Register now to get rid of these ads!

Weatherstripping problems....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ParkinsonSpeed, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I have been trying to figure out the best way to get rid of the wind noise on my 63' Falcon and remember taking a video this last winter of snow literally blowing into my 63' F250 truck cab.... Any tricks to help fix a wide gap or where to buy custom or non stock rubber at??? I have looked around but i know there has to be some places you body guys frequent for problems like this. I don't mind a little ugly if it makes it less annoying and doesn't let my heat out this winter.

Here is the Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYGHn5ogCOc&feature=share&list=UUp7LKSCDavzttwfWpd7Et5A

2. Ob1

Ob1

There is a product meant to fill cracks before applying caulk. It is a pliable foam circular rod, should be available at the hardware store. Pretty sure it comes in different diameters.

You can cut a slot in the rubber bulb seal and insert the foam rod inside in the area and "fluff up" a flat weather strip. Use as small a piece as possible at the point of the leak, and taper the length and ends as required for a good fit.

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

LMC also supplies rubber parts.

Many have used 3m products weather stripping.....Speedway motors also sells weather stripping.... DO a google search/

I use the aluminum type insulation sold in rolls at lowes and spray adhesive. If applied to the roof it reduces heat from the sun, and on the floor/firewall it reduces heat and road noise.

any holes around cab floor in corners can be sealed with spray foam....

4. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Yea i mean i have searched and looked but you all are pretty honest and have used the stuff. I know not all of it is good or lasts long and that's why i would rather get a honest opinion before i start buying, The belt on the budget for the car is very tight so I'm trying to avoid trial and error as much as i can.

5. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

on a tight budget,look in the weatherstrip dept at the depot.the denser the material the better ,not that cheap foam like shit 3m is good.some of that cheap stuff is like those 4th of july light with a match worms i remember.

6. At the dealership, a Hyundai-approved fix is dum-dum behind the weatherstrip, to help seal better.

Also called "strip caulk", available at NAPA, at least.

Cosmo

http://www.auveco.com/ is where I bought the weatherstrip for my '61 Falcon. It's called Ford weatherstrip.

7. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

if money is tight take a look at some junk cars , see if they have anything you can install

spend a bit of time making the doors close right and getting it right

8. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Thanks guys, I have done the old bodyman trick of massaging the upper door frame back by pulling slightly all around... It helped a little but im just going to order some foam that will collapse and try that so it will do all the filling for me. I know i shouldnt be picky with a 50 year old car but the radio isnt working to drown out the noise and the 6 banger isnt loud enough either.