Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cruisinthe34, Jul 23, 2013.

1. I've often wondered what the REAL purpose of this knob by to throttle was/is. I call it an inconvenience. Anyone know what the real idea for it is. ??
    [​IMG]

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Foot rest. So you could push down on the throttle pedal (aka "foot feed") and steady your foot to maintain smooth operation. Cars and roads of the day were much rougher than now.

Ray

3. Thats waaaay too simple :). I live in a very hilly area and it drives me nuts sometimes disallowing my fat foot easy access :)

4. Anderson

Anderson

Pretty sure if you don't like it, you can take it off...

5. Heaven Forbid !!!! :) and lose that originality !!!????? :)

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Try loosening the locknut and moving it down some...you may find you like it. It needs to be a height that is comfortable for your right foot so you just sort of roll the foot a bit to work actual pedal. Without it, you have to brace your foot with the heel only and your toes have to hold steady without support to maintain a throttle position...
    with the aftermarket spoon, also, it may well be in the wrong place for comfort and moving it may help you discover how comfortable it makes your foot...

7. I will try that. Thanks for the input.

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I take it that your vehicle does not have the stock engine. Back in the dark ages, starters did not have solenoids or self energizing bendixes. You acually pushed the foot pedal that moved the starter gear into position onto the ring gear and then made the electrical connection to spin the starter. That probably connected to the mechanical pieces that were mounted to the starter. Quaint wasn't it????

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That is a gas pedal footrest. His car originally had a solenoid actuated starter with a pushbutton on the dash.

10. alchemy

alchemy

Mopar people. Sheesh.

As for the real use of that foot rest, I don't know how I could drive our '32 for more than an hour without one. It is a huge help when you are barrelling down the interstate.

11. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

I have mine adjusted a level with the gas peddle. In traffic and parking lots I just roll my foot from side to side (with the foot rest on the right) and get nice controlled throttle action.

12. Sounds like I got some 'justin' to do. I think it is too high, half the time I think I'm on the throttle I mash it and I get about 10 mph then have to move my foot left to get on the throttle.

13. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I couldn't drive my model A roadster without it. I find the throttle return spring to light and rock my foot from the rest to the gas pedal. My '30 chev sedan and '22 buick touring both have them too.

14. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I like that kind of stuff and wish they were still on cars. That way the driver can decide if they like it, not just what "most people like" It's like having a dead pedal on the left. You don't know what you're missing if you never had a car with one. Very comfortable on long drives.

15. the-rodster

the-rodster

If you run a spoon pedal, it's the cat's ass.

Rich

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Basic comfort features...spoon and footrest, cowl vent, vent wings, the Okie cruise control, and, of course, the Ford toolkit tire iron with that perfect back-scratcher tip on it...Depression luxury!

17. silversink

silversink

crank out windshield

18. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I have not got one installed on my coupe yet and my foot is always sliding off the throttle spoon. Makes sense to me to use one.

19. I think I'm growing to like the thing now. I believe I'll add cruise control for the long hauls on the interstate, but around town I'm likin' it now.

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Put the throttle knob back in the dash...you already had "Okie Cruise Control!!"

Directions for long trips useta start with something like "Turn west on US 11, pull out the knob, and bend it down!"

You gotta stop reading those ads in Streetrodder...Ford put in everything you need!

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I like that idea, even if it doesn't apply in this case.

Dane, where can I see a larger photo of your avatar?

Rich, yours I can pretty much understand. :)

22. Delray

Delray

[​IMG]

I think if the toe rest was positioned parallel to the center of the spoon or slightly lower as it is on this '35 it would be a lot less awkward to use. Maybe the aftermarket spoon is longer than the original. Sorry about the poor pic.

23. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

My 37 Ford P.U. has one and plan on keeping it .