Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 chevy frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fmzc2009, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Fmzc2009

Fmzc2009
    from Iowa

What's the best frame to use for a 1957 chevy stepside? I am very new at builds and want all the advice I can get.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. The best one is the one it came with. Lots of possibilities like dropped axles, MII suspension, Camaro clip. Don't mess with what is there. That and go do an intro!!

3. Kinky6

Kinky6

Um, how about a '57 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup truck frame? It works so well, ya would think it was designed for it or sumpthin'! :rolleyes:

2cd series 55 and '56 should work quite well also. '58 & '59 are very close, will work with minor modifications. So, was this a trick question? Did I win? ;)

BTW, go back to the very tippy top of the first page, follow the links, and do an intro like it says, m'kay?

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

4. Fmzc2009

Fmzc2009
    from Iowa

I'm on the app... what's an intro? I was told to do a Dodge Dakota frame because it would be a complete chassi that I wouldn't have to mess with on my first build.... also easier to find in Iowa! Sorry guys newbie < ---

5. Fmzc2009

Fmzc2009
    from Iowa

Oh I forgot the main part it has rack and pinion and on im on a budget.

6. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

A frame swap for your first build? Seriously?

7. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Keep the factory frame unless something is wrong. I'm in the process of undoing the sins of a previous owner when they ditched the factory frame and hydramatic from my 55 suburban. W/out any insight to the condition of what you have to work with, i recommend cleaning up/servicing/rebuilding what you have since it will require nothing custom. Even now, i kick myself for going MII and not rebuilding the suspension and putting in a dropped axle and i've built quite a few hamb freindly/non friendly rides.

I made the mistake on my first build wanting something custom, MII IFS, Vette IRS, boxed chassis, etc and quickly got over my head and patience. I started w/a running truck that didn't need much and ended up selling it as an disassy project and still kick myself 17yrs later for it. I recommend sitting back and deciding what you want and if it fits to budget and time to build. I think most if not everyone on here, even most experienced, would tell you that it's tough to fight the loss of interest from getting in deep on a project.

8. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

All of the above...

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Rack and pinion is overrated, there is nothing wrong with the stock frame, it is a truck after all

10. Fmzc2009

Fmzc2009
    from Iowa

I have the 1957 frame but its just the frame. I would like a chassi because I am a newbie. I might bag it not quite sure yet.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. SoCalChevy54

SoCalChevy54

Use a S10 frame......;)
    Lets how fired up people get....

12. dawsonn57

dawsonn57
    from Michigan

MPHUDAK ....I couldnt have said it better. Work with what you have.

13. 93chevy55

93chevy55

i have a 55 2nd series same body style i put an 84 c10 1/2 ton under mine and drives a whole lot better than the original bought a kit for the swap made it really easy