Register now to get rid of these ads!

I would like to build a 57 Corvette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roger Walling, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I have always liked the looks of a 57 Vett, and told that if I ever rode in one I would never buy one.

As much as I have sworn off another project, I have been terribly bored this summer without something going on in my garage.

I would like to build one that would be a nice driver, I am not worried about it not being a "numbers matching car".

At first I was going to look for a 283 but I think that a 350 would be OK, along with dual master cylinder and maybe disks, at least on the front.

What are some of the things that I could do to the suspension that would make it more drive-able?

I'm sure that it would be worth a lot more is it was stock, but that is not something I am concerned with.

Any ideas?

2. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I've driven my brother's '57 and I gotta say.. it rides better than my deuce!! :) I'd say drive one first and see if you like it.

3. spdster

spdster

Rode in a 58 Vette once - park your butt in a wheelbarrow and have somebody pushed you around the yard - feels like that. The newer Vettes ride much smoother.

4. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

As I remember, they made something like 6339 of them..... dont see them on every corner.

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I would love to hack up a early Vette too!

Big block Mopar, 4 speed, very basic tube frame with sprint car style torsion suspension front and rear, rollover bar ala the 'Vette in Hot Rods to Hell....

Mmmm.... Tastykakes.... Spin some donuts and abuse it vigorously... Park it on the lawn....

6. The front suspension is basically '53, '54 Chevy. My b-i-l has a '58 that he put a Jim Meyer
    front clip with disc brakes, what a difference in handling and braking.

There is a company making new '57 Corvette fiberglass bodies, maybe that's a way to go. Basket cases still go for stupid money, the good news is the aftermarket makes virtually every part for it.

7. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

I drove a friends '58.....loud, noisy, uncomfortable, bad handling, not exceptionally quick, but the fun factor outweighed everything. If you want one, get it. A repo body on a newer chassis would be ideal...after all, they are a major cool looking car.

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'd slip an Art Morrison chassis under one.

I've had 2 '57's, and they do ride a bit truck-like. Awesome body style, especially beautiful with a factory color-matched hardtop.

Go for it!

9. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Had one years back, they wont stop in a 10 acre field, brakes, brakes,brakes !!!!!!!! AC would be next on my list, it was the hottest car I ever owned down in Miami Fla, plus the top & cowl vent always leaked so you had your own little micro weather system going inside with the wet carpets & heat. Sure wish I still had it. Bought it from an insurance co for $500 no engine or trans back in 1963

10. jhaas63

jhaas63

shocking.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Hahahahaha!!!!! :D ;)

12. iroc409

iroc409

Is this the HAMB? LOL. I must be on the wrong site!

13. kscarguy

kscarguy

My Aunt had owned a 57 vette since 1958. She drove it for a long time and then for several years, it just sat in her Chicago driveway under a tarp. Someone stole the hubcaps, but everything else was there. I called her many times to try and buy it. I discovered my cousin was also calling her for the same reason. She always said she was "saving it for her kids."

Then it happened, I made the call and she said..."someone offered me $2500 for it, so I sold it." My jaw dropped. Besides being mad at her for selling outside the family, I let her know that I would have easily given her $10,000 for it, and at that price I was trying to steal it from her. Then her jaw dropped.

To this day I won't let her live it down.

14. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

They don't ride nor handle as bad as you have probably been told. Particularly compared to what most HAMB folks are going cross country in.

A lot of your the comfort will depend on your size. Over about 6' and you will probably be cramped. Over about 200 lbs and you will probably find the wheel tight. Go to a smaller wheel and the steering takes quite a bit of effort.

Stock suspension is fine when rebuilt properly with good parts, and really good shocks and sway bar. I wouldn't waste the effort on discs, unless you are going to use a modern tire.

They are definitely cool. Maybe someone close to you will see this and offer to let you try one on.

15. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

:eek: You do make a good point there, I wasn't really concerned about the resale value, but you do make a very good point. I'l have to think about that.

Another person noted how a Deuce rides, and I have one, and I definitely don't mind driving that!

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

By the time you buy a repo body, all the trim, grill, bumpers, windsheild frame, etc, etc, to make it look like a '57 you might as well start with a '57 basket case if you can find one. It all adds up. You could cut corners by building a gasser type and that's what I would do if I were to have the coin.......................

17. 61 chevy

61 chevy

I hope you have deep pockets, money wise.

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I had one when I was 18 back in the late 60s. The only car I truly miss.but you know when you are young little things mean a lot. A friend has a beauty of one, and newer vettes also. He says the 56-57 are one of the most expensive to restore out of the C1 corvettes because of only the 2 year model.

Ago

19. Yes, the stock suspension on the early (53-57) C1's is really bad, but it can be improved with some simple changes. You have to add some rear traction bars, either Tractiom Master style or the above the axle bars off a '58 - 62. Also required is a rear sway bar which can also be from a '58 -62. Combine these with softer rear springs that have more arch than the stock springs. Choice of shocks is important, they should not be too stiff.
    In the Front, you have to add more caster. This may require a tapered spacer at the crossmember if you run out of adjusment at the A-arms. All looseness has to be taken out of all the joint bushings. Then put in softer springs and a stiffer sway bar. Radial tires and light wheels will also help a lot. All of these small changes will make a big difference. You can improve the handling and the ride. It will still ride more like a skate board than a modern car, but the fun is baked in.

20. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I hope you're no where near 6' or 250 lbs.

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

A '57 was my favorite Vette until I rode in a '67 435hp/427 coupe (my car). I would still like to have a '57 but as the years slip by and the prices continue to rise I have 2 chances of one being parked in my garage.....SLIM and NO:rolleyes:

Frank

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv got a thing for them (56 or 57) ever since I was a kid

We were at Huntington beach walking back to the car when a black one with silver cove - red interior - on Americans rolled threw the lot.

Id love to build one on a Morison chassis with a badass LS and a stick

23. Still have my 57, factory 283 horse Fuelie, 4 speed, both tops. Took it apart in the late 60s
    to put it in B/MSP, 301 and so on but never reassembled it. One of these days, when my other projects are on the road!!! LOL

24. fleetside66

fleetside66

I had a good friend that had a '56, with the dual-quad set-up & a 3-speed. He was in Nam & his dad asked me if I'd think he'd like a '56 or a '63 (if he came back) & I jumped at the '56. He bought it for him & when he got back, we drove the hell out of that car. I do remember it being very truck like, but the styling & raw brutality of it overcame any handling or comfort issues. At that age, what the hell did we know any different...radials were years away. I can distinctly remember driving down the narrow road that hugs the Delaware river in the fall...cliffs on one side & the river on the other....I think I want to build one too!

25. docmike

docmike

I have to say that I find this rather amusing. I have a '51 Styleline Deluxe that I'm getting ready to start kustomizing so I've been reading all the threads about '49-'54 Chevys that I can. I can't tell you how many times I've read when people are debating weather they should rebuild the stock front end or upgrade to Mustang II front end "it can't be all bad, the front suspension is basically the same as the early Corvettes" . And now here the shoe is on the other foot. You don't want that front end on your Corvette because it's the same as the sedans used. :eek:

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.....

Doc

26. I just sold my 66 stingray. I also had a 55 back in the day say 57. I also had a 95 all roadsters & really liked every one of them. My brother in Fla has a 56 & 62 that he is talking about letting loose of. Live one of the other posters noted if you are over 6' & a bit swelled around the mid section best find a bigger ride. You will probably be OK as you say you have a 32 roadster. Unless you want to spend $$$$ to build one look for a driver. You can work on it while you do it up your way.

27. pumpman

pumpman

I'm lucky to be the owner of a 56 vette. Ya, the ride may be not that great but it's worth the pain. Build your dream and enjoy the shit out of it. It is what it is, nuff said.

28. Swifster

Swifster

Corvette Central was selling a replacement body for a '57...

29. We just finished doing a 57 Vette in the shop and for me the biggest issue with driving the car was the lack of room for your legs. The general put the large steering wheel too close to the dash in the early Vettes which leaves very little room for your knees particularly for your left knee if you got to work a clutch pedal. I am only 6' tall and do not enjoy driving it for this reason. In, I think, 1961 the general moved the steering wheel farther away from the dash giving more knee room and this made a big difference.

30. carpainterjohn

carpainterjohn

I had a 57 but was a gaser came with out motor never drove .but did have a 60 about the same, loved that car we were young didn't know better,it was a hard ride. wish I had it now!