Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 BelAir Front Suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Maureen, Jul 30, 2013.

1. 53Maureen

53Maureen

Ok -- here is the first thing I want to get finished on my 53 BelAir.

It has the stock front end with drum brakes. When I brake she pulls hard right and the steering is sloppy. I would like to not make this first item of business my last one because of budget-- so all ideas would be helpful.

Should I repair what I have or save up to put in disc brakes with a new front end? (I know mustang II is a popular route).

This is a cruiser for me and not a daily but I'd like her to drive solid and respond when braking.

Thanks.

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

call chassis engineerig i iowa great simple bolt on 53 chev front steering

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

4. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

maybe your left one needs adjusted try adjusting it. I adjusted mine before I went to salina this past weekend cause it always seemed like it pulled. Now I feel like it's pretty even. I also noticed I had low tire pressure in the side it pulled to. Mine is a 51

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  5. A pull can be a bad hose or an out of adjustment set of shoes.

Hoses are under $10 at Napa and the shoes and hardware are also all cheap, wheel cylinders are about $30-$40 a shot but can also be had. You could replace everything except the drums for around $150-$200. The drums are available also but you might have to have a shop change them as the hub's not included.

Steering box may just need to be adjusted, it probably has some wear, look over the various bushings and joints too.

6. 53Maureen

53Maureen

All great stuff guys! Thank you for the tips! Keep them coming and I'll keep you updated.

7. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

You dont need disc brakes unless your running a V8 or you like to spend money. If the drums are properly adjusted and you have no leaking cylinders and youve bleed the brakes you should have no problem stopping. Last time I had a pull it was because one cylinder was leaking and the other side was doing all the work. As for the steering, jack up the front end then steer the car, you will see where the sloppy steering is coming from. alot of the time slop is in the steering connections not the box and if your running bias ply it will seem like your steering box has play. If you got the time I would rebuild the front suspension.

8. 53Maureen

53Maureen

Thanks! I am running a 350 small block with an turbo 350. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. Would you still keep the drums with a 350?

Appreciate the steering tip

9. Rebuild, it's a good suspension system. As far as disk brakes, I'm the original owner of a 67 RS/SS Camaro, 350 4 speed with drum brakes. Both cars are close in weight. Never needed disk. In fact "I MAY BE WRONG", but I think the 350 and 235 weigh close to the same.

10. Johnnymurt69

Johnnymurt69

Man my 53 pulled like a bear to the right when I first got it home. I figured major issue. All it needed was adjusting . Now she stops nice. I got lucky, but thats where I would start.

11. 53Maureen

53Maureen

Good stuff! Thanks!!!

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

All you need is a brake spoon, 10 minutes worth of adjustment and you'll be stopping just fine. Nothing wrong with discs and M2 if that's your trip, but it's Damn sure not necessary. Ps a spoon cost less than 10$ at any auto parts place.

13. If you decide to go disc, I've got a 54 cross member set up for disc brakes in the classifieds. I'd be willing to part out if your interested.

14. Another thought, my 49 shoebox used to do that and the problem was one wheel cylinder was gummed up. Replaced the offending part, problem gone.

15. 53Maureen

53Maureen

Yeah? It's called a "brake spoon"? I trust you... but wanting to make sure when I go to the parts store so they don't look at me weird. Ha.

16. 53Maureen

53Maureen

I guess I just need to get in there and see what it all looks like. **Weekend project set!**

17. sweeden

sweeden
    BANNED