Register now to get rid of these ads!

I remember waiting with anticipation on,,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Please hear me out,,,

The next issue of any magazine that was related to what we love,Hot Rod,Rod & Custom,Hopup and on and on.

It occurred to me today that I really don't buy magazines anymore with the exception of Rodders Journal.

I have a book shelf brimming with automotive titles but I find that I really don't read like I use too.

I do read the Hamb and pretty much spend all my free time here,,do you find yourself actually picking up a book anymore? HRP

2. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

Rarely.

Thats why major bookstores are going out of business. Sad really.

3. Well said, you described me to a T, pardon the pun.

4. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Like you, if not working my regular job or working on the hotrods, I spend most of my "free" time on here. I find the magazines have too many ads and less good tech articles these days and I'm not that old (37). Anything I need to know or want to learn more about usually pops up in a google search on the H.A.M.B. I'd rather spend my money on hot rod parts than magazine subscriptions anyways.

5. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

danny I see the similarities also I read rodders journal and v/8 times , a little rod&custom , but the mags have gone to adds and more adds , I think they are hurting just like the newspapers, a lot have things have changed thru the years , that seemed like yesterday , hell and event the stamp dosent get used much anymore , but they do have a nice musclecar series going right now and also jonny cash , shit I better stop, later

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I read Rod & Custom magazine, that's it. Everything else is on the internetz.

7. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Funny you should mention this, as I was just sent this by a friend. Paper is going away, but not ALL paper!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like to re read my old publications.

8. It's not just the magazines but pickup up a book and reading doesn't appeal to me as it once did,,a mere 10 years ago I read a book at least once a month,,I don't think I have read but 2 books in the last 10 years.:rolleyes: HRP

9. I can't make myself even read em for free at the grocery while my wife shops.....its not the sort of input/material I find interests me any more,simple how to do stuff a child might need ,-the latest millionaire's Riddler attempt.....and little else of substance.

And.... when the hell are they gonna realize there is a strong hobby nationwide and not just the"- celeb's" shops down the street from magazine headquarters?

Plus I have a real hard time paying for a catalog......that is what most magazines are these days.......

10. Beecher

Beecher

nope, not bought one in years, and I used to buy every single issue (not even a subscription)

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have a Speedway catalog by the toilet, rest is innernet.

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Ryan loves these threads!

13. HRP-,
    Its not only reading with me and others [at our age],It's writing as well...... I even tend to leave off the last few letter in my name when I sign it!
    its writing apathy I suppo........:cool:

14. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Yes I still read automotive books, mainly racing from the "Golden Era". Books have gotten so expensive that I am however very selective about what I buy. There are some great automotive journalists out there and I do enjoy having and keeping a good book.

As an aside I find it difficult to read from an electronic source, maybe the eyes maybe attitude but I really struggle with it.

15. Take Gene Cromers re-birth of the Moonlighter. The magazine format would not have "stacked-up" to what we had right here.

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I still look forward to get a magazine in the mail. I am down to just a few, RC, SR, TRJ, the gazette and the woodie times. I think I enjoy it as it allows me to stop for a second, no computer and just look at pictures and read the artcles about what parts were used to put the car together. you do not always get that info on the internet.

17. I suppose that might have a lot to do with it,Although we did have to wait for updates at times we were able to participate and ask questions,,even if you were not lucky enough to be there.

When I read voraciously I could imagine myself as a participant today with the internet we can see what is actually happening. HRP

18. Deuces

Deuces

I'm hooked on H.A.M.B.......

19. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I love coming here and to a couple of other sites I am associated with. However, I do not own an lap top and the computer is in the living room; I can not computer on the toilet, and have no deisre to. The magazines, catalogs and weekly area paper are next to it. Some sort of book travels with me to work each day to read before work and during lunch. At just over a half-a-century, I tend to looks at things traditional and "old school."

20. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

Certain magazines I do. The Rodder's Journal (of course), Cast Iron, the R&C Littlepages (when available). But, I have stopped with the rest. That being said, I have also found that a lot of old magazines, books, catalogs, etc. are going down in price so I have been spending my funds on those. I think I just realized that if I wanted information on how it was done 'back in the day' I needed to just read more magazine written then. Why look for old information in new magazines anyways?

21. i dont buy as many as i used to, been letting the subscriptions run out. they have a tendancy to have the same cars in 2-4 of the mags. i miss the days when a feture car may have been a fuel car, a funny car, gassers you get the idea. look at some of the mags from the sixties, they were full of this stuff. i love speed week, there should be a whole publication to that, but if you dont get on the hamb, you hardley see it. i think we all think this way and feel about the same. just my thoughts.

22. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

After Rodders Digest fizzled ( twice ),R&C and TRJ where the only ones of interest for me. Unfortunately my TRJ scrip ran out with #52 and even tho my R&C scrip runs till 10/14, I haven't cracked a page in over two years. Just doesn't seem that important anymore. For several reasons, too many to list. But I still miss my TRJs. Besides, The H.A.M.B. happens in real time. No three month+ lagtime.

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think if you're still ACTUALLY BUILDING hot rods both the old and new magazines are still relevant...

24. trollst

trollst

I still buy them on occasion, must be my age, I like the paper aspect of it. However, my habits have changed, I used to sit on the couch and read, now I enjoy the workbench and shop stool. I also agree that if you still build, they seem more relevant, the catalog part of it is useful, its more centralized, lotsa pictures and pretty colours to look at, I can see how something is going to NOT look on my car. I admit though, the formats of the rod mags get to me, they as a group, have forgotten the backyard builder and seem to think their readers are gonna buy everything rather than build it. Its the age we live in, rodders digest? Now there was an interesting read month after month.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I try to buy every Rodders Journal, thumb through a few others but only buy if there is something special. Sure isn't like it was 4-5 years ago when I'd just buy 2-3 per month without opening them. Odd thing today is even if I do buy a Rodders Journal it will sit in the Barnes & Noble bag for a week or so before I sit down and read it. This is what a HAMB addiction does to people. ................it's a GOOD addiction. Bob

26. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I pretty much let all my subs go 10+ years ago. I didn't see much of anything for a long time and then my wife's mom got me a sub to Super Chevy a few years ago thinking I'd enjoy it (I thought I would) but I'm just not into musclecars with low profile tires and million dollar suspensions. My boy who is 14 received a sub to Hot Rod about a year ago, and I have found that I enjoy reading through it, but it's more a novelty. Their articles are based much more on the latest whiz-bang products than how to better use what you have, or make stuff.

I have spent a lot of time on the HAMB over the last few years and really enjoy the ability to ask questions live, as well as the absolute volume of truly technical stuff written. The creativity around here is outstanding. I can't say I like every car, but I don't have to look at them, there is always so much more to see.

I've been in deep building a couple of cars for the last while so I haven't been around a whole lot, but this is where I come when I have some down time.

Devin

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not me, I read for at least an hour or two everyday. Especially in the summer when it's way too hot to be out side in the afternoons. Granted, these days I'm usually digging out and categorizing my automotive magazine collection from hell, (I literally have everything in print) But I still do buy Street Rodder, Rod&Custom, Rodders Journal, and Rod & Kulture every time there is a new one on the stand. I'm down quite a bit these days because my monthly intake also used to include several English bike magazines and four or five more automotive titles as well.

28. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally, I'm more of a pen and paper type person, so I still enjoy the printed media. BONNEVILLE BOB 95 mentioned Rodders Digest, does anyone know what number the last ever issue was? I think we missed out on that one here in OZ and I would like to find one to complete my collection.
    Thanks
    Michael

29. I am however going through my 60s HRM. The Bonneville coverage back then was amazing!

30. The following mags I get every issue and read them cover to cover...Rodders Journal, Rod & Kulture, Hot Rod Deluxe, NZ Hot Rod and Rolls & Pleats. Other mags I pick up the ones that interest me. I still get exited to see new mags on the rack.