Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust removal.......the miracle of molasses!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Feb 5, 2011.

1. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Sigh.. were it only that simple...
    None of the cattle feed stores in a 200 mile area I checked use it here. :(
    Not even the CO-OP had it.
    They all get it premixed.
    And this ain't the city. Trust me. Most of the farmers look at me like I'm asking for a 3 1/2 legged chicken.

wow.. 9.95 a 3 gal pail. I'm green with envy... or mold. It's been a muggy summer.

2. NORSON

NORSON

gizmojoe
    Try Googling "feed molasses" I found several listings in Canada, but I don't know your neck of the woods. I think the stuff I get is made out of squash??? I'm thinking there must be a distributor somewhere in your area. Norm

Attached Files:

3. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I have asked for feed molasses with no luck.
    Hmmm. Didn't know about it being made from squash too. I knew about beet juice too but that's harder to get.
    I'll keep asking.
    Thanks. :)
    Joe

4. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

5. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Thanks a lot.
    That may be a route to take. They may even know of a link to a source here.
    I'm heading across this prov next week. I'll be asking anyone and everyone.
    I have a 28 AA cab and fenders and a 30 cab to clean up.
    I love using molasses. It's slow like me. ;)
    I've used electrolysis too. It's great but the line of site thing makes it less useful than a good dippin'.
    Even phosphoric acid is crazy hard to get here. Not "green" enough.
    Thanks again folks.
    Joe

6. Im a newbe to this, although ive been reading about it, for a few years now. Decided to try it, after some stuff came back from the sandblaster poorly done. Went and brought some yesterday, and i gots a big plastic bucket full of old car junk. Found thread, re damage from using it, and it appears it can damage pot metal and alloys. Im just playing for now, so i get a feel for it. Will step up tank size later, if i like using the stuff.

7. Don't do that just yet. Do some research first. It seems like I remember hearing that some folks had a problem with it eating into cast iron.

8. Do they have TSC stores out your way? That's where I get mine.

Posted via telegraph.

9. Yeah. I've heard of guys wrecking the cylinder walls in their blocks by submerging in molasses...

Posted via telegraph.

10. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Sadly, no.

11. druids62

druids62

Mr. Canuck, you actually found molasses in a TSC store?? I had no luck at my local TSC stores. As a matter of fact, as I told Joe awhile ago, I've had zero luck with the local equine people. I've also called every feed supply and tack shop in a hundred mile radius with no luck at all. Ugh!

12. NORSON

NORSON

If you ask for phosphoric ACID you're probably going to get a bunch of no's. These two pictures show product I buy from Home Depot and Harbor Freight. Something similar should be available in most paint stores. Body shops use "etch" to prep cars for paint. I've heard enough about the effect on cast iron I'd be very careful on machined surfaces on blocks. As I said earlier, data tags pot metal handles, etc. will be damaged. Norm

Attached Files:

13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I love Evapo-Rust but it's not cheap.

The hardware stores up to 7 hours away that I have been to don't deal with anything that lists phosphoric acid any more. They now all use citric acid or some of the mean and nasty things that don't work well for what we want.
    I've even given Home Depot product numbers but they say they don't deal in it.

Dupont was the last autobody supplier in this area that had phosphoric acid (5717S is their product..) but now no one handles Dupont around here.
    Next week I hope to check out some jobbers to see if anyone has some 5717S left.

Getting back on topic (sorry for the side-tracking) I see there is a manufacturing plant for feed including molasses about 5 hours from here. I'll stop by there next week on my way through the area.

14. druids62

druids62

I'm interested Joe if you have any luck! Thx.

15. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Sure thing, Scott.
    Advance Biofeed Canada is who I found this evening.
    They are in the Truro area of NS but they are also in a few countries.
    Their website looks translated by someone who was in a darkly lit closet and doesn't understand English, so I'm not holding my breath.. ;)

If I can score some powdered stuff (oh that sounds like a drug deal) I would sure like to know the mix ratio from folks who have used it.

16. druids62

druids62

Careful using the "powder" word. Lol. The Queen's Cowboys will be knockin' at your door!

17. evintho

evintho

Wow, looks like this thread got it's second wind! Cool!
    I don't keep a build thread on here 'cause with a turbo and computer controlled EFI, it doesn't really fall into the traditional category. I do however, keep a thread over on cardomain and try to update it as much as I can...................

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3885845/1927-ford-model-t/

18. shooter6

shooter6

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  19. oddcraig

oddcraig

We use Mollasses on enging parts for the Plane engine I am rebuilding from the 30's... Works a treat!

20. shooter6

shooter6

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

1 x part molassis, 20 x parts water. Degrease beforehand and air blow after rinsing off with water. Been doing it this way for years. Alloy does dissolve.

22. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

mgstumpy: 1 - 20 for powder? I'm used to 1 - 9 for liquid.

Shooter6: links work fine. Cool.

I've seen the effect on magnesium. It isn't pretty.
    I wouldn't dip any alloy.

I have dipped cast but you need to be aware of the type of cast contents. Some have a lot of junk in them that will melt away.

Here is a link to some of mine: http://s270.photobucket.com/user/GizmoJoePhotos/library/Molasses De-Rusting

As for the Queen's Cowboys... my boss is an auxiliary Mountie. It makes for interesting conversations.

23. Magneto349

Magneto349

This is great! This will work perfect for my 27 T!

24. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

sorry for my tardiness in replying to your questions .4 to 1 is about the weakest mixture I have used .when it goes black just spread it around the garden as it's basically just a strong version of sugar soap totally .WARNING IT KILLS POT METAL AND ALUMINIUM molasses is cheap where I am because we are a sugar cane growing area and there is a sugar refinery about 15 miles from me .I found out about it originally from a cane farmer who used to soak rusty farm implements in it.some of my buddies use a soft flame to stop the flash rust or spray with diesel or machine oil wd 40 ,or dry with compressed air and etch straight away

25. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

I wouldn't leave cast iron in to long either if it's stuck block then only long enough to free it .check everyday or so ..Was doing a bicycle chain and it sunk to the bottom ,emptied the dip a few months later and only found a bunch of little figure 8 shaped bits of metal it had eaten the rest

26. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

molasses then refined into brown sugar then raw sugar then white then caster sugar

27. Whereabouts in Ontario are you located?

This weekend I'll look up the areas around me that I have successfully found molasses at, and let you know.

28. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

29. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

30. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, druids62, y'all have a Queen ? The lower 48+2 have a FRUMP. Hope that isn't politically incorrect.