Register now to get rid of these ads!

I would like to build a 57 Corvette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roger Walling, Aug 2, 2013.

1. metalman

metalman

57 Vette is way up on my wish list as well (and I'm a die hard Ford guy) but still a little out of my price range. Could'nt live with it stock however if I did have one so for me a repop body might be the way to go.
    Back in the 70's I restored a Black/ silver cove/ red interior 58 for a guy. I got to drive it to a lot of shows for the owner and all I remember is the damn big steering wheel sitting straight up and down. Worst car I ever drove to steer at slow speed like backing into a space at a show. I'm 6'4" and don't remember room being a problem but then back in those days I weighed maybe 130lbs. Maybe being 23 driving a gorgous Corvette I didn't notice some things.

2. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I am 6.0 ft 220 pounds it is a tight fit but not bad My 62 rides better than my 32 Ford but not by much. Disc brakes arwe an easy upgrade.

Attached Files:

3. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

shudda kept my $200 '56 that I bought in '73. FUN FUN FUN!!!!

4. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

here is a smaller diamter stock looking wheel

Attached Files:

5. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

(unwisely sold a year later for $950...)

6. I second the Jim Meyer bolt in front suspension. Check out his web. It doesn't get any easier than that.

7. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm with you. that's one of my favorite cars of all time. I know where 3 or 4 57 and 58 project cars are sitting but they're all "I'm gonna build it one day" cars.

I think there's a company making re-pop kit car bodies. That might be another option since you're not worried about being factory correct.

8. jkeesey

jkeesey

My buddy has a 58 that sat outside for a while and he just got it under shelter. He may be willing to sell if your interested.

9. I agree. I used to drive around in a friends '58. Yes, you can make it ride, handle, and brake better but then you have turned an amazing time machine into just another car.

Sorry fellas. I guess I'm just full of opinions today.:)

On the other hand, we are hot rodders, right?

10. PackardV8

PackardV8

If you like your deuce, you'll love a '57 Vette. The best thing about them is the vintage feel. With the skinnies and a solid lifter 283", you can slide and rev, have a great time, feel like a hero driver and not be going fast enough to hurt yourself.

With the new Vettes being so insanely fast and handling so incredibly well, by the time the driver skill and fun is entering into the equation, you're way far into the dead zone.

jack vines

11. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I've owned my 57 for 12 yrs. or so and I still love the thing. Yes, it handles like a truck and doesn't corner very well but it's an old car with old tech. So what !! If you want a car that handles like a new one buy a new one. Or a used C-4/5 for short money. The 57 sure draws the looks though. 2 or 3 times more than my 32 coupe.

PA261031.JPG

P7091554.JPG

57 Nov. 2011 007.JPG

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  12. bgaro

bgaro

i've always wanted to build one that would make the corvette guys throw up in their mouths.

13. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Yep what he ^ said

14. billcove

billcove
    from mass

check out Antique & Collectible Autos, Inc. I have bought 2 replicars from them the latest was a 49 merc I have been very happy with both of them. they offer a 57 vette. if the quality and service is the same as I received you should be very happy bill cove

15. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Great point here, its a tight fit for me to get in mine and at the track with the helmet on i have to slide down in the seat and head sideways, the track photographer came up to me and smiling said you look a little snug in there.

Mine is a 60 and here is a picture of my buddies 56.

jp

Attached Files:

16. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hey JP, Nice to here from you. If the OP wants to build a car to compete on the strip without breaking evering thing, have him contacy me. Jim

[​IMG]

17. 62chevy

62chevy
    from manitoba

I am currently building a 62 vette for a customer using a body built by this guy. http://www.backtothefutureproductsllc.com/ Excellent body, comes with all steel bracing like the original car. Also has trunk /roof cover hinges like original already installed. I built a frame for it using C4 suspension. I know, not traditional, but someone might be interested in one of these bodies as these are by far the best reproduction bodies I have found

18. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

drove mine from nj to Indiana this year and I got the 60 impala wheel in it and im not a tiny guy either

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I were to every buy one I would have to do something with that steering column,it would have to get a old style tilt column for me to drive it comfortably.

20. Now THAT quickens my pulse, buddy! Awesome photo!

21. Awesome builder too - THE C-1 go-to for racing. Sure wish you could make Joplin, Jim! :D

22. 32Rules

32Rules

Just got back from Louisville in my 62.
    All stock 340 hp car with original motor.
    I have discs on the front and a hurst shifter and roller tip rockers so I dont have to run the lifters all the time.
    I get more looks and comments on it than I do my 32 5window which is a real old time hot rod.

Vette rides better and the top goes down, making crusing a whole lot more fun.

I would not part with either one.

The vette will drive circles around my dropped axle 32 so handling no big deal.

I can out corner my buddies 62 impala 409, cause I just did coming home today.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  23. vetrod62

vetrod62

Thanks, tight budgets the last few years. But we made it out to the Beaver Springs Nostalgia Nationals in central Pa. two weeks ago. When the economy finally gets better (if I live that long) , all the C1 drag vette guys should get together somewhere in the middle of the country for a fun meet and bragging rights. Jim:D

24. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim,

How are you doing? been having a real good summer with the car, was able to run some easy 10s at the track at about 131 to 136mph, i got that sticker you sent me on the back window.

Thanks agian for all your help.

jp

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What a beautiful car!

26. second picture Endicott?

27. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Do it man ... Do it. You can buy a repop body so it should be easy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

you can add me to the list of dreamers as i would give my right nut to have one

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have a 61 and I don't care about numbers matching either. I was actually quite impressed with how well it rides and drives contrary to what everyone else is saying. Drive one for yourself and see and good luck ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375805395.169684.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

My dad had a 56 for over 45 years. He's the one that told me the only down side was the room inside. He's over 6' tall and had some seat backs made for more room. They are available in the aftermarket world now for some years. I think they are the same as 56-57 other than upholstry pattern.

http://www.streetrodgarage.com/58-62corvetteseatbackmorelegroom.aspx

Here it is getting hauled off to the new owner several years ago.

[​IMG]