Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Opinions needed: Black Cragars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59chev, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

I am in the planning stages with my truck and I'm trying to decide on a set of wheels for it. I am going for a 60's mild custom / lowrider look. I was at a show a while back and see that they are making the cragar ss rim with a black center. I was playing around in photo-shop and added these wheels and did a quick lowering job. What do you guys think?

Original photo and photo-shopped attached:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

3. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I vote "anthracite" AKA gun metal or magnesium grey. What ever you want to call it.

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Me 2... I didn't think I was gonna till I looked at the pic.

5. I was thinking about gray too. They come in chrome, black and gray.

I definately want to run pinner white walls, and you see them all the time on chrome cragars, supremes or rockets but I've never seen black or gray. I want to avoid the muscle car/truck look. I plan to run 15x 6s with a 215/70-15s regardless of the rims I choose.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Same here, I looked out of curiosity and then realized I liked them.

Don

7. 327Eric

327Eric

They look to modern. My .02.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do it - these wheels are under-utilized.

And it may be one of the few instances where the new wheels are better than the originals, as they are one piece cast where the old g/t wheels were composite. Below is one awaiting rejuvenation.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1375290353.665510.jpg

9. jaymann

jaymann

Put me in the same boat as the others who didn't think they'd like them until seeing the picture.
    Looks great to me!

10. that was one of my concerns too, but when i was researching them I found this. It is a cragar G/T. Cragar still makes a G/T cap that I believe will fit that wheel.

This is the truck that got me thinking about running cragars. I like the look of it was just thinking about running a black wheel for something a little different.

Like I said before, I have seen lots of chrome cragars with skinny whitewalls, and the attached picture proves that a black version was available. I wonder why no one choose black?

Attached Files:

11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And Cragar did a great job of matching the look of the old wheel - they kept the nice wide lip that prevents it from looking like a new take on an old wheel, IMO.

BTW is that your Cragar catalog? I'd love to see some shots of the inside.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  12. rockfish

rockfish

I like the wheels you photo-shopped in but aren't those Fuchs alloys off of a Porsche? I'd like to see an actual set of the black centered SS whiles pasted in. Nice looking truck. I even like the steelies.

13. Odd man out,,I don't care for painted Cragers unless they are the old GT style Cragers. HRP

14. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

These are a set of S/S wheel with satin black power coating. been thinking about running a set of stainless steel riing on it to break up the black.

[​IMG]

15. OK, next question: G/T or SS? They are both offered in chrome, black or Gray. The SS is a two piece wheel and is offered in the 15x6 size I wanted. The G/T is a one piece wheel and the smallest size I can get is a 15x7. Is there that much difference visually in a 15x6 vs 15x7?

Cragar SS:
    http://www.cragarwheel.com/products16-7/CragarSeries61BBlackSSSuperSportDirectDrill

Cragar G/T:
    http://www.cragarwheel.com/products16-42/CragarSeries610BGTRWDBlack

It looks like the new G/T comes with a more modern center cap but they just started making the original style cap again.

New G/T Cap:
    http://www.cragarwheel.com/articles1-4/NewCragarGTCap

16. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I think they look o. K. , but I think you could do better for a mid sixties look. How about chrome reverse?

17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

They might get lost on an all black truck where they might pop on another body color. I'd lean towards the gray ones.

18. Thanks! I right now I am running the stock suspension with 6 lug wheels. I have a camaro clip and 10 bolt rear end I am going to be putting in so I will be changing to 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern. The wheels I photoshopped on there are actually a set of Cragar G/Ts.

Pic I used attached: The pic originally had redlines so I changed them to shinny whites

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  19. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Do it. I like it.

20. pitman

pitman

Close to unique in appearance, they set your truck apart, nice choice!

21. alchemy

alchemy

Be aware that the Cragar GT is very much a muscle car look. They came out in '65 or so, and were probably originally aimed at Mustangs and Barracudas.

That said, I love Cragar GT's. I have a couple original sets, and used a set on a '39 Chevy almost two decades ago. I fully polished that set, and it was a different look. Not a Cragar SS, but more vintage looking with the squared edge and the aluminum.

Can't say I like a whitewall on them though.

22. ryno

ryno

I don't have a pic handy now, but I ran some grey painted ones on my unibody. If you search the build thread there's pics there.

Used wheels with bad chrome,sand blast,paint. You can find them cheap.

23. Heo2

Heo2

We used to paint the spokes on cragas ss in the 80s
    when the crapy crome on the spoke came loose

24. Tough call, I lean towards chrome personally.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Saw a '58 Chevy leaving the Syracuse Nationals with satin black Cragar SS's and the bumpers and other chrome in satin black to match, on a coral-ish red car with white top. It looked surprisingly decent that way.

26. Wow Ryno!! your truck is awesome!

27. Any rims: chrome first, polished aluminum a close second, then painted.
    That my opinion yet my 65 ElCamino has ET's with painted spokes.

28. This. There's already plenty of black there

29. The Doddfather

The Doddfather
    from Va

never been a fan of cragars but i like the SS in gun metal

30. mrchevrolet2

mrchevrolet2
    from usa

I like any 5 spoke wheel, just get rid of the white walls, mag wheels don't need white walls, IMO.