Register now to get rid of these ads!

348 / 409 water pump rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldSchoolSS, Jul 29, 2013.

1. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

Hey Guys,

Does anybody have any tips for rebuilding one of these? I was going to order the Chinese aluminum one but i read that the stockers actually cool better with the cast impeller than the new aftermarket pumps.

No parts store seems to stock rebuild kits. I read that all the parts are the same as an early short SBC pump.

Has anybody bought a new or rebuilt SBC pump from the parts store, took the new components out and put them in a W motor pump? I have a press and a machine shop available at work with tons of blocks and big sockets and stuff if i need to support the sumps to get them apart.

I did do a few searches and i think this will work. I just want to see if it's possible to get the new pump apart without jagging up the bearing or seal.

Thanks,

Scott

2. mechanic58

mechanic58

Rock auto sells rebuilt (OEM) pumps for $94. A1 Cardone #58127. $22 core charge.

3. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

Do you know if they have the cast or stamped impeller?

4. mechanic58

mechanic58

That I don't know. Since its rebuilt I would imagine they use as much of the original parts the cores come with as possible. Best case scenario would be just a bearing and seal replacement.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had 50+ 348/409 pumps rebuilt and they all ended up with stamped impellers

6. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

I emailed A1. We'll see if they email back. I'm guessing stamped steel.

7. Ice man

Ice man

Yrs ago I sent my 40 Buick pump to Hamden Automotive. They rebuilt it and sent it back to me. Iceman

8. you can do a R&R with A1.Send them in your pump and they will send it back rebuilt. Done it before, worked out ok. Your parts store has thepaper work to do this.

9. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

Thanks for the info guys. I have no problem rebuilding it myself. I work with pumps all day. I was just wondering if anybody could give a bit of advice before i dive into it.

10. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

Just heard back from A1. They used the SBC stamped impeller in their water pump rebuilds. I'll pull the pump out of the car tomorrow to see what I have.

11. PM Maxgearhead here on the H.A.M.B. He's a 348/409 Guru. He's here in Wisc. too.

12. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

Well i started the rebuild last night. I went out at lunch today to finish it up. I tried pressing the new seal into the pump. I know some of the tractor kits that JD sells comes with a special tool to put the seal on. The kit from showcars does not, they said it's not needed. I was pressing the seal on the shaft and the inner race(that sits on the shaft) of the seal separated from the outer race(that sits in the water pump casting). The seal faces didn't seem to be hurt and it pushed right back together. I'm going to take a pipe coupling, cut it down and use it in the middle of a socket to support the inner race. I ordered two kits so I'll use that trick on the new seal that hasn't been buggered up yet. Has anybody ran into this issue?

Kan Kustom likes this.
  13. so how did it work out?