Register now to get rid of these ads!

Questions on buying a 41 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tapkoote, Jul 29, 2013.

1. tapkoote

tapkoote

This is the first foray into old hot rods.
    I'm on a retirement budget.
    I've bought plenty of old motor cycles, but don't know what to watch out for on an old car.
    What I want is a solid daily driver.
    This is what I know about this one.
    Granada running gear, I assume it's 302 W/C6 trany.
    Ford on Ford thats perfect for me. Had a 302 /C6 in a van.
    With that swap it would have to be all 12 volt wouldn't it?
    Original front and rear end.
    I've read some of the early ford threads, sounds like
    this suspension should be fine.
    Will it need front disc brakes (or how bad are the drum brakes)? What kind of cost?
    What kind of gearing is in these rear ends? Good for 70 on the freeway?
    Any hidden traps to look for?
    Thanks for any help
    Pat

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Hi.....Sounds like 12 volt electrics,.... Disc brakes are always a great improvement for a driver, and there are several good conversion kits for the original Ford spindles. That said, repop parts are readily available for the original drums. Body rust is always a question, so look under the floor mats.
    "Original rear end", with a C6 trans ? Original rear was the "torque tube" type,...C6 trans is open driveline.

Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK

3. yblock292

yblock292

Good point, was thinking the same thing, maybe a local HAMB'er could take a look at it for ya. Have done this before and seems like a good idea. I always worry about wiring, cobbled up jobs can be a disaster plus look at any welding that was done, such as motor mounts or any suspension stuff.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, get another set of eyes to help you check it out. lots to think about and how well it was done. no use in rushing into something that may be an expensive venture. unless you are looking for a project/driver, find something that already has the upgrades that you want. nice to think of a old car for a daily driver but, they can have their challenges. if Granada running gear likely C4 trans and maybe 8' Ford rearend. also, check with your insurance company about possible limits on driving a old car on a daily basis. have fun.

5. So you are in Seattle. I make Seattle once a year. Make sure the wipers are working good. It's a bitch to get to the motor behind the dash. Check the window gaskets, and vent gasket. And, even though you have more modern running gear, I'd seriously consider a change to a dual master cylinder. You guys are a bit more civilized on the road than we Texans, but with the hills around the Emerald city, you need top notch brakes.
    Would be cool to park a 41 in the parking lot at 13 coins.......

6. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

As you can see I'm a 41 Ford owner. If the one you are looking at has Granada running gear it's a C-4 trans. C=6 would be too big to fit. It should have an X member in the frame. Lots of part sources out there. If they swapped the complete drive train it might have an 8" ford rear end. :D

7. tapkoote

tapkoote

Thanks guys
    Hopefully this guy calls tonight.
    Read up on torque tubes, I'd heard the term never knew what it was. I take it a 9 inch rear end won't fit.
    Hope this isn't some hack job on the rear end, but it'd drop the price.
    Get this ( it's got to be wrong)- ins. girl says the car would be $2.53/6 mo. more than my truck, if I sell the truck,
    or double the bill if I don't. I told her it was a 4 door deluxe.
    I've spent some time under a welding hood so got that covered.
    Yep up here you need wipers and heat, no 13 coins- I'm retired.
    legend
    Do you mean an X brace on the frame like a convertible?
    Pat