Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects making the Woodward Roadster out of my 39 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quintin, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Quintin

Quintin

I am completely in love with the Woodward Roadster, and I have a 39 pickup that I now isnt exactly traditional. This is my attempt at making my own woodward. Not trying to do an exact copy. Obviously its not possible with a 39 chevy truck, but everyone has a budget. I love lakesters and this is my version one guess. Go easy on me.

first pictures are of when i got the truck and where it sits now

the hood sides are just tag board templates

Attached Files:

todd burgess likes this.
  2. Quintin

Quintin

The dash is out of a 55 ford that I got at a swap.

Attached Files:

3. servi53

servi53

looking good from here

4. It's definitely a improvement from what you started with. HRP

5. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Front end is lookin' good. Nice job on keeping the grille bars parallel.

6. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Hey Quintin, looking good. I could never figure out what to do with that thing. Looks like you're on the right track.
    Tom

7. Quintin

Quintin

thanks... I had this vision in my head for a while. Just finally got my head out of my ass to do it so I can call it "done." I've been looking for a model A but I figured I better finish one before starting another.

8. jadeidol

jadeidol
    from spokane

hey I just saw this thread looks great so far!!!!! I'm glad you like the roadster.

thanks john

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Dude... When I read the title and the description I was all like, "Not this shit again..."

But then I saw your images... You just might have something there.

10. Quintin

Quintin

It has been a while since I've worked on my 39. I was finishing up the garage.
    Finally got started again.
    Got the wood blasted and epoxyed.
    Started to mock up the hood sides and lower side panels.
    I also need to make a chin panel in the front yet.

Attached Files:

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gonna keep an eye on this one. Some very interesting things are happening.

12. Quintin

Quintin

Got the passenger side ready to get finish welded. Built a "chin" piece for the grill. Onto the other side.

Attached Files:

13. Nice job I really like the restyle. Keep up the good work.

14. Been a fan of the Woodward myself and I'd say you are doing very nice work. Make it yours!

15. I am really impressed with this build,especially from the back of the cab forward, the proportions are spot on.

Please don't take offense but IMHO the bed seems like it doesn't flow with the rest of the roadster,,short & stocky in appearance,,but the transformation is amazing. HRP

[​IMG]

16. john walker

john walker

saw this version online. could use a few more grille bars.

Attached Files:

17. HRP beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. I like where the front of the car is heading, but with all the extra visual mass up front, the bed seems like it is out of proportion with the rest of the car. I'd hate to see you lose it altogether, maybe something a bit more round to match the curves going on up front?

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

It flows fairly well.. Looks like a fun build making all the pieces fit together.. Keep at it...

19. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Bed looks OK to me, only because it is a truck after all.

20. Definatly has something going on

21. doctorZ

doctorZ

i was questioning the hairpins but seeing them come through the hood-side looks great!

22. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Can"t do photoshop but maybe make a rear roll pan that curves and makes it flow a little more. Also maybe extend the side of the bed down some between the front of the rear tire and the back of the cab.

23. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Something like this example. I love it by the way, especially the exhaust. Good luck with the rest of it.

Attached Files:

24. RussTee

RussTee

channel the bed ever so slightly so as to keep it on the same level as the body line. Yhe bed appears to drop at the back and appears stumpyer than it isit may even look better with a of later model pickup gaurds on the backor a flat tank same hight as the bed between the bed and the body.

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Quintin

Quintin

I agree about the bed. I want to leave the bed at that height because the bed side rail lines up with the body line on the cab. My plan is to make box side extensions with the same body line on the bottom of the cab. There will be a roll pan in the back to transition into the box side extension, which is where my taillights and plate will be.

26. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

To me, it looks like the bed is too low in the back, looks like it is dragging. Raising the back a little and making fill panels down to the bottom of the body would fix it just right,

27. Squablow

Squablow

I like what you've got going here. I must say, the "before" pic is pretty hard to stomach, but it looks like you've got an eye for proportions. I like the new nose and I like that you're (apparently) reworking the top of the cab where the roof was cut off, that was kinda thick and awkward before.

Hope you don't mind (since you've already got plans for the box) but I did a real quick photoshop adjustment on the box, keeping the top of the box lined up with the bodyline (but parallel with the bottom of the body line instead of the top) and evening out the heights front and rear, just to give you an idea of what those proportions would look like.

Obviously you haven't had time yet to rework the box and you have plans for it already but just food for thought, I really like it this way.

[​IMG]

28. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Keep going!... it's coming together nice!
    That side exhaust looks Cool! Wheels and caps work too! :)

29. NealinCA

NealinCA

That is a huge inprovement over what you had...

I agree with raising the rear of the bed and building some filler panels below

Even if a level tells you the bed is not sagging in the back, it needs to come up. I set the bed level to the bottom of the frame rail on my RPU, but ended up raising it in the rear as it looked like it was sagging (optical illusion).

Neal

30. Squablow

Squablow

The body line that slowly tapers down to the front is probably what is giving the illusion that the box is tilted slightly backwards, and I agree it would look nicer if it followed that line even if it is technically level as-is.