Register now to get rid of these ads!

Current photos of modern day "Nostalgia" race cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falcongeorge, Jun 22, 2011.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

rfraze, I feel your pain...

...BUT...

...many current day cars that enter nostalgia races have morphed into thinly disguised state-of-the-art racecars with all the modern underpinnings cloaked in a body so heavily stretched, smoothed, lowered, tubbed and narrowed carbon fiber shells that they would look right at home in a Salvador Dali painting.

The current state of Pro Mod racing brings to mind several examples of this. I think there are enough truly period-correct cars out there to look at that the moderators are right in being judicious in their censoring those that have gone over the edge.

I don't recall which of yours got censored but those may have crossed the line. At any rate thank you for your other valid contributions.

2. rfraze

rfraze

Thanks Flyer.

I was trying to tell the story of gassers from the beginning of nostalgia racing, by talking about as many as I could remember and soliciting input on those I did not. It really is an interesting story. Reading back thru the thread, I must have missed the warning in post #179. More likely, I read too much into the thread name and off I flew. My apologies.

I am looking for the proper forum to tell the whole story, not some cherry-picked, censored version. The effort expended to build and race each car that makes up nostalgia gasser history is too important to exclude. There are several significant groups currently creating parts of that history. Each of these groups protects the "identity" of gassers in their own way.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. Awww...

C'mom John, do it justice! ;)

4. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Johns car isn't a modern day nostalgia car though, it's a real car that was there and is back restored as good, probably better than it was before. It's an awesome car!

5. I know, John posted it. I was just helping the car out! ;)

Oh and Jim Oddy even said that the car never looked that good when he had it. :D

Ya' gotta give Trouble credit, he certainly did the car justice. :cool:

6. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Great thread. Here is my build.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    alphabet soup likes this.
  7. Samu23el

Samu23el
    from USA

Life is good on the lunatic fringe[​IMG]

8. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

jpnewlin, nice Chevy!

9. Nitrobaron

Nitrobaron

Here is a new build from our shop by my 22 yr. old son Alex, just off the jig for this mock-up on Easter Sunday 2013. 180" wheel base and the build criteria was to stay as traditional as possible within the current regulations.
    Strong inspiration from Don Long's HRM "Project 200 mph".
    I might start a build thread if there is any interest?

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Mighty fine looking piece aand within the spirit of what Nos racing is all about.

Now the next things I am about to say will upset a couple of wannabes as they feel my comments are all about me -But here it goes anyway.

The frame seperating uprite foward of the engine is an idea from the 60's that did not go much further than that and most racers back then welded them up. Modern tires and track starting lines tend to favor a stiffer chassie to allow the tire (as its designed) to do the work of "planting itself".

I would also (as I do on cust. frames) run a diag. from the bottom foward engine uprite to the next uprite. Thats a real heavy engine and will need more support and the frame will last longer.

So you dont think I am just a keyboard busybody that likes to tear everyones car apart--heres some backround, Don was pretty influential to me, He and I had shops next to each other for 20 years and we had many of disscusions on theory and engineering over those years and just trying to pass on that magic

Attached Files:

11. rooman

rooman

I would agree with Bruce on this one. My 1979 Don Long has diagonals in that bay (and in fact it has them in the first 4 bays ahead of the motor upright) and I have been putting them in at least the first bay ahead of the motor in the cars that I build.

Roo

12. Nitrobaron

Nitrobaron

Bruce, rooman,

The extra forward diagonals have been a discussion point between my son and I.
    It's his build so I am just a mentor with age and experience, and trying hard to stay out of his way. He does blame me for passing down the "sickness" though.

I do not want to hijack this great thread by continuing this discussion here. I do intend to start a build thread soon. I would invite you both to continue this discussion once the build thread is up. There may be a few other things you can help with as well.
    Thanks for watching out for everyone, we do honestly appreciate your input.

13. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

This is my work in progress. Hopefully it will be burnin' up the tracks in about 6 weeks!

[​IMG]

14. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Sorry about the oversized pic

15. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Thanks Jimmy. I like yours as well.

16. rfraze

rfraze

Modern nostalgia ET World Record! AA/S driver Troy Owen went 6.45 at 214 during eliminations at Woodburn, OR Season Opener against Howard Anderson, the previous track record holder. In the final, the Legends '41 Willys backed it up with a 6.49.
    Albany, OR is home for this Superior Glass bodied Willys, that looks like a '41, and runs a class legal 5.5 lbs/cubic inch and is limited to a 6-71 supercharger. (The same rules run in AA/S for 19 years)
    Congrats to a super team including Dave and Lois Owen and Jack McCann. See pics and more info at aasupercharged.net .

17. rfraze

rfraze

Check out the new online magazine at nostalgiadragworld.com by Rob Huckstadt. Being generated out of the Chicago area, it is truly an open book on nostalgia drag racing around the world. It's pages are OPEN for your input. Take some pictures and use your keyboards to show us what is happening, or going to be happening, in your area!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

19. olympic2

olympic2

Great talking to you yesterday at Pacific Raceways, hope ya don't mind if I include a few photos... I admire your righteous Dart (I'm the Marine Dad) and really appreciate the hard work you put into it. You're a good man, keep the faith and the win lights lit up brother!

Steve O/Lacey

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  20. FEDER

FEDER

The pleasure was all mine meeting You yesterday. Thanks for all the compliments on My Dart. My Son and I did all the work on this car in a small dbl car garage. We would push it outside in the driveway when nice to do a lot of the work. My Son used to drive it to school back in 92 and 93. It still had a 440 in it then and ran mid 12s. Sounds like You also have some wonderful Sons (MARINES) Ill pray they stay safe. When the one Gets home You will have fun doing Your project-Its priceless time. FED

Attached Files:

21. rfraze

rfraze

Here are a few pics of one of the AA/S cars that ran at Pacific Raceways event. The Legends '41 Willys out of Dave's Rod Shop in Albany, OR was mentioned as World Record holder in a previous post. Driven by Troy Owen, this car runs in a true weight-to-cubic inch, heads-up class which celebrates it's 20th anniversary in 2014.
    Body is by Superior Fiberglas, chassis by Bill Fitting, 440 inch Brad, and air-shifted B&J trans. Class is limited to a 15" 6-71 supercharger and this one is a 2 lobe Don Hampton version.

Attached Files:

• 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      433.8 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      497.1 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      509.5 KB
      Views:
    • 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      520.6 KB
      Views:
  22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

The latest iteration of the Barn job #18; Flyin' Brick II .........

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Very nice. Why did you relocate the engine forward?
    It does look more "right" to me that way.

24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Thanks. This's what I'd wanted to build right off, but held off in order to get the HA/GRs going out here. There're several of us now, so ...... time to do it over in the original design. :cool:

Actually, the engine's where it was before, albeit offset right by 4 1/2".
    Office though, is no longer in front of the engine, now beside & aft of it, ala "Midnite Oil" layout.
    Shortest shift linkage outside of a top shifter. :D

Oh yeah, and I shortened the LOA by a couple feet in the process. :rolleyes:
    (pictures of the change-over job here)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  25. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Late reply since I don't frequent the site much anymore. But so far we have been 9.80@137 with a fat/safe tune up but are getting ready to lean on it a bit and hope/believe it has 9.30's at 140+ in it.
    Thanks for the compliment and support.
    Dave

26. pnevells

pnevells

our nostalgia altered

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  27. Here are some pics of cars that have raced recently at Eddyville Raceway Park in Iowa.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  28. More pics.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  29. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Very clean and simple Altered. Nice job.

30. [​IMG]

I like it Dick but was really impressed with all of your linkage before.....
    See ya at Eagle........