Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falcon drop springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 4, 2010.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hi gang, I read through an old thread today that popped back up regarding Arostar front springs in '49-'59 Ford passenger cars. Sounded like it worked great, and several were happy with the drop and the ride characteristics. My question is this, With all the Falcon people on the board, has any body run across a front spring that will drop a Falcon 3" or so, and provide a reasonable ride? I'm almost to that point on the Girlfriends Ranchero, and would prefer it to cutting springs. Any body?

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I forgot to mention it's a '62 with a six cylinder.

3. krimsonghost

krimsonghost

i would actually like to know also. i have seen cars with a shelby set up on the front with cut springs, but if there is an alternative to cutting springs it would be great

4. Babyearl

Babyearl

Isn't there a modification that can be done to the location of the upper A frame? I was thinking that it moved the A frame down 1 1/2" and cut one coil for a 3" drop, good ride and better handling. Maybe look on a Falcon site,,, just saying.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Babyearl, that's called The Shelby drop. You redrill and move the upper arms down 1", and it increases the camber curve to better keep the contact patch of the tires on the road through turns. It does lower the car a little, but in my experience, not that much. I was just looking for any experience with later model coils that might be the right length to do the job without a cut.

6. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Surely there are heaps of suppliers of lowered springs for Mustangs? same car..

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, but the Mustang springs out there have tendency to heavier spring rates, and a stiffer ride. If I was going to build this trucklet for me, that's how I would go. This is for my tiny adorable Asian girlfriend to put around in, so it needs to be comfortable.

8. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

I wanna know too! Its hard to ride low and hear a big thud with every pot hole!

9. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Six banger Falcon springs are soft, and don't respond badly to cutting. I've cut many sets to lower these cars, and they all ride just fine. 1 to 1.5 coils should should get you there, and for cheap too. If you screw up, easy to find more.

-KK

10. cracker head

cracker head

I did the same thing to mine when it was my daily driver with no problems. Cut them sum-bitches!

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

There is spring shop in Phoenix located at the corner of 55th Ave & Maryland,I think they are part of Eaton they would have the info you need to cross reference for a fit.

12. I had 2" drop springs which were rated "heavy duty sports" and with a 6pot and it would bottom out to bump stops all the time- and i'm not that heavy either!

I would recommend dropped spindles and stock springs. We can get 2" dropped spindles here. and if u wanted 3" i'd put a 1" drop spring on top of that.

I used to hate closing my eyes and gripping that big wheel every pot hole i saw at last second in anticipation of that "SMASH!" sound.

Maybe for cost try cutting original springs first and see how goes?

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Kustom Komet, thanks man! I've had a pair of cut coils in my personal '62 for about twenty five years or so, so I know it will work. I was just hoping someone else had come up with something a little more modern and maybe a progressive rate. As I said before, this is for my girlfriends trucklet, she would prefer that I not drop it at all, but that's just not possible with me! So ride quality is absolute paramount on this deal.

Jeff B2, Thank you very much! I have seen that shop before in passing, and I have to run over to Glendale powdercoat today or tomorrow, I'll stop in and see if they can help...

Xppetey66, Do you have a web address for the company making the drop spindles over there? I believe they should interchange with American stuff. Might be worth looking into.
    Thanks guys

14. www.rodshop.com.au

Search under stub axles. I just checked and it had a notice that they are evaluating supply vs demand needs, so maybe shoot them an email or search ebay over here.

15. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

Jamco Makes 3 inch drop springs, and you can also get three inch drop springs from Dearborn Classics. In fact, I think i'm going to order a set this weekend.

16. jcm65

jcm65
    from Santa Rosa

just cut it. If you go to far you can always get some 1" poly insulators to raise it back up.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks guys, I cut them about three years ago and the Ranchero morphed into a wagon that has been driven continuously for almost a year now. It looks like this... like I said, it wasn't a matter of not knowing I couldn't cut them, been there done that, just looking for a more modern spring rate.

Attached Files:

18. 5window

5window

A: Three year old thread!
    B: You'd damn well be ahead to do a thorough search before you send money to Jamco. Just send your money to me.I won't ship you any product either, but at least I'll use it to work on a hot rod.

19. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

2001-2 Eldo rear springs should fit , they are about 1/4 inch smaller in diameter, just a tad stiffer will lower car about 2.5 inches.

Moog 81009 or wrecking yard.

Hoop

20. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

I'm sorry, whats an eldo? And thanks for the info.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

X2 words of wisdom. I bought a new set of moog springs for a v8 and they were way too stiff.Just collecting dust now.:cool:

22. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Cadillac Eldorado

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool Hoop!!! I sat and looked at a Moog catalog 'til I was cross eyed and didn't see that one. I'll check it out tomorrow...