Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!! tires rubbing tie-rods and dont know why!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by baggerman07, Jul 27, 2013.

1. baggerman07

baggerman07

Ok guys heres the deal... I have a 53 chevy 210,i put fat-man drop uprights on it, I then put 14x 5-6?? steel wheels with 3 1/2'' backspacing, there is a nice gouge in my sidewall from the tierod rubbing the heck out of it...any ideas??? I have seen guys on here lowering their cars the same way with same wheels...what gives?? the ones I have are not actually off the car but still have the same backspacing as the originals.....thanks guys

2. mattrod68

mattrod68

pictures are worth a thousand words

3. I'm gonna guess. Too much back space. On the tri 5 cars we couldn't run 14 inches with disc brakes.

4. Id guess backspace...try different rims....offset might be differnt....see it often...too big wheels...tires rubbing on struts...etc

5. baggerman07

baggerman07

problem is is that I don't think offset has anything to do with it. back space is backspace regardless of wheel width or offset if its rubbing on the inside of the tire then do I need to go up to a 15'' wheel or find ones with less backspace?? I just cant believe that the ones I have also have the same back space as the originals....

6. Believe what you want,,if the rim has too much back space the tires are to far to the inside. HRP

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

backspacing and the smaller inside diameter can cause problems - lowriders run 14"/13" but, use reversed rims. show a pic of how you are measuring the rear offset on both 15 & 14" wheels that you have.

8. baggerman07

baggerman07

I got the wheels that I have on there now from buddy just so I could have something to drive on, they aren't the originals. I have a chance to buy some originals but if they will cause the same problem then I don't want to. basically I just need to know if the originals will clear with the dropped steering arms??
    :confused:

9. mattrod68

mattrod68

dude, take a picture of the ones that are getting tore up. we cant help if we cant see what problems your having. more than likely once you put the drop spindles on you moved the tie rod closer to the tire (away from the center of the wheel). your gonna either need less back spacing, or a 15 inch rim to get the tire away from it.

but again, only guesses because we have know idea whats happening with your specific set up.

matt

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

You asked for help,you post some pics and you"ll get the help you need.Don't know how to post pics ,just ask.

11. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Did you drop the steering arms?

12. baggerman07

baggerman07

ok I will get some pics today..hopefully.

13. frontwheel drive cars are great example....offset total to inside....we ordered special wheels from billit specialties ...they put wrong offset in first set...needed spacers on rear diff to fit...was on 51 gmc truck..had to have them fix thier oops..
    http://www.billetspecialties.com/wheels/downloads/

14. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

15. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

The problem would be.. the 14" wheels and tires.. I just went through the same thing on the 55 I have.. it did not work.. so I went back to the 15" tires. now no problems.

16. mattrod68

mattrod68

That's how we we fixed it on a camaro I put drop spindles on at work. One thing to always look at with drop spindles!

Live and learn

17. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I installed a used pair of Fatmans dropped uprights and spindles on my 52 Chevy. I had bias-ply tires on the factory wheels. My tie rods were akunt hair from the tires. After I drove it I noticed rub marks. I don't know why but I didn't bother trying to call them, I thought they may be less helpfull since I bought them used. But, I fixed it by heating the dropped arms slowly with a rosebud, bent it in a little, then let it cool slowly.

18. baggerman07

baggerman07

ok guys got the pics the first one show the rub mark and how close it is..the wheel is a 14x6 with 3 1/2 backspace and the tire is a 195/70/14.i tried a 15'' and it didn't change anything. the pic with the car on the ground shows how far in the wheel and tire sit in the wheel well and the pic of the wheel off the car is a close up just to show its a regular steel wheel..any ideas guys?? thanks

Attached Files:

19. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

the tire size your using will bulge out on 6" rims. you could use a spacer for now. it is a cheap fix untill you get the right offset rims.

20. baggerman07

baggerman07

well I kinda need some suggestions on wheel/tire size...I don't wanna buy certain ones and be stuck with them when they don't clear..

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Measure. Or test fit.

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plenty of tutorials on the internet (including Youtube) that'll show you how to accurately measure backspacing.

23. I'd get a 1/4" spacer for each side and gugidiboutit!

24. baggerman07

baggerman07

spacers wont leave me much for lug nut threads

25. baggerman07

baggerman07

at southpaw..i know how to measure backspace..im just wondering how everyone is running stock rims and dropped uprights with dropped steering arms and not having problems rubbing...is it because im running 14's instead of 15's? I think the backspace is actually less than most wheels but the width is sooo narrow that I agree it may be causing "bulging" of the tire and thus causing tire-to-tierod rubbing??......

26. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

that year chev should have 15 inch wheels , or you will need to get a more centered wheel less offset

27. I'm thinking it's the bulging tire that is causing the problem.

FWIW,you commented that spacers would create a problem with the lugs,,you can go to NAPA and purchase longer lugs. HRP

28. baggerman07

baggerman07

I have already switched the studs for longer ones..so cant do that...im just wondering if it because I have a 14''x5.5-6 wheel and a 195 tire on it??.. would a original 15x6 solve it??

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just run a pair of wheel spacers and be done with it for now. That will move the tires out far enough so that they clear the tie rod ends and get you by until you decide exactly what you want do to be able to run without the spacers. It isn't the best idea but most of us on here who are over 60 did it back in the 70's when we had drum brake wheels that we wanted on newly purchased early 70's disk brake cars. I ran a pair on my 48 for probably 200,000 miles half with disk brakes on a Camaro subframe and half with a stock axle with 54 car brakes.