Register now to get rid of these ads!

59 El camino rear springs or airbags question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 327Eric, Jul 28, 2013.

1. 327Eric

327Eric

This is a little different question, as I don't want to lower this thing at all. I had to sell of my f-250, and am now stuck with an enclosed GMC Yukon, or the ElCamino, which sags when I put my tool box in the back. I already blew a set of Monroe air shocks, so I am looking for advice here on how to beef up the rear suspension. Currently I have found new springs and load leveler shocks, but I am wondering if there are Air bags that bolt in to the stock location, that will work for just stock suspension travel and compensate for the weight. I am not an airbag fan, so I have no knowledge on the subject at all. Not gonna tow with it, just would like to carry a little weight.

2. ryno

ryno

Just make a taller air bag cup and run a double convoluted bellow #2600 pd bag. You can run it to a Schrader valve in the rear like an air shock if you wish.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, you can get a bag setup, cups/brackets that will bolt in place of the coil spring. You can run a Schrader valve to fill them, although I recommend separate lines and fill valves for each.

4. Yes bag brackets will bolt in place of coil and you can run a schraeder to fill as stated before. We carry them in stock if we can help.

5. Gimpy why separate lines for each on a street car? .... I have heard of that done on the strip for better hookup (varying pressure) but not sure of the advantage on a street driver. Seems if a line blows on a street car you would want both side to load down evenly.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do want an even load. The downside of an all air system, with a single fill, is that it has no natural roll resistance, like an individual metal spring, or an airbag, with a separate fill.

With a shared line, in a corner, a lot of air can be pushed out of the loaded side, into the unloaded side, enhancing body roll. It can make for some funky, unpleasant handling.

Also, one failure brings the entire end of the car to the bump stops.

7. Slimmey

Slimmey

AirLift makes a 1000lb bag that simply goes inside the stock spring. I put them in my '59 along with Monroe air shocks. Picked up 260 2x4's from lumber yard(had them stacked to the top of the window), it never settled more than 1". Ran them 11yrs. Before I sold the Elcamino, never had any troble woth them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If those are still available, they would be a good choice.

9. Slimmey

Slimmey

If I'm not mistaking I got them from Jc Wintney. I built my truck for hauling a goose neck trailer. Put both air shock and air bag valves under gas filler door. Always rode nice.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. lowelife

lowelife

Air Lift makes the bags that go inside of the coil spring. I ran them for a while on an OT truck and they seemed to work good.

11. Makes sense Gimpy ... thanks for getting back.