Register now to get rid of these ads!

My trip to the KKOA Lead Sled Spectacular in Salina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kory_kcp, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Kory_kcp

Kory_kcp

So last weekend I had the pleasure of waking up really early & driving to Kansas. Not always the most exciting thing to do but the 4 of us were hauling a 1930 Model A to the KKOA Lead Sled Spectacular in Salina Kansas.

This was my first trip to the show, the most time I had ever spent in Salina was blasting on through it. We made it there in decent time with relatively few incidents save for some bad breakfast choices on the groups part. We unloaded the A & met up with Aarons dad & friends that drove in from Iowa.

Eight guys, 4 cars, 400 miles from our homes & we were in Kansas...

[​IMG]

It was the most fun I have ever had at a car show and an amazing horsepower filled high octane weekend.

Friday night was filled with cruising, hamburgers & drag racing. By the time we got to the park the first day we only had a hour before the drag racing started at the old airfield. We cruised over to the strip and watched Aaron burn an entire tank of fuel and only make 8 runs, figured up he got 7 gallons per mile that afternoon.

There was a now local celebity at the show, "Farm Truck" from discovery's Street Outlaws was in attendance. Even though he didn't make any runs he did bring an awesome truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We spent the rest of the night cruising the streets of Salina & hanging out swapping hot rod stories. The street dance party went on till the early hours of the morning.

The next morning greeted us with overcast clouds and drizzling weather, after a bad breakfast at ihop the rain quit but the overcast remained. This stayed with us all day & made for amazing photos and a very comfortable day in the park.

The park was full, cars & trucks constantly moving & fighting for parking spots. Spectators flooded the park, vendors littered the main walkways & the celebrities mingled with the builders. Cars were being chopped up, memorabilia was everywhere and there were vehicles in attendance that I will probably never see again.

[​IMG]

In all I took over 2000 photos, I managed to cut it down to 700. I attached a few but if you want to see all of them they are on my site.

Car show: http://www.kustomcarphotography.com/kkoa_lead_sleds_2013
    Drags: http://www.kustomcarphotography.com/kkoa_lead_sleds_dragraces_2013

Thank you everyone that came out, this was a great show & I will be back next year for sure!

2. kismyss

kismyss

Dig your pics, even found a few of my panel wagon. The weather was awesome. Hope to see you next year too. Great job!

3. Kory_kcp

Kory_kcp

Thanks kismyss!

I do remember that wagon! I tried to shoot everything there but with so many cars it was impossible. See you next year!

4. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Is that Louise in the driver's seat of farm truck? Dig that show.

Thanks for sharing.

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Thank you for posting and sharing. Maybe next year the model A can be stretched on the open hwy for the 400 miles?

6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

First set of pictures that dont kill my computer trying to load. You have a great format and yes Salina is the best show ANYWHERE ! Thanks for sharing

7. Kory_kcp

Kory_kcp

haha right! It wasn't my car but he really didn't hear the end of it being trailered there. Especially when his dad drove his 27 down from Iowa lol

And yes Mashed, that is Louie in the driver seat!