Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calling all 55-56 Pontiac owners, and anyone else helpful!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56PontiacPiano, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Not labeled, but this is a build thread my friends.
    So, I'm a 16 year old I took a long shot and got my 1956 Pontiac Chieftain (first car). Pretty rare one if I'm not mistaken. Only 1500 for it, new shocks, new alternator, new brake lines, all the junk in the starting components are new such as the condensor and such. Spark plugs are also new.
    I did the paint myself, inside and out. Currently trying to get her started again. She ran perfect and started right up 4 weeks ago, ignoring a loose belt that screeched when you pressed the gas. My current project is checking for spark and all that. I need to get a new battery since I found out earlier that mine was leaking like CRAZY. Yes, my distributor cap is on right, clean, and dry. I have a few tests to execute that I was told to do before here. Once that gets done, I'm getting the exhaust system welded on, a little floor work in the rear done, and then I'm finishing my carpet, seats, and bam I should be good to go. For anyone following my last thread, I'll post progress here once I get a battery...
    In the meantime, I'm painting my dashboard and polishing all the stainless. Also painting my steering wheel. From a boring black all around to a red and black checkered pattern with white inserts on each side. :D
    BTW, I'm doing this all at the end of my mother's driveway. No garage or anything. So sometimes it takes me a bit of time and is difficult to do certain procedures, but I try my hardest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I would say you're on the right track, stick with it, and the results will be worth it. We all started about the same way with our first car, working outside, and doing what we could, when we could. I'm not big on Pontiacs, but they are Chevrolets big brother, especially the tri-five years. Whatever you do, DO NOT let the car get in the way of a good education; that will get you further than you can imagine at this point in your life. Good luck, Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. Should definitely have the car all ready before school starts so it should all be good. One more year of high school to show. Thanks for the positivity Butch

4. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Who likes '56 Pontiacs anyway?

5. Jagman

Jagman

Ha, that's what I drove to high school when I was 16!

6. Says the man driving the Atomic Banana...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I have a 55 I am having an interior done in now,Copper Orange paint, It came with a smallblock Chevy in it but I have a 58 370 with 3x2s I may throw in it if I keep it.

8. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Good luck getting it up and running, I did have an issue once with my ballast resistor the connection got so bad the resistance got too high and wouldn't let voltage get to the coil. Just turn the key on not cranking and check for voltage at the coil to check for this.

9. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

Keep us updated, and have fun with the car. It is exciting to work on an old car for the first time. Some people forget that...

10. budd

budd

post some pic of your engine, the more pics the better for anyone trying to help.

11. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

good luck, sweet car. I work in tarrytown and working on my first rebuild as well, 55 starcheif. there is a yard by me with a 56 cheiftan rotting away, let me know if you need misilanious parts. my buddy works at the yard so its no big deal to see if its got what you need.

12. Thanks everyone. I'll go snap some good pics now of the motor. Recently finished painting my dash, letting that dry. I was ALMOST done painting my steering wheel custom, but my stupid a** put painters tape over a patch of paint that was sort of dry but wasn't cured...just because paint is dry doesn't mean it's actually "dry" -_-
    Oh well, we learn from mistakes lol

13. K engine.

Attached Files:

14. Anyone know whether or not the steering wheel center is supposed to light up when you put the lights on? I don't know why but I feel like it should...and if it is supposed to, mine doesnt.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bitchin' car.

Uh, I guess that mean rad, or sick or something in your parlance. :)

16. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Bad ass fist car. I'm 15 and have a 49 chevy styleline for my first car.

17. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Doubt that the steering wheel would light up? Would be kind of distracting wouldn't it? I remember some Pontiac having lighted hood ornaments. the Indian head looks pretty slick when lighted from within if yours has the plastic one it's an easy thing to do.

As far as your no start goes, make sure your wires are correct to the firing order and that the rotor is pointed to the cap tower for number 1 cylinder. If you are one off the car will not start.

18. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

No its not.

55 was the last year for the light up indian head. The front part of the hood ornament on a 56 lights up however. That is if its a star chief.. but i think his is a chieftain.

19. No my hood ornament doesn't light. I could buy a new light up one for around 80 bucks and wire it in but, na.

20. olds vroom

olds vroom

I subscribed to your other tread. I think its great you love your old carDid you get it started yet?

21. I won't be getting a battery until the end of this week probably so I can't work on getting it started again. I did however paint the dashboard and steering wheel today! Much much better compared to how it was before...

Attached Files:

22. Sweet 56, I had a 56 2dr sedan for my first car in high school. Had a 396 tunnel ram,4 speed and a 12 bolt rear end, loved it cause it was different at that time. long gone now, wish I never sold it, but many years later found another 56 pontiac and bought it, know I will never sell it.
    GOOD LUCK, great car.

23. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

The interior looks good so far. I've been wondering how you made out with the "no-start" problem, but forgot about the leaky battery. (Some things even duct tape won't fix.) While you have some time, make up a list of things that need to be done to get the car running and safe to drive, then break these into sub-catagories. Example: "fix brakes", then under it "*bleed lines. *check for leaks. *check shoes and drums. *check wheel cylinders for leaks...." etc. That way, you have a clear list of what needs to be done. Check off each item once completed. The second list is things you want to do. Example: you want new seat covers. You need to look into: cost, who will do it, how much time will it take, and so on. Making the two lists and comparing them will not only map out what you need and want to accomplish, but also give you a frame of reference as to budgeting your money. The needs will always take priority over the wants. (Life lesson there. Master that one now, and you should not run into the problem of being short on the rent/mortgage because you decided to go out to dinner and a movie.)

I used to work at a nuclear power plant. One of the things that they had posted around the plant was the phrase, "Plan the work, work the plan." Something to mull over.

24. 5559

from tn

Glad to hear there are some old timers (not by age but by attitude )still coming into the hobby.Your driveway work may be hard but you will really learn things that will stay with you forever. When you get a garage it will seem like a castle.Then you can have your memories & always say remember when.................

25. There is nothing much I need to do except get it started. Everything else, such as exhaust system and floor work will be done by the mechanic. I will ask him to also check the rebuilt master cylinder and make sure all is k. I have my rug, half of it installed. I will install the other half when floor work is done. Already have seat covers as well. Two big nice mexican throw blankets that match the car nicely. Once I get her started and the mechanic does his work, it's smooth sailing from there.
    I really love how the interior came out. I was able to be creative since it's mine. Whenever I'm done with my creations, I always smile so hard. Which is funny, because I almost never smile.

26. So, I'm recently learning how better it is to sand and polish something instead of spray painting metallic paints. I recently spray painted my bumper because they had some bad rust, although most of it was surface I think and there were still some shiny parts. Now I'm thinking of stripping all that paint off, or at least a section where the rust was bad, and trying this polisher I heard of on another thread. Apparently will take the rust off and take off a small film of the old chrome to get down to a shiny part...who else thinks I should try? The polish is only about 20 bucks a canister

27. Still no battery yet, hoping mom will bring me out by the end of this week. Trying to find a good place near by that isn't too expensive but doesn't have cheap batteries that will leak like the one I got.
    Today my plan is to paint the new knobs I recently purchased to match my knobs(an off white color) and sand and clean the original ones that are still in good condition in the car. Tonight I think I'm gonna order all of my electrical parts for restoring the original radio and power supply. Sunny day out today so the paint can bake really good. Also gonna take the vents off the kick panels and clean out all the crud back there, and try to get the knobs and vents to actually open to allow air in the car like it is supposed to.
    The sunset last night was really beautiful so I thought I'd get a snapshot of the car from the rear. Too bad I don't have a better camera on my cell phone.

Attached Files:

28. 1941coupe

1941coupe

rare car keep up the good work.

29. Testing fender skirts, I like the red so I painted both of them and they are drying inside since it's going to rain tomorrow. Somehow I got the fender skirt to sit in there without mounting brackets (still have to have them fabricated after getting the engine running). Battery by the end of this week.

Attached Files:

30. Chuck R

Chuck R

My folks had a 56- 2 door no post coupe from 56 to 70.I learned to drive in that car. It was cool, brakes weren't so good as I recall. But then that was a long time ago.:) Keep us posted.
    chuck