Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A's w/302 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harvey29, Jan 5, 2012.

1. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

4 inch bitchin, ford racing short pump

2. 29 road

29 road

Thank you for the quick reply.

3. andy checchia

andy checchia
    from USA

I reversed the firewall in my 30 Model A. I have a Vega box in it and the engine is from a 57 Pontiac with a 55 Hydro Trans. I think a Ford 302 is a lot smaller than my Pontiac.

4. JoRodder

JoRodder
    from Belgium

I'm just starting my '30 Tudor build with a 302HO from a Ford Thunderbird 1992

5. lonestar395

lonestar395
    from Australia

`29 A, 5.0 HO/AOD trans, 4" recessed firewall, short oil filter, short water pump..It just works.

Attached Files:

6. lonestar395

lonestar395
    from Australia

Probably should show it finished...

MODEL A 678.jpg

7. austinhunt

austinhunt

90 degree oil filter adapter is great.

Go with a t5 or better yet a top loader!

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

28 model a roadster pickup , firewall recessed 4 inches , sno white waterpump , short ford oil filter and still tight , no room for mech fan due to engine sitting low in chassis , had to run fan in front of radiator due to clearance , hopefully it cools ok , and if you look close you can see where i had to make a clearance notch on the pass side rear header tube for cowl pichweld clearance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. austinhunt

austinhunt

Old water pump from 64-69 on passenger cars, 64-77 on trucks 35 dollars napa. Passenger side inlet, will not work with the reverse rotation timing cover or timing mark pointer. If you go mechanical fuel pump be sure to get the right timing cover for that too. Alternator brackets are different...... Play the ford mix and match game!

10. In my 31 Tudor, I ran the Snow White setup, 3" recess and short oil filter, But that one had 67 Mustang steering
    IN my 29 RPU, I ran the Ford Racing short water pump (MUCH better than the Snow White set up), 3" recess, 90° oil filter mount and Vega steering - exact same set up in my 32 coupe.

11. mfp-66

mfp-66

3" recessed firewall, ford racing short pump with modified pulleys
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  12. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]
    94-95 mustang front cover and pump, I think I have a half inch forward on the front cross-member - note-= right hand side aftermarket headers touch 'slightly' the older fat starters -
    the header/collector are further away from the block than the other side, for left hand drive steering , so you have to grind the welds and the flange and angle it in, then angle out the collector, well at least I hope so, they'll be the same side to side then.....
    don't have to worry about filter rhd.
    [​IMG]
    hope the rad clears, will have to run a push slim electric fan in a 32 shell?
    [​IMG]
    this side sits in further
    [​IMG]
    so cal right hand drive steering arms
    [​IMG]
    superbell right hand drive steering arms
    [​IMG]
    is this a rhd holden HQ steering box?
    is it clock in anticlock out?
    [​IMG]
    can I use my stainless pitam on it, when I turn the vega mount around will it fit?
    is the drop the same as the holden? is the ratio the same as the vega, and or is it better ?
    p.s. any of you antipodeans care to send me one?
    p.s.
    aod's
    [​IMG]
    do they want to be about there? - or is that too low?
    ppps I was looking for ages and ages and ages wondering where the tv cable went in, till I discovered it was through the shifter, I kept thinking it was an aode.
    tip a corvette c4 alumium prop is 27.5 inches on the u/j's, - if you have a long tailed aod, and are reced 3'' should work, they run 1310 joints - same as the stock ford slip yoke
    [​IMG]
    will be too short for me now....

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  13. Very nice truck!!!!

14. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

My body is in the stock location,so is the grill shell . I just pushed the engine back until the blower pully cleared,it has a vega box and works great.

15. madmike3434

madmike3434

I am having a problem with my chopped and channeled 31 ford truck with 1990 302 and c4 auto.

The first problem was i could not find a pair of headers that fit. Bought some PATRIOT tight tuck headers, drivers side is perfect fit.

The passenger side clears the motor mount , but is hitting the high torgue mini starter that is same length almost as a stock one. The header is 1/2-3/4" from lining up with the header flange on the head bolt hole.

Looking at a picture of an auzzie build silver model a pickup ***in this thread*** it has a starter that looks a lot shorter than the stock length. The header pipe is right against the starter stopping it from going the 1/2-3/4" more i need.

Can somebody tell me exactly what brand of short starter fits so the header clears.

thank you

mike lynch---------------canada

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

One header that works very well in SBF swaps is the HEDMAN 88400.Becuse it is a shorty it does exit before the starter the application is used for 1964-68 Mustang Falcon and Fairlanes.Many of the members of the HAMB 1952-59 Ford group have used these because they clear the steering box and A-frames which is tight in the 54-56 cars when doing a SBF swap.

17. Fits real nice in my 29

Attached Files:

18. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

29 CCPU 302 w/ C-4 -- I.F.S. w/ Rack & Pinion

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  19. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

3" stretch, body moved back1 1/2" and custom fire wall

Attached Files:

20. Here's mine 30 yrs ago. Garden wheelbarrow firewall, drag link 66 mustang steering box, pics yesterday and today.

Attached Files:

21. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Thanks everyone for the help I got the motor in and running trying to get it on the road.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

im trying to mount my 302 in Model A this week. my biggest question is how high or low do you mount the engine. right now its mocked up with the bottom of mount even with top of frame. degreed back for carb to sit level. i want a flexfan so im trying to go high as posssible as it can so the fan is'nt cooling off the crossmember more than the radiator. ha. but im concerened about driveline angle

23. IMG_0015-002.JPG My son istalling a Thumper cam, Edelbrock dual plane manifold and 600 cfm Holley dbl. pumper in our '29 with '86 302 and c4 trans. We used a '51 f100 steering box and it works well albeit leaking some. With a '94 Lincoln positraction and the c4 we can cruise 65-70 and get 16+ mpg between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm. We've installed lake style headers as our avatar shows. Gets lotsa comments being a smf instead of a smc.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  24. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

I mounted mine with the mounts level but I was using chassis engineering mounts if that matters. Maybe right maybe wrong but that's how mine are:thumbup:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

its not mounted, but its between the rails!... im using the speedway sbf motor mounts. i got them in the scratch n dent section.

Attached Files:

26. rickl

rickl

I've read to convert a 5.0 sperp belt to v belt to use a front cover, water pump, pulley from a 91-94 5.0 t-bird, 94-95 Mustang or any 5.0 Explorer. I need to convert my 93 5.0 to a carb/v-belt so I'm very curious what others have used.

27. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Anyone use the new sbf 3x2 edelbrock intake for strombergs it would look nice on a 302 in an A

28. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i'm thinking of that for my 40 coupe. heres some pictures from LARS 2013. nice looking unit to me.

Attached Files:

29. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

That's Awesome! I need to save up for that setup... will look so much better than my same old "cookie cutter" single 4brl carb.
    [​IMG]

30. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I like that set up too, minus the clunky fuel log. I've seen other sbf/3x2's that are really tilted so that the engine ends up at a ugly angel. this one looks good.