Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 pulleys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goldbond, Jul 31, 2013.

1. goldbond

goldbond

Hello H.A.M.B. So I am working on a 48 f1 and converting it to a 302. I got the motor out of a 91 f150. Now that I'm switching it to be simpler I am taking the belt system off and running v belt pulleys. I went to my local pick n pull and found them. My question is the pulleys don't fit, does the water pump need to be changed, So the pulleys will fit? I can't remember if the water pump went the other way with the old belt system. Any help will be appreciated! Tim

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Is the system you took off a serpentine type? HRP

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. Deuces

Deuces

Probably..... My '96 F-150 has one....

4. goldbond

goldbond

The motor was serpentine when I got it but the pulleys I got was off a non serpentine motor

5. Your going to have to get a new water pump,the serpentine water pump is reverse flow and will not work. HRP

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Why not leave the serpentine belt system on it... You said simpler. that's simpler

7. If you got the pulleys off of an old engine they may be for a 3 bolt harmonic dampener instead of the newer 4 bolt. I had to change mine and I had to go with the older pre 1972 pulley system with the water pump exit on the passenger side and a 3 bolt pulley on the crank dampener.

8. goldbond

goldbond

They are four bolt but looking at it the water pump pulley doesn't match up to the bolt holes on the pump

9. goldbond

goldbond

And I would run serpentine but I don't need most of the crap on it, I just thought it would be an easy swap, but maybe not

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Look at it this way. You got 4 out of your first 5 posts in this thread

11. goldbond

goldbond

That's true!

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yes, you need to swap water pumps. Your next choice is between passenger or driver side outlet to match your radiator. '65-69 is passenger side, '70+ is driver side.

Beware of pre-'65 pumps because they use a different timing case cover.

13. HRP is right serpentine is reverse flow . but you need to change timing cover too because of different pitch to the water passages. Leave it the way it is. Take the air pump and air conditioning off if that is what you are referring to.Go to a late model mustang dealer or ford racing get a idler pulley for deleting those items. Buy a set of under drive pulleys they come in aluminum or black anodized. I would buy a billet tensions only because they are smaller. Assemble it ,take a cloth tape measure or a piece of string and measure around the pulleys for a length on the belt. This might take a few trips to part store to get it right. Take a picture or draw a schematic of the travel of the belt before you disassemble.

14. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Us e the serpentine belt system and just run a tape measure in place of the "belt" in order to get the correct length after you have removed the "extras".

15. If you want a traditional looking truck the serpentine belt system will look like crap. HRP

16. I agree. I am doing the same swap in my Model A. If you want the shinny stuff March sells a set for this swap but its going to set you back a few hundred bucks.-Fat Chico

17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

18. If you're only runnin' an alternator, you can use this serpentine set up:

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=158#

It works on both standard n' counter rotation Ford water pumps.

I run a standard rotation, left outlet, 81 5.0 Lincoln Town Car water pump with the kit. Here it is on the 81 flat tappet 5.0 (before I hammered a rod bearing):

[​IMG]

Here it is on the replacement 347 stroker:

[​IMG]

I'm runnin' a EOME-6312-C7A four bolt crank pulley n' a EOVE-8509-A7A water pump pulley.....

19. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375372221.362730.jpg

Same bracket, better look (maybe) with a cheesy cell picture...

20. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I'm also running a 6-rib belt, non-serpentine with just the alternator. Needed to change the water pump and buy a 6-rib water pump pulley.

[​IMG]

21. goldbond

goldbond

That looks awesome

22. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Thanks! My motor was out of a 1990 Mustang. You may already know this, but I also needed to change the distributor (roller motor) and decide whether to use an electric or mechanical fuel pump. If mechanical, you'll need an older timing cover too. The distributor I used is a Richporter FD30. There are some other tweaks, if you're interested.

23. I used the March pulleys on my wife's wagon,,HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

HRP - looks great. Looks like you have the same issue I'm finding, the bypass hose from the water pump to the neck on the intake is kinking. Does it run ok like that?

25. The small hose is a molded hose,,no problems. HRP

26. goldbond

goldbond

Those pulleys look good