Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust removal.......the miracle of molasses!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Feb 5, 2011.

1. jambottle

jambottle

Joe; i just called the local food store here and they have 2, 20 liter pails in store @ $32.00 per pail.take them 3-4 days to order more.Sounds a little pricey.$32.00 would make 40 gal of mixture at 9:1 .?We should be able to find the supplier with a little snooping. Chris

2. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Hey Chris. Thanks!
    That's better than I could dig up around here.
    I'm cruising through to Port Hawkesbury on Sunday and coming back the next Saturday.
    Where in Pictou county is that store?
    Joe

3. jambottle

jambottle

Pictou County Co-op,
    433 merigomish rd,
    New Glasgow,B2H-4S9,
    752-5799

4. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

5. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

4 to 1 is as strong as i'd go 9 to one is still strong enough at the moment i'm running a real weak mix. just takes longer. The best way to speed the process is to take the part out every day or two and scrub and pressure wash it

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  6. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

that price seems all right as I live just down the road from a sugar refinery and i get it from our local co op for 21dollars for 20 litres

7. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Ya $32 for a 20l pail is sure a lot better than the $75 I was quoted in my area.
    I usually do pull it after a few days and clean it up. Why make the stuff work harder than it needs to....
    As for price: electrolysis is super cheap but that line-of-site issue makes it not very effective on complex parts.

8. shooter6

shooter6

cool I will ad more pics of other parts I did . Im looking for a 110v high pressure pump, so I can set up a box large enough to do my complete essex sedan! can someone post a pic of their mix before use? I made mine somewhere around 5:1, it was black before I placed anything in it. Also what is the best mix ratio for powder? I can get that in 55 pound bags vrs 8.00 a gallon.

9. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

it's still the cheapest safest method of removing rust.I've heard of guys using it for up to 2 years .I think that in the end it starts to ferment honestly guys its cheap enough that just change it when I feel the need .don't worry about the colour. Once you've used it enough you''ll probably notice when it becomes less effective then it's time too change it out.Take a spoonful and eat it tastes great.great on breakfast cereal.Buy a jar from the supermarket and start small and go from there that's what I did.

10. druids62

druids62

Hey Mr. Speedy. I'm in the metropolis of Beachville...........you can stop laughing now. :) I do travel alot though.:)

11. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Yes, it is black to start but once it becomes used up I find that it turns a different black and the smell is even different once it has eaten the rust.

I have had a batch on the go for a couple of months now and it just stopped working.

mikeey rat I agree.. it is cheap and effective. I just didn't want to read after that someone said oh just do this simple thing and it's good to go again.

12. finn

finn

Just bought a 50(?) lb bag of powdered molasses in a paper bag for~$17.00 at Farm & Fleet.

Ripped the bag open dropping it into the trunk of my wife's Mustang...

What a mess. At least it wasn't raining.

13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Aw man.. break out the vacuum quickly!!

14. NORSON

NORSON

Mikeey rat is right. It cost me $100 to fill my 300 gal. tank. The first load of parts I cleaned would have cost at least twice that at a commercial stripper. I figure I can clean at least two more loads before I have to replace it. By the way skimming off the mould sure helps with the smell. Norm

15. N.T.Q

N.T.Q
    from Wisconsin

have a question about molasses, called my local feed mill and they have live stock grade with vegetable oil in for flow ability + some other nutrient's and vitamins would that work ? it is $ 15.60 per 100lbs or they have blackstrap in 40 LB pails for $ 23.10 but that is food grade thanks for the help

16. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Does anyone know what the "environmentally friendly" paint removal solution they are using in this link is?

I'm about to embark on my molasses adventure (tank built), but according to this thread the molasses doesn't touch the paint. I've also tested it on a small panel of mine and the paint is not coming off, only the bare metal is cleaning up. I need t strip my paint first and I'm looking for a way to do it in my tank.

17. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

NTQ, I used feed grade, but wasn't sure if I had the right stuff so I bought a small amount of it,mixed it in a five gallon bucket and tested it for 7days 5 to 1 mix. It worked so I filled my 200 gallon tank with the same mix. Make a test batch see if it work before you go full scale, mine was called sulferated sweet mix for horses by the feed store. It was cheep enough to experiment 5gallons was $14.

18. NORSON

NORSON

Molasses will not remove paint unless it's real "loose". I use paint remover either before or after. Not much paint on the stuff I'm working on.

Attached Files:

19. N.T.Q

N.T.Q
    from Wisconsin

ok T27 will do so thanks

20. camcb

camcb

I'm using a 55 gallon steel drum that had Acrylic Urethane in it. There's been no damage to the drum yet and I've seen no problems from the urethane which had solidified in the bottom. I bolt the lid down tight with the lid ring and have a small hole drilled in the lid to let it breath. 50 gallons of water to 1 gallon of molasses from Tractor Supply and it works.

21. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I found that Farm and Fleet sells dried molasses, is that the same? $15.49 for 50 pounds. And they have 1 gallon for 7.99 of liquid.

22. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Slighly offtopic, but why are you guys using Molasses? White Vinegar is cheaper, readily available, and isnt all gooey. Does the same thing.

23. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

From my research, vinegar is too strong and will eat the base metal if not watched diligently.

24. greg

greg

Question for the molasses folks.

I need to clean the rust from the inside of the spare tire cover from a 59 wagon. Its the panel inside the tailgate. It is double layered and the rust is inside. I smacked around on it with a rubber hammer, and knocked the loose out of it. I go back a month or so later and pick it up, and rust is again falling out of the holes.

My concern is not being able to flush the inside well after dipping in molasses. any ideas?

25. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Some guys I know like to use Chesterton rust guard after they clean it up. Turns the rust black and stabilizes it in areas that are hard to reach.

26. 31ster

31ster

[could you seal up the outside and pour the por 15 to it while turning it so it soaks in and covers everything really well?

B][/B]

27. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Yup. You are right in that it is cheaper and readily available.
    But..
    Vinegar has it's place but like has been said.. it's an acid that eats the rust AND the good metal. It doesn't care. Plus it must be neutralized or it will continue to work in areas like cracks.

Molasses is a "chelator" that only bonds to and removes the iron oxide (rust) and leaves the good steel alone.
    If ya like to read about that stuff (too deep for me).. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelation

Joe

28. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

M only question is why? For steel parts electrolysis does a better job much faster, and just as green.

29. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I still use electrolysis a lot but it does not get inside seems. I love the process for panels with no folds (unlike cowls and inside doors). Line of sight is it's main down side.

We have rust. Serious rust. High humidity with salt air. Bad combo.
    Cleaning the outer parts without getting in the seems is major waste here. One year and the rust would be showing on the edges.

Electrolysis, molasses, vinegar, Evapo-Rust, phosphoric acid, media blasting... all have their strong and weak points. No one method is right for every situation.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  30. turdytoo

turdytoo

Can you make liquid from dry and get the same results?