Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please Explain- Radiator Cap Lbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Aug 1, 2013.

1. I'd like to know more about selecting -what Lb Radiator Cap is to be used in a 289 SBF Motor.

How many options are there in radiator cap "pounds" and what determines which Lb one uses?

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Here is the way I do it... I use 10 - 12 lbs as the norm on an older vehicle. Reason being newer vehicles run hotter and need higher lbs to keep antifreeze from boiling.

If you have an older radiator, it may not be able to hold 12 lbs, so perhaps 10.... if you have a leak repair substance in you radiator perhaps 7 lbs is what you want till you get it fixed....

3. I used a 13 LB radiator cap on my302 sbf. HRP

4. daddio211

daddio211

Each pound of pressure increases the boiling point of the coolant X degrees. So water under a 10 lb. cap will boil sooner than water under a 12 lb. cap.

I just don't remember HOW many degrees difference there is. As stated, most older radiators (and probably water pumps and gaskets) can't handle the higher pressure of today's cars.

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

abe lugo likes this.

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Here's a good explanation:

http://www.heat-transfer-fluid.com/pdf/techpapers/pressure-boiling-point.pdf

6. Dwhip361

Dwhip361

I'm pretty sure that it's 3 degrees per lb. of pressure.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If its the stock radiator, you need to determine if it was pressurized and to what extent. Many cars through the late 40's and early 50's used zero pressure systems. An easy way to tell is the location of the overflow tube. If its below the gasket of the rad cap gasket it is likely 0 lbs. If its in the filler neck but the port is above the gasket it a presurized system. But even through the late 50's not very many exceeded 7 lbs. Essentially making the system work like a pressure cooker. It keeps the coolant locked down but it the heat and pressure raise to high it over comes the spring in the cap to allow the pressure out the overflow. Too stiff a spring will blow the rad before it allows the tube to be accessed.

neilswheels likes this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You need to know what year car it is to know what cap it is supposed to have. I like to back off one size on old cars, if it takes a 10lb I will use a 7 or whatever the next lower pressure is.

I do this to prevent leaks and blown rads in older cars. As I live in the north overheating is seldom a problem.

This does not apply so much on the newest cars with air conditioning and 16 Lb caps, you have to stick with the factory cap there.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Where do you find a 7 lb. radiator cap? Or even a 10 lb.? Can't remember ever seeing less than 12 lb.

10. i work at carquest. we keep them in stock.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes the boiling point is raised 3 degrees for every pound of pressure on the cap.

Fordstandard, you don't want to rely on what engine you have but pay more attention to what radiator you have. As mentioned previously by a couple of the guys if you have the original radiator that came with the car it most likely will only handle a 7 pound and maybe less cap while a new custom radiator or a radiator transplanted out of a mid 60's and up car can usually handle a lot higher pressure rating.

Any "real" parts house should be able to get you the cap you need.

Driver50x and SlamIam like this.
  12. as a rule of thumb, We used 2 degrees per pound of cap on roundy-round dirt track cars. coolant was not allowed , and these run hot ,4- 5000 rpm for 20 minutes at a time

So, when we used a 15 pound cap , our boiling point was 30 degrees above 212 or 242 degrees on pure water . we added products like wetter water , which increased boiling point another 20 degrees , (product claims 40)
    Anyways , this was our opinion and we did pretty well with it , won best engineered car, A shroud , and a clean radiator , inside , and out , is also a must , Joe

Driver50x likes this.
  13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I had a new aluminum radiator with a 20 lb. cap. Even at 215 degrees, it would not boil over. The old radiator in my '49 Chevy with a 216 had a 7 lb. cap. It never ran hot.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cap info posted is all good, one thing that often gets overlooked is the internal health of the cooling system. If you are running a used radiator it is well worth the expense of having a good clean out done, not just flushing. Have the top tank removed and the core "Rodded out" this removes any build up that may inhibit flow and give a purchase for more gunk to build up.
    It goes without saying that a used motor needs a good clean out before installation.
    A quality coolant/rust inhibitor is a must, also if the motor is running aluminium parts such as heads, water pump basically anywhere in the cooling system you may also want to consider a sacrificial anode in the system. The galvanic reaction between the iron block and the aluminium parts can expedite corrosion in the system, the anode will corrode before any of your motors parts. This is a good idea for either a used motor or a new build.

Doc.

15. VooDoo Child 56

VooDoo Child 56
    from Jersey

At Lincon Tech the teacher put a cup of water under a heavy glass dome sitting on a piece of rubber. He then hooked a vacuume pump to a port at the top of the dome, with minutes the cup of water was at full rolling "boil" at room tempiture. Boiling does not always mean hot.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The first pressure caps were only 4 lbs, I bought one for a 1950 car not long ago.

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  17. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

The cooling system does not know what lb cap it has and really it's not that important unless you run on the edge of boiling over all the time. What goes on the car these days is usually determined by what's available. I've run 3lb to 12 lb caps with no noticeable difference. I'd run the lowest available unless you know your cooling system is up to the task. Installing a recovery tank to keep the system full of coolant is more important than what lb cap you have imo....

Montana1 likes this.
  18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Yes, it is 3 degrees for each 1 psi pressure. That's with a 50% water / anti freeze mix.

4TTRUK

uncle buck likes this.
  19. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

So if somebody is running a newer motor but still using the stock radiator, should you get a higher or lower lb cap?

20. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

low as you can go.

21. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I replaced my 15 lb cap with a 1 lb cap to save weight. Picked up 3/10 in the quarter.

22. Canus

Canus

Radiator cap MUST be sized based on the radiator NOT the engine. Older radiators can not handle the higher pressures modern cars can. If you put a higher pressure cap on an older radiator don't be surprised if you blow out the radiator.

23. Ozzy39Merc

Ozzy39Merc

What's your take on a 15lb rad cap for an original Radiator on a 39 mercury? 2 ins and 2 outs. V8 A99 FlatHead.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

No , run 7lb if all is good with cooling system

Budget36 likes this.
  25. I run the heaviest one I can to keep the water in

ekimneirbo, bobss396 and Dedsoto like this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run ZERO PSI on our '56 New Yorker, and use a coolant recovery system. Radiator and 354 Hemi are stock, and the car has never gotten close to overheating. I believe they were originally a 7 PSI system, but if I can get by with running no pressure in a cooling system I do it.

leon bee and Montana1 like this.
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I size it to the weakest link. With a new US Radiator in my 56 I still would not go over a #7 because of the original heater core. When I install an Old Air Products AC/heater I went to 14#.
    If you don’t use a recovery system leave the coolant 1” down in the tank. This allow air in the system and really isn’t good for contamination.
    We have a cap tester for our dirt track car and test every cap. We run a 30# on a double flow aluminum AFCO radiator and have run 260* and lost no water which is distilled only.

X-cpe and rbrewer like this.
  29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

What are the radiator tanks made of? When I bought my Morris Minor it had too heavy a cap on the radiator, and that had blown the soft copper top tank up like a balloon.

If you're willing to take the risk, you could test your radiator by sealing the inlets/outlets except for one place to supply air under pressure, and reading the pressure at which it looks like it wants to start expanding. Be careful: you want to stop adding air while you're still in elastic strain, and hard-to-repair plastic strain can happen very abruptly. Subtract about 20% from that pressure to get a safe cap pressure.

30. I have a new aluminum radiator in my car and run a 12-15 PSI cap.