Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Ray Farhner's Corvette - Part 3

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I agree with you,Mark has the vision to take it back the the future,so to speak! HRP

3. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

you pretty much summed it up perfectly Ryan

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I don't know every nuance of the Peterson's inception, but at the least it seems like the suits don't care much about it's Hot Rod heritage. Wonder who will get what in the auction.

5. I would hate to see historic cars sold and the money pissed away. The "suits" have no idea nor do they care about preserving the history. To them it is about Gimme the money.
    Later,
    Dick

6. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

The question is does Mark really need a living room?

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

HAHA, hopefully it sells in my price range which is well below the auction estimate... we will see.. today is my birthday, so maybe it will be a gift... And yes I would put it back to its original form. I hate when people modify historic cars. It serves no purpose... to all the people that do that "build your own car"

8. silverdome

silverdome

It's a shame!

Maybe the donation of such artifacts should come with some strings. Such as if the museum doesn't want it or have room for it anymore then the donor gets a say in how it will be relocated or sold and the profits go to a charity of their choice.

9. pumpman

pumpman

I had to go and look up deaccession so I could pronounce it, thanks Ryan. As I understand it many of the cars where "GIVEN" to the Peterson museum to be saved. How the hell can they sell something they really don't own? Just don't understand, it's a damn shame and maybe even illegal.

10. chigger

chigger

looks like a bunch of good ones are going up on the block.
    I love the way the way that vette looks

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm in my late 40s and have a killer antique radio collection.I've thought about selling it or donating the top pieces to a museum when it comes time to meet my maker.Hell,I'll just sell it off and give the money to my heirs if some pinhead in a suit is going to peddle my stuff off.

12. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

You do realize that Ryan collects antique radios? Not that he needs any more.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

As someone who owns and restores these mid-year Vettes, I'm "supposed to" hate this car. But I don't. The exaggerated fender shoulders and un-symmetric nose and rear give it a distinctive 60's custom look. The interior is quite bland, but the body mods are wicked cool.

That said, I'm going home tonight to hug my bone-stock vette coupe and give it some love. lol.

14. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So...... where IS the $$$ going? someones salary?

"They’ve announced plans for a significant building remodel and, of course, they need the funding to so. BUT, according to them none of the proceeds from this “deaccession” is going to go towards this renovation"

15. I don't like the idea that Peterson is selling anything that they have been entrusted to.

That said, I do hope the Vette goes to someone who can take care of it. There are a lot of interesting cars at this auction. I am amazed at some of them. The Doane Spencer T-Bird is going across the block too.

16. When a vehicle is "given" to a museum, it's really being donated and that person could be doing it to create a tax deduction for him/her self. The transaction will also include turning over the title of the car so the museum can transfer it into their possession. They need to do this to include it in their insurable inventory.

17. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

I can just imagine the conversation going on behind the scenes regarding the sales.

"We've got top men working on it right now."

"Who?"

"Top men."

18. catdad49

catdad49

Have many thoughts on this subject(mostly negative) and also some questions. Who makes the decisions such as what to sell, how many to sell, what's interesting or not, etc? Doesn't seem like an all around great idea, but then again, I'm not a suit. There is no passion involved here!! Hope all the cars auctioned go to good homes. Did I read that a Doane Spencer car is not interesting? Proves my point about No Passion. Good Luck, Mark. Have a great weekend, Caprp

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The Petersen is a great place. I still believe that. And I'm glad it's around...

That said, I'm not sure I understand their choice in previous inventory. Here's an example:

[​IMG]

Now, I love this car... and I really like the guy that built it. But what the hell is this car doing in a museum? To me, it hasn't earned the pedigree yet. It should be driven and enjoyed and a history should be made before it should sit in a museum somewhere... Right? While being a fucking fantastic roadster, I don't think it's an artifact - at all.

To me, it's as if a pretty significant part of the Petersen inventory is made up of contemporary builds that are really great pieces, but not yet historically significant. Does that make sense at all? It's as if someone with the checkbook was going around and thinking, "Ewww, I'd love to drive that car a bit. I'll buy it and put it in the basement."

I know that's not literally the case, but I guess I just don't get what is and what is not a museum car.

20. autobilly

autobilly

mu·se·um

/myo͞oˈzēəm/

<TABLE class="vk_txt ts" style="MARGIN-TOP: 20px"><TBODY><TR><TD>Noun
    <TABLE class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">A building in which objects of historical, scientific, artistic, or cultural interest are stored and exhibited.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good piece, Boss, interesting questions. Perhaps they actually bought some of the cars? If yes, then seems like they're free to decide whether to keep them or not. But for donated cars, sure does seem unethical by museum standards.

Personally, I want to buy into the R.F. myth behind the Rat Fink origin . . .

Ray's stuff might have some huge upside potential, you know, the Elvis of car show promoters, the man behind the myth, and an artistic builder.

22. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I don't think that they can sell a car that they don't legally own.

23. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Outter limits vette just sold for 43.5k with enclosed trailer.

24. Well Mark? Didja

25. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Good deal for someone

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nope it wasn't me

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. problems with museums selling off;

the items are mostly donated with the reasonable expectation that it will remain there on display for others to see. hell, the person that donated the item could have sold it and kept the money themselves.

when the word gets around that a museum is selling off it's contents like a cattle auction, it could, and very well likely change peoples minds about donating items in the future to any museums in general.that is likely a concern in this case and why the other museums are frowning.

and lastly, it's a dick move.

one thing i can take off the bucket list. the petersen.

28. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm feeling that way,too.Am I outraged,no not really.Will it affect how I view the Peterson and whether I donate a couple of items I have that are museum quality?Positively Yes.

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I do know that this corvette was sold to the museum about ten years ago for over a hundred grand. Don't know how many were donated

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Hi Mark

Happy Birthday!

I worked at the Petersen for three years, and I know most of those cars well.
    The museum had very little money for buying cars, so usually they would have Mr. Petersen buy the cars and then donate them to the museum. As I recall that is the case with this car.