Register now to get rid of these ads!

salt flats help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bmita, Aug 1, 2013.

1. bmita

bmita

going to bonneville next week in the hot rod, always heard about guys have used WD40 on the chassis to help keep the salt off. has anybody used anything else? dont mind using WD40 just wandered if i could use anything else.

2. Cooking spray or any oil will work. Just make sure you wash it off when you get home. They boat shops sell a salt spray that you apply to boats to remove salt residue. As long as you wash the car good after going and I mean GOOD! Like on a lift or a floor jack and a car wash. Best wash is a rain storm on the drive home.

3. From what I have been told Pam non stick spray,,works great for keeping the salt away. HRP

4. Rochie

Rochie

I don't know if ANYTHING will keep the salt off. We went in '08 and after driving 2000 mi. home we pulled into my driveway and had a huge chunk of salt fall out of the gap between the frame and inner rockers. Best wash job for salt that I've heard about is to leave the vehicle in the driveway and set a circular lawn sprinkler under it for a couple of days.

5. uncle buck

uncle buck

I bought a gallon of the WD-40 and a spray bottle and sprayed it everwhere underneath my truck. When we got back to the pavement we walked around it and beat lightly on the body panels and had picked up very little salt. When I gat home I put the truck high up on jackstands in the driveway and put a sprinkler under it moving it around all day. This seemed to work well

6. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Yes the Pam type spray works good to protect the surfaces, but the salt will still stick to it. When I get home I have a lawn sprinkler I put under my truck and the trailer and let it run full blast and move it around as I unload and clean up ,, most of the day ,, and flush the shit out of it. then I spray it with salt away and rinse it again.

7. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

a friend uses diesel fuel to spray down the underside of his motorhome.

8. Rozzi

Rozzi

There is a self service car wash in Wendover. We always rinse the cars off there to knock off as much as we can, then hit them again when we get home. No matter how many precautions you take, the salt will still get everywhere.

9. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I use saltaway http://www.saltawayproducts.com but you still have to clean it good. If there is standing water at lands end like in some years you need to take apart all your brakes and re pack the wheel bearings.

10. bmita

bmita

thanks for info

11. Wendover loctite. Best solution is to just spray it off real good with water once you get home. Salt is water soluble. Biggest problem is that salt water will creep into threads and even washing with water does not get it all out. Prep including spraying with oil to seep into threads is a good idea.

I still drive my vehicles onto the salt, part of having fun with them. Just do a little clean-up afterward.

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

When I ran a Sprint Car we would fill up spray bottles with Baby Oil and spray the car down before MUD PACKING to keep the dirt from sticking and would it would wash out of the uniforms without staining. Stuff from the .99 store works great

Besides --Women are attracted to the smell for some reason

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  13. Smokey2

Smokey2

Pam IS good for keeping bugs off, and I imagine
    Salt also..........But, after Pam is subjected to heat, or hot days, it's a bitch to get it off.
    my 2 cents.

14. fastroadster

fastroadster

I found that if you use elephant urine it works great. Problem is you can only buy it in 55gal drums and you have to order it from Nigeria (from the same guy who won the Lottery) Hahhahaha

15. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

You need to take that SALT back:eek:

I like the sprinkler idea.

16. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

You're not going to keep the salt off man. Just decide that you're going to wash it like it's never been washed before when you get home. The salt goes everywhere. Just part of the game... Have fun! It's well worth the mess. If you see my big yellow wagon say "hi", and don't forget to stop by the HAMB bbq on Sat night!

17. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

On your way home on the last days, stop at the car wash on the right side just past the "bend in the road" put on by the local fire dept. Contributions accepted.

Firefighters know how to hose em down.

18. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Had a friend that bought a lawn sprayer pump thingy and he mixed diesel with a little kerosene (I think). Before he drove out onto the salt he sprayed down the underside of his pickup. He said it worked great.

Remember that this stuff doesn't keep salt off... it ony makes it easier to get the salt off when you go to clean the under carriage. Nothing keeps salt off... you can only try and make the clean up a little easier.

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Pam, WD40, baby oil, Saltaway and several others that have been mentioned, work good.
    Mudoff (trade name) that the sprint car guys use works great also.
    I use Mudoff and the salt washes off easily even after being on for a week.

20. jmpowie

jmpowie

How many babys did you have to squeeze to get the oil to use on your car?

They sell salt remover for plow trucks, I think JCWintney sells it.

21. pg409

pg409

Please drive only on the packed, marked surfaces......do not venture off the "roads" they have laid out to get that photo op. Also, put plastic bags on the floors of your ride. The salt sticks to your shoes and tracks inside big time.

22. Ole don

Ole don

Before you leave home, remove all the wheels and use grease between the hub and the wheel, and on the stud threads. Then, spray two coats of self polishing kitchen floor wax on everything you can see under the car. Use goggles, the stuff really smarts in your eyes. After you get home, remove all the tires and wheels, with the car on stands, use a lawn sprinkler for one whole day, moving it around with a broom handle. Remove every fastener you think you may ever need to remove, clean threads and use anti seize on it. If any floor wax is still there, use ammonia and more water to remove it. Wire brush, prime, paint. Nothin to it!

23. Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  24. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

The steps you take to clean and reprotect your vehicle After you get home will be more beneficial to you than the steps you take Before to prevent the salt from sticking. Lawn sprinkler overnight works well. I also apply a product available from most automotive paint stores called Rust Seal, made by SEM. Converts rust back to metal and leaves a protective coating for next year. (salt fever its an addiction) People have been amazed at the before and after on this stuff. Make sure you stop by our pits and say hi. 7800 Blown Fuel Streamliner

25. bmita

bmita

cant wait to get there, thanks everyone for all the ideas

26. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I've been there, & the best way to have fun on the salt flats is to do it in someone else's car !

27. cracker head

cracker head

^^^^hahahaha!! Lot of truth in that statement....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Having been a couple of times, the best is yes the rain storm on the way home. What you have to be carfull of is forcing the salt deep into the chassis and suspension with high pressure, low pressure sprinkler for a few days is good once home.
    We pay the guys right at roads end that are on the salt, we think it is staying on the salt. Once we get home, I still wash it again but it still falls off especially if we have a dew morning, so for a few weeks I go around picking up falling chunks and putting them into a bucket I take back the next year, not going back? Sure, once you've been there,,,, On Chick's Ute, after a number of B-Ville trips, we had to redo the trans and when I pulled off the trans and took a look at the flex plate it was rusty brown on the converter side and there was salt encrusted between the flex and block, it gets everywhere!

29. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

A friend who has run his roadster at Bonneville recommends as much disassembly as possible, then using compressed air to blow the salt out of all of the nooks & crannies before a washdown. The reasoning is that once the salt is wet, it turns to brine which seeps into all of the seams, hard-to-reach areas, etc.

30. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

SALT X works great.

Elwood