My plan was to french the headlights and but other rear lights on it. After i saw that the stock engine was gone i decided to replace it with a 401 and a 700R4. I love the nailheads and as long as it is a Buick i need to be fired by one!
    I also planed to upgrade the frontbrakes with dics and make a conversion to an open drive system

So in case of that plan i decided to pull the body off

(don´t ask, in that time i spend all the money i hade on her. I didn´t had money to rent a workshop and a lift, so i disassembled it in an old stall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After stripping the body i rewelded all rust spots and decided to spend her some sand and primer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In a thousand pieces, but looking better already. You're giving that car what it needs.

Good job. SUPER job!

6. Clevername

Clevername

Cool car. The look on your wife's face is priceless. "What the hell has my man done now?"

i am guessing you've done something since you picked it up in 2007?

Oops, looks like I was a little quick on that post:)

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, great that you saved this Cool survivor

8. You got skills dude,keep going it looks great so far.

9. Thanks for comments,
    @ Clevelandname: That was the previous owners wife, may she looked happy that this project was gone :) As i bought the car i was 19!

Next step was to upgrade the frame to put the body back on it

I replaced the torque tube and cut the frame to install a dual exhaust like it came from the factory

Here i start the cuts in the X - Member for a symetric dual exaust

[​IMG]

Open drive conversion like 67 - 72 Chevy trucks

[​IMG]
    (don´t worry, i welded u strud on the pick up when the body was back on and i knew the exact drive shaft position)

[​IMG]

Here after frame sand blasting and primer

[​IMG]

The next was to build the tranny adaper to fit the 700R4 on the nailhead. I know that there´s also a ready for installation kit for sale but this costs over 1000 Bucks until it is in Germany.

Here we go

[​IMG]

Don´t ask about the job to get the exact Bolt pattern. I clambed the transmission onto the plate and used a gauge for the flexplate. I used the inlet shaft of the tranny to find the middle. After the tranny was in place i marked the holes and finished the adapterplate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After i rebuild the whole frontsuspension i could start with the upgrade of the front brakes. I used scarebird adapterplates and it fits perfect. Only problems are the dropped fatman uprights. The steering diameter is like a truck now. The upper caliper bolt hits the upper support pins. But in case of that big steering i decided to lower the car to have a good reason for the big steering diameter :)
    I already relplaced the brake caliper bolts with shorter ones. It´s a little bit better now - but still like a truck. How cares?

Also added a set of shocks to get rid of the original lever bumpers. I welded a braket onto the frame and drilled a M12 thread into the lower outer support bin. Fits well and doesn´t interfere the steering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  10. As next the bodywork could start

I frenched the headlights and replaced the stock taillights through ´54 Chevy lee lenses. Also a lot of dents must be beaten out of the body before it came to the work shop. A friend of mine is a real metal artist and he could fix nearly 90%.
    As you see - it was owned by an old lady....

As it left for the dent repair. All bodymods were done. To french the taillights is hard work if you do it for your first time. Made it 4 times until i got as i looked for

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here before she get the color

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

Looking real nice

12. Here she came back home from the paintjob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear is still do high. Hopefully it will be straight with the interior. Otherwise i ned do lower her more
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Astounding job!

14. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That´s who she is now. I´m waiting for some trim to install the windshield and the new side windows. After all, it goes to the upholstery for the new interior and i need to mount new bumpers back on (act. at the Chrom Shop for new shine) Need to bring it on the street this year. Took me a long time, a lot of money and a lot of nerves. But to sit in it and drive around is all i need!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  15. Sure looks familiar to me, as I am doing the same to a 53 Skylark. Been at it two years.[​IMG]

16. Nice job! Love the rear wheel arch on it!

But one thing i learned - never sandblast a body.....

Damned. I don´t wanna rememeber how long i sucked that f* sand out of all corners and struds....

17. Great job

Car looks Awesome

18. n847

n847

Good lord thats beautiful!

19. mechanic58

mechanic58

Wow, beautiful, beautiful car. I am jealous. I bet that thing will really turn some heads going down the road in Europe.

20. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

21. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

very nice job, love the color

22. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

What a beauty! Turned out great!

23. Thanks guys! I can´t wait to see her with the license plate rollin down the road! Some meets are waiting next season!

Anyone can recommend a good air ride system? :)

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She's going to run and drive like a dream...and look beautiful doing it too.

25. In two weeks i´m back from China. They block nearly 50% of all pics here! I need democracy!

rustynewyorker likes this.
  26. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey neighbour! I never knew you have a build thread of your Buick on here!
    You have come a long way and the build quality is awesome. When I think back 5-6years , how we picked the car up and how it looks now! Unbelieveable...
    And now get a job were they don´t send you abroad for months and months:)
    When are you coming back?

27. Lild

Lild

Wow! That is stunning

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Great job.

29. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Awesome Job on the Buick, Very Cool!