Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me diagnose this drivetrain squeak! with VIDEO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Aug 1, 2013.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Specs:

1954 Ford Customline coupe.
    Ford-o-matic
    1957 9 inch rear, mid size bearing 11x1.75 brakes, etc.

BRAND NEW axle bearings, axle seals, u-joints front and rear, rear wheel cylinders, rear shoes.

This squeak was present BEFORE all this work was done too. It persists, and is driving me insane.

Forgive Photobucket for flipping the video upside down, and not providing me a way to remedy that.

You might notice a higher pitched, higher frequency squeak during some of the video. That's just the club plaque swinging, it's the angry bird noise I am concerned with.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Hard to say from the video. Try to use a stethoscope to help pinpoint it. It sounds like the frequency is to slow to be the drive shaft so by guess is something to do with the rotation of the wheels.

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the frequency is speed dependent. i just backed it out the driveway, and then back up again. but if i took it on the road, you would hear it get faster and faster with increasing speed.

and it appears to be louder at slow speeds, and quieter at higher speeds.

4. Sounds like someone is rocking and rollin' in the back seat kinda squeak! HRP

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yes! but i'm not having that kinda fun!

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so, i'm thinking pinion bearing?

or, someone on facebook suggested wheel center/rim interface? bad tire? although, i have swapped rear tires side for side to see if that made a difference. and it didnt. noise doesnt move.

7. mustangsix

mustangsix

Sounds like whatever it is, it's at the same speed as tire rotation so you can probably rule out anything on the driveshaft because it would be spinning faster than that.

I would check those wheels again. Maybe the center bore of the wheel is rubbing something or maybe something isn't allowing the wheel to fully seat. Maybe one of your axle flanges is bent and the whole thing is wobbling against the brake backing plate.

Is the noise still there with the car jacked up with the wheels in the air or is it only when the car is on the ground and the suspension is loaded?

8. Hard to tell upside down,,is the car moving? HRP

9. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

I had a funny sound that could have been either trans or rear end. Turns out that my shifter arm was bent in touching my trans and it conducted drive train noise to my steering column. Trans guys said it was the rear end.:cool: Rear end guys found the bent shift shaft caused by the trans guys at install.

(not a hot rod, but my daily hauler at the time)

10. 51custom

51custom

Just an idea...you could have a bent wheel and the tire rubbing on one of fender skirts just a touch ...I also ran across a u-joint installed with a zert fitting hitting because it was installed the wrong way...
    Jim

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

It appears that the drum is moving between the wheel and axle. the stud holes in the drum are slightly mushroomed, and you can see the wear at the center of the drum.

I am gonna see if I can get a drum and replace it and see what happens.

[​IMG]

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Yes, the car is moving, and the noise is consistent with the rhythm of the movement and the cadence of the noise is in time with the speed of travel.

13. Bluedot

Bluedot

Some of us old farts who can't hear squat any more, even with hearing aids, have far fewer car worries than those of you who can still hear. Watched/listened to your video, sounded fine to me (no squeak) haha. My bride and my son are constantly telling me of strange noises in my cars when they ride with me, but if they don't tell me, there's no problem. I've got rattles and squeaks in my coupe that I'll never know about or fix.
    You might be on to something with the drum and backing plate, though I'd think brake application or not would significantly affect the noise if that's the source.

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

weirdness... is that by chance a front drum that used to be swaged to the hub installed on the rear and not seating correctly on the lug studs?

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i have no idea, andy. my dad installed the '57 rear in this car sometime in the early '00s. i helped him some, but figured he had the project in hand. i had things apart last year to replace seals and axle bearings (which i just had to do again...) and didn't notice any issues. of course, i wasn't looking for them either, as i hadn't had any trouble.

now, i'm not even sure if this is right. and i'm not sure how to test, unless i swap drums side for side. cuz you can't get the drums for these brakes anymore i dont think.

i might just tack weld the drum to the axle center and see what happens...

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so, i hammered the stud holes flat, put things back together, and honked it back together with a pry bar. no squeaky.

17. gonzo

gonzo

Nice. Now the only squeaks will be coming from the back seat, when parked. I applaud your tenacity, I'd have turned up the radio.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

John, it was so embarassing I couldn't ignore it. I went to a funeral today, and people were staring. It was awful.

And the fact that it was essentially a loose wheel, makes me very glad I tracked it down. And now I know that sucker needs to get cranked on to be tight enough.

19. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Second Question ? How many of you HAMBSTERS turned your Monitor upside Down ?

I couldn't resist.

VR&C.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Glad it was something easy,I was going to say take a look at the u joints.

21. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I still think it was your hubcap...:rolleyes:

22. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Ha!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!