Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road to Rumble! D/FW to RRR on Rt. 66 Road Trip!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toptinman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Toptinman

Toptinman

2. Toptinman

Toptinman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This '49-'50 Chevy S.D. looked to have potential. (I know, they ALL do!)

[​IMG]

This little pickup looked to be someone's pride and joy as evidenced by the chrome goodies left on the engine.

[​IMG]

The visor on this pickup ought to be worth something.

[​IMG]

There's a '57 Chevy wagon hiding in that grass.

[​IMG]

The remains of a Caddy camper.

[​IMG]

Someone save this Merc, PLEASE!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  3. Toptinman

Toptinman

With darkness as my companion for the next two hours, I pulled back into the garage around ten-thirty that evening, having squeezed as much as anyone could possibly squeeze into the last two days of the trip.

[​IMG]

My hopes of making this year's Road Rocket Rumble got left in room 411 in Springfield, MO. this time but my plans on attending next year's event remained posted on my windshield while driving back home.

[​IMG]

When I pulled off the Rumble pre-reg sticker, I closed the final chapter on Day 14 of this trip.
    But here's to seeing you in Salina!

4. What a great saga. I can't wait for the next. Thank you very much. Well done !!

5. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

"it's not the destination it's the journey"...awesome coverage of an "Odyssey".

6. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

Awesome! I looked forward each day to reading your updates. Glad you made it home and thank you for the great pictures.

7. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

If your thread was a TV series I would be recording every one so I don't miss an episode! It truly is a pleasure going on these trips with you and getting free history lessons too! I can't wait for the next one, so where are we going next?:D:D:D

8. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Im so happy I came home and reopen this thread I just love Springfield its a killer town. Sorry to hear about you engine but sounds like you had a cool little trip!!!!

Thank you...

9. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Thanks for sharing Tinman. Awesome photography skills! I feel like I was there!

10. ryno

ryno

Glad to see you finally made it back home

11. gusonthebus

gusonthebus

Great story and journey. Hate the hard luck that came with it.

12. Glad you took the time to make that last side trip to this salvage yard. I'd like to think that someone might make something out of this Oldsmobile. ('48? '49? :confused:) Can't be too many of them around with both a two-piece windshield AND a two-piece backlight! :eek:

13. clockman1946

clockman1946

I'm new to H.A.M.B. and this thread caught my attention. I was six years old in 1952 when my family pulled up stakes in NY and headed to Tucson AZ by way of route 66. OK, so I was only six but I have a vivid photographic memory and remember the people and places along the route quite well. I especially remember the Shamrock Motel. Dad pulled in there in 1952 with our 1946 Plymouth with a large trunk of everything we owned tied on the roof. The manager told dad to make sure he does not drive out of the exit in the morning but rather leave through the entrance on the right side of the main building because the awning on the left side extended all the way across the driveway and was too low for our car and trunk. Well, you guessed it. Morning came and out we went the wrong way. I remember that large trunk sliding down the back of that old Plymouth and crashing to the ground behind us and the manager running out and screaming at my father along with my mom screaming at him also because of all the broken dishes in the trunk. We could hear them break as the trunk hit the ground. How could I not remember that morning? There was damage to the awning which I'm sure dad paid for and we were on our way once again. The photo of the Shamrock is of me on my brothers shoulders in front of the main building in the summer of 1952. It's amazing to me how little the building has changed. The stone facade, the windows and you can even see the high tension wires high above the right side of the building. Can't help but notice that that infamous awning is only a stub of what it was back then thanks to dad and his Plymouth. Well, that's my two cents worth. Love this thread.

Attached Files:

Mad Mark likes this.
  14. NoSurf

NoSurf

Cool!!! Thanks for sharing.

15. hosedagain

hosedagain
    from Canada

Great thread, very entertaining, thanks for sharing,
    I thought my trip to L.A. in 1966 was eventful, My late brother, our cousin and I drove from Toronto Ontario Canada to L.A. via route 66 or what parts were drivable in those days.
    My cousin was going to attend school in San Fran so off we went 3 in the front seat in a 1954 4 door Buick. Didn't get far the first day, blew a rad hose about a 100 miles from home, lucky there was a gas station not too far, hitch hicked to it got a hose, replaced the old one added water, and off we went. still on the first day got a flat near Indianapolis, no spare, slept in the car, when morning rolled around took the flat off the car, hitch a ride to a service station, tire fixed, hitched back put the tire on and off we went. The second day car started over heating, stopped numerous times to cool it down, ran heater on full hot to relieve some of the heat. Had to pull over, rad was low, we were in the Ozars my this time, cousin walked to a farm to get some water, he said they were hill billies and very generous. Added the water and off we went Finally stopped at a service station and added some rad flush, drove a short time, stopped at another station flushed the rad, added anti freeze and water and off we went. Some time on the 3rd day we lost reverse so any where we parked we had to make sure we could drive forward and not backwards. By this time We wrote in soap on the rear windshield "California or Bust" Got a lot of honks. Got to the desert so we decided to drive it through the night, cooler. Part way through the car died, cousin says to me get out and see whats wrong, no flash light pitch dark, in the middle of no where, could hear ruslling in the tumble weeds-vegetation, strange animals? So I said are you kidding me, try starting it, sure enough it started and off we went. Must have been a vapour lock? Made it to L.A. in the middle of morning rush hour, what a sight that was. Got to my cousins parents place, that afternoon drove the Buick to a bone yard never to see it again. Sunday we drove to a dealship and my cousin bought a 1966 Tempest, I believe. Uncle wrote a check, and off we drove all on a Sunday which is something we don't see and still don't buying a car on a Sunday and driving it home where I live. 4 Days later we drove to San Fran, no events, kinda boring. If I had a time machine I would go back and do it all over again. No digital cameras in those days so taking pictures was limited.

16. chromeazone

chromeazone

Also check out Getting Your Kicks on Rt.66 thread. Lots of cool comments and I dumped my 1962 story in my hopped up 51 Shoebox.
    Rt 66 still rocks!

17. clockman1946

clockman1946

Thanks hosedagain. Ah yes, the days of bias-ply tires and running the heater full blast in the summer to relieve some engine heat. I did the entire route 66 again in 1962 in a '52 DeSoto. I could write a major thread on that trip. Some day before I wind up in the "bone yard" I hope to drive some or all of 66 in my Model A.

18. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

clockman1946 - I posted the picture of your 1952 Shamrock Motel on a local Springfield Mo. Facebook page. I think a lot of people enjoyed seeing it.
    Toptinman - being from Springfield I have numerous pics & info of many of the old buildings you took pictures of. You want me to throw my two cents in on any of them??

19. thanks for the posts....happy trails to..... and back home !