Register now to get rid of these ads!

car cruise rant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrchevrolet2, Jul 30, 2013.

1. mrchevrolet2

mrchevrolet2
    from usa

This might get deleted but I've got to get it off my chest. Was visiting a friend last week in the Pittsburgh area, he says there is a PID Reunion Cruise at a Sonic in Bridgeville, Pa, not too far from his home. So we go, cruise is to start at 6pm, we get there at 5pm, lot is more than half full. Talked to a couple guys, they said there were cars there at 12 noon. Is this normal around the country? Where I lived until retirement, you would find a few cars early, but not 6 frecking hours.
    My buddy says there is a cruise at a place called Mineral Beach, (large public pool) Friday evening, well we drive by the place at noon going to lunch, there are traffic cones saving parking places, chairs with caution tape saving places. WTF??? Is this normal or just this part of the country?

2. No it ain't normal,obviously those idiots don't have a life or anything else to do. HRP

3. they are called "POWER PARKERS".... you should see the line at GG in the morning. There lined up down the street hours before it even opens.. All want the best parking spots... I don't get it... Nothing better to do I guess LOL !

4. 54sled

54sled

Western pa is hot rod country,why you boys whining anyway?,better than sitting on the hamb all day!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You should see Bob's Big Bob in Toluca Lake. Typically, people show up from 10 am, park their classics, then catch a ride home. Then the come back in the evening when everything starts. The Temecula Show is a 3 day event. However, locals park their extra O.T. cars on Thursday so they can come back Friday to replace their O.T. cars with their Rods.

6. A Boner

A Boner

In Wisconsin, we never use traffic cones or caution tape!

7. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Monthly cruise at the NHRA Museum is the same way.......

8. who's whining ???? I rather sit on the HAMB all day.... that's for sure ! :D lol ,,,,P.S. someone just stole your parking spot ! Ha!

9. Topstrap

Topstrap
    from East Ohio

I got to the PID cruise about 6:30 and went up and down each row looking for a spot. Quite a few vacant spots, well they weren't any cars in them but lots of empty chairs holding them for somebody.

I finally saw a spot with a few fellas sitting in the back and asked if it was taken and they were saving it for a buddy that didn't show and I could park as long as I saved them room to sit behind my car. Ended up being H.A.M.B members so it worked out well.

I too heard that some were there 5 or 6 hours early but I don't agree with using up parking spots just to spread out your chairs and use that spot for your living room. It was crowded and all those saved spots could have been available for cars.

Sometimes I'll head to one maybe half an hour early if it's a hot day and I know there is a shady spot to park near and have been known to save a spot for a buddy but would never use up a spot for a seating area, especially at a larger cruise where space is a problem.

I drove 65 miles up from St. Clairsville and didn't know how much parking was available or how big the turnout was going to be but all worked out well. Met some new car friends and got to see a lot of cars I hadn't seen before.

Topstrap

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  10. 54sled

54sled

Not saying any names.lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. A lot of these guys want to park by each other so they can keep an eye on each others cars and not worry so much about the late model monster truck pos denting your ride. I can see their point but I agree, it's a pain when the lawn chair and cone committee lay claim like a dog pissing on a log.

12. When chairs or cones are where I want to park ,I get out move them and park. I have been told hey I am saving that spot for my friend .I ask how far are they willing to go to defend it. In the last 25 years no one responed [sp] to that question.

13. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Did they have there Dusters and Shamwows out ?:D

14. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Boys ,it is a hobby ,it is supposed to be fun.......Tell the people with the chairs it is a car show ,,not a furniture show,,,get a life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. All that trouble just to park a car. Whatever happened to driving your ride ?

16. Clik

Clik

If you guys are gettin' that kinda turnout maybe someone should organize a run and get their asses out of the chairs and into the cars.

17. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Yep, right next to the Ensure and Depends...

18. mrchevrolet2

mrchevrolet2
    from usa

Hell, it wasn't even a show, just a cruise.

Topstrap-I noticed that there were a lot of empty spots with just chairs. Some people put 5-6 chairs in a spot like its a sewing circle or something. Just wondered if its like that at other cruises.

My buddy says that the same people park in the same spaces at the beach cruise every week. He said you can go to the first cruise of the season or the last and the same cars will be in the same spaces, WTF???

19. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

If this is the worst thing in your life and you feel it's that important to rant about then it's a simple solution....get a life outside of whining about sweet fa.
    Is this the winner of 'Whiney ill bitch' thread this week?
    Who really cares?

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is like the local shows that start at 9 and end at 5.......I never can stay at a show that long and usually blow out of there by 1 or 2, maybe even earlier. Being there longer is like going to work IMO.

BTW, I would have loved to go to the PID cruise, I grew up going there in the 60's. Many fond memories of Mineral Beach too.

Don

21. gold03

gold03

You wanna hang out with these guys...why?

22. voodoo1

voodoo1

We have a big cruise in July here in Vancouver. It has gotten so big people are setting up very early in the morning also. Problem now is, it's getting way too big for the little streets its on. Mike

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Isn't cruise another way of saying driving slow with no destination? This crap sounds like a sit in. Which is why I don't go to that shit anymore. I miss seeing other car guys, but too many assholes ruined it. Now, I just drive. Not worth complaining about. Get some buds and do it your way somewhere else.

24. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Around here, the car shows and cruise events find a place with lots of parking and no people to hold their car show, like a dead shopping mall. Then, the cruise gets established and lots of people come out to enjoy it and frequent the nearby businesses. Then the businesses complain that the cruise is occupying too much parking and run off the old cars out. Then, the cruise has to find a new location. The people follow, and the cycle continues.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  25. mrchevrolet2

mrchevrolet2
    from usa

I'm not whining, just wonder if this is normal. I don't hang out with these guys, was just visiting a buddy that I grew up with.

Don, I grew up in Clairton, visited PID a lot back in the day. Bad part was there were no cars that I saw that were run at PID back then.

26. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Hawaiin shirt + caci shorts... check
    lawn chairs.. check
    500 pounds of james dean and monroe memorabilia to pile on my car.. check
    Crying rag doll.. Check
    KC and the sunshine band tapes... check

27. Topstrap

Topstrap
    from East Ohio

We don't have the crowds like the bigger city areas and you usually never see anyone earlier than half an hour or so ahead of starting time. Most of us know each other and who ever you park beside we all watch each others rides. I've taken fellow rodders out for a spin in mine and when I come back the spot is usually still there but if not then we'll find another.

I figure the car won't be lonely if I'm elsewhere either admiring other cars, talking to a fellow Hotrodder or soaking up the shade with a cool drink under a tree. I have noticed that those groups with their chairs in a circle taking up a spare parking spot usually aren't the ones that are receptive to answering questions about their cars to outsiders.

We all go to shows/cruises for different reasons, people will be people, try to enjoy your hobby and don't let the smalls get in the way of having a good time. I've told others that driving there and the drive home are the best part, checking out new rides and chatting with old timers about the old days is icing on the cake.

Topstrap

28. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

The Nifty Fifty cruise here on the North side of Houston has 400 or more cars just about every Saturday. Cars are not allowed on the lot I think till 4:30 and have to be off by 10:00PM. They have guys help spot you but I don't think I have ever seen someone using some cones or chairs to hold a spot. It is a very well organized evening.
    Mike

29. von zipper

von zipper

There was a guy in a 55 Chevy with a trunkfull! All his trophys,plastic drivein food,pictures,and a life size cardboard talking Elvis! My and my buddy watched him unload and set up for like a half hour! I thought to myself "he worked harder than I did that day!" It was pretty silly!

30. around here if its a known big turnout show people get there early most around here just park their cars and leave them there then comeback later when the show starts nothing unusuall