Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake line size questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drw47, Aug 1, 2013.

1. drw47

drw47

Got my master cylinder (M/C) - pedal assy installed on my '29 Willys. Now am looking at what lines I need and if I need a proportioning valve. First, I am pretty sure the rear port on the M/C is for the front disc brakes and the front port is for the rear drums, Right? Next, the line fitting size of the holes for front and rear are different on the M/C and neither is the size of the line fittings (both are larger) at the calipers and wheel cylinders. What the heck? I thought all the fittings were 3/8-24. Do I just need some reducers at the M/C for the 3/8 line fittings? Finally, will I need a proportioning valve for the rear drums with this disc/drum system? I want to do it now rather than having to do it later, if I am going to need it. Any light you can shed on all this is greatly appreciated ! Thanks

2. Roadsire

Roadsire

3. Roadsire

Roadsire

I ran all 3/16" size line, I bought reducing fittings from MP brakes, but any auto parts store should be able to get you what you need. The rear chamber on the MC goes to the rear brakes I would use a adjustable proportioning valve on the rear line that way you can fine tune the system to match best for your car

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tubing nuts for flared lines come in a variety of diameters, for each tubing size.

I plumb everything with 3/16" lines, which has a "native" fitting that is 3/8"-24, but often have to seek out other tube nut sizes, for the numerous and various things I am sticking together.

You can get adapters, too. I am not sure what you have out there for auto parts stores, but the better equipped ones, like NAPA Auto Parts, out here have "problem solver" brake lines. They have the oversize nuts. They are about 10" long, and I most often just cut the end off, and re-use the nut, with a fresh flare, on a long line. Some stores, occasionally have the oversize nuts in-stock, for example 1/2"-20 tube nut, on a 3/16" line: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...rease-Stick-Company/_/R-BK_6413321_0006464518

I always use a combination valve, or manual proportioning valve with a disc/drum combo, unless the application is well-known to not need one.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is NOT always true. The smaller reservoir is for the drums.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mustang, Camaro, Volare.

6. drw47

drw47

Thank you all, I have enough to get busy!