Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hardscrabble Hop-Up; A 1940's Style 'T' RPU build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 21, 2013.

1. I've had a couple people ask about the early 20's Cadillac pressure pump - here are some detailed photos;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Didn't get much done this week...recouping from a bad ear infection. Messed around with some old Guide 903-J's and got them fit up, definitely more 1940's than the T lights - not sure which I like better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  3. Great build, thanks for sharing. Never knew that was a clum valve- I'll have to quiz the old man and see if he remembers that one. I'll have to subscribe so I don't miss any of it.

If you're taking a poll from people that don't matter- I prefer the T headlights :)

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

I will second that...I vote for the T lights :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

T lights look better to me, but a pair of 28-29 A headlights might look nice. Bob

6. Yeah, I do think the T lights are much better suited to it. I guess I'm at the over-analyzing stage.

Here's a really bad photoshop rendering of it done up prewar 'hot iron' style...I'm really liking this!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  7. jw johnston

jw johnston

I like both headlights. I think the T lights work with the T grill better and the era of build your shooting for. As stated before I think that you should move the inwards a bit. That might also be throwing the look of the guides off. Maybe you can move them closer together and post another picture of that?

8. titus

titus

Heres one im throwing together, gonna be a rpu also.

Attached Files:

9. Cool...will be keeping an eye on your progress!

10. jw johnston

jw johnston

Gwhite how are you goin about the pedal? I assume you are running an a trans? My car is In pieces at the moment but when I had it mocked up I had the body where I liked it in relation to the wheel wells and the engine to the fire wall. The clutch pedal is very close to the subrail to cowl brace. Spent some time with the torch and bent them around and got them to clear but it's still real close and I'm out of room to move them over anymore as the brake and clutch just clear each other and the brake just barely clears the trans.

11. I'm not quite to that point yet, but have been measuring and looking at what others have done; it's going to be a tight squeeze for sure! How far back is your body set? I have the bottom of the firewall just a hair behind the top rear motor mount hole.

12. jw johnston

jw johnston

I have my body sitting In the about same spot as yours. The cowl is right behind the centerline of the motor mount.

13. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

T lights for sure!!

14. Didn't get a whole lot done this weekend, but managed to dig out some goodies I had stashed away;

33-34 front axle
    [​IMG]

NOS 33-34 perch pins
    [​IMG]

Will end up going with a reverse eye 32-34 front spring (minus a few leaves) - hoping to get 3.75"-4" drop in the front. Rear spring will be a T with a few leaves removed.

15. OLLIN

OLLIN

I love this thread. You're really nailing all the little details!

16. Thanks! Always loved your T RPU!!

17. Speaking of little details, anyone know what this came off of? It's larger than a Model A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mndodge

mndodge

Gary....
    You should try walking on water.......because following this thread and watching it all come together makes me think you could without getting wet, COOL BUILD!!
    RPU's "T" or" A" and PRE WAR BANGERS......can it get any better??
    Also for the guys that added pictures of their projects, thumbs up.....very cool stuff!!

19. Hahaha, can you tell my wife that? Seriously though, I'm just a copycat hack trying to bring some cohesion and life to the obsolescent junk I've amassed over the years...let's wait & see how it turns out. :)

20. mndodge

mndodge

Just pass along to her that I said so......:D

The build is great, but its the little things you've added to the mototor and the dash and so on that make the whole thing cooler then an ice cube...:D

21. mrdodge

mrdodge

Subscribed. Like your thinking:D

22. This is pretty damn cool. I'm glad you finally started a build thread. A rpu is in the cards for me. when is the question. Well that & T or A.

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

oh yeah. here we go.

killer car coming together.

24. bonesy

bonesy

Outstanding!

I can't wait to see the updates. Subscribed.

25. Thanks fellas! I've got a pinched nerve in my shoulder, so it's been a slow & painful week...Going to figure out headlight placement/mounts this week and fab up some body mounts. Hoping to have a roller by Labor Day.

26. very cool Gary... great job! keep the photos coming!!

27. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very cool build.

Looking forward to more updates.

28. T__N__A

T__N__A

cool pickup...any updates?

29. Thanks guys, no real progress in the last couple weeks...been nursing a pinched nerve in my shoulder, so I've been pretty limited. Hoping to get back on it & post progress soon!

30. sweet stuff on the suspension. that the same trick i use on my cars
    remember to remove the second to longest leaf off the t rear, and to trim the second leaf on the front after you reverse the eye.
    oh and if you run an a wishbone you'll need a 1/4 inch spacer
    tk

-Brent- likes this.