Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chassie-number Ford 1933 -34 p/u

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wmike, Jul 29, 2013.

1. 3wmike

3wmike

Hi
    Can someone out there tell me where to find the chassienumber on a
    Ford 1933 p/u, there can be on several places I´ve been told.
    We have problem with the registration in Sweden.
    Regards Michael

2. purp47

purp47

the frame number usually is located on top of the frame rail right beside the steering box . it's sometimes hard to read because it is hand stamped. and not stamped to deep. just went through this on a 33 delivery I'm restoring. purp47

3. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It is stamped in 3 places on the top of the left hand rail.
    Near the steering box
    Near the center
    Near the rear cross member

4. Here in the states it's on the left side of the frame in 3 different places,,in Sweden it is possible it could be on the right side of the frame depending on which country stamped the frame rails. HRP

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Depending on how much of the truck you have...the original number was the engine number, stamped on the bell of the trans right above inspection plate if V8, on the bell right above starter on 4 cylinders.
    Numbers are all on line to date them within that...the bell number is almost always easy to read and easy to find if your truck still has those parts.
    Rear 2 frame numbers are often not found on commercials but all should have the front one.
    You are looking for star*B-5,xxx,xxx* on a 4, *18-somewhere in the 2, 3, or 4 hundred thousands* if a V8.
    Frame number is VERY often hard to read or even find...do not use abrasives beyond some wire brushing in case it is very shallow. Strip any paint, look things over with a powerful flashlight held at a slant. The stars are usually the most apparent and give you a clear beginning and end.
    Bluto has posted tech for raising the worst case numbers. I will not mention here that very nice stamp sets are available. You need some special stuff as Ford used odd font to help prevent people from clarifying problems like this! Stamping numbers incorrectly would be a stupid risk, as good information on how they look is available both to us and in reference books made for the government.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I THINK Swedish sold Fords would have normal Ford numbering, but in accordance with local laws most European Fords also got an actual engine block number (manifold surface of block V8, left side pad like Model A for the B) and an elaborate brass firewall plate with serial, horsepower, etc.
    Firewall plate would have been Ford embossed for a car originally sold there. At least in Germany, cars not built for German sale have to get such a plate made up and attached when imported.

7. 3wmike

3wmike

Thanks guys
    The p/u was bought from the States last year from a dealer through a 3:rd fellow and it is a Hot Rod with 350/700 so it`s rather difficault to have any history about the car
    Michael

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK, then the frame rail is your only hope. If the thing has an aftermarket frame, the original vehicle is gone if the law is rigidly enforced.

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Bruce

I've a Dutch Model A ...the engine has a number different than in US Production

And the chassis number is under the body!

10. IS this the same for the coupes?

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I think Ford numbered their chassis and engines to indicate not only where they were produced but also 4 cylinder engine size many non-US motors were only 2 ltr!

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The small bore A's had AF prefixes and came from Ford England, sold in parts of Europe where they fit tax code/gas prices...bore is so small you can see the difference on a complete engine where the bores are visible on left!
    Dutch, low countries in general, Scandinavia seemed to have gotten Fords from multiple sources since they lacked tax barriers...Canadian numbers were entirely different from USA, British Ford used blocks of USA numbers and I think Germany did too? Germany and England also had foundry marks on their bangers.
    How are things going over there?? I'm sure you have stripped the patch of land between Vienna, Moscow, and Istanbul of lots of goodies that have been hiding since WWII!
    Did you ever dig up any solid history on your Boss Model A racing block??

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I go south but never too far east.......

The 5 main? We have scanner it and are making another...... It is still the earliest design I've seen Given the A rear main and seal and the bronze main caps.... people still say it's a HAL but HAL differs in these areas as you know.

We have scanner the HAL model A head and the 5 main block and will cast new of each for Z's race car.

I'm building prewar BMW racers and a couple other things too.

Our 1931 Woody is Dutch...... when we drove it in LA the A guys all wanted to know why it was Dutch and not right hand drive.......