Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features traditional t bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merles_garage, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Kramer

Kramer

I for one will be looking forward to the thread.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope, goin' backwards on this one. I've had a set of mid sixties straight spoke torque thrusts hanging around the house with cheater slicks on the back looking for an home for quite awhile now. I think to start, the "sprint" type headers are going to get sandblasted and painted white, the turn signals will be ash canned, the street rod standard tube front axle is going to become a drilled "I" beam, and the fashion victim serape interior is going to become very simple white vinyl. In all I'm hoping that for very little dollars I can make it look somewhat convincingly like something that would have rolled around about '66 or so.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn I'm glad to have this thread front and center again! There another 2 hours of my life gone!!!

4. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Chip

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Please take pictures of what you bought so we can see what you started with. Either start a new thread or continue your build on this one. I too like this thread and enjoy it whenever it comes back up. Trying to think of how I can help you with parts or otherwise. I do have a couple of Chevy. 525 steering boxes If you might want to use one. I still need to repay you for the Falcon generator. I'll dig around and see if I have anything else you could use. Hoping to be well again from my heart surgery by October and the wife and I might take a motorhome trip down that way and if you don't mind I would like to stop by and see your digs and if I have any parts you need, drop them off.

Gary

7. Heo2

Heo2

I allways liked that one:cool:

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You are always welcome, friend!

I'm all set on steering and such on this deal. This car is a runner that is really just needing title work and a whole bunch of ugly wiped off. I actually put this car together as a roller back in march/April of last year for one of my clients that has a habit of collecting T-Bucket stuff at swaps, (I think I'm probably to blame for starting that) and when he has enough for to build a roller, hauls the whole lot over to me to tab together.

After I have done the basic ground work, he has another buddy plumb, wire, and get it running with what ever he has at hand to do it with. and herein lies the rub, I love both these guys like older brothers, but neither really know much about the finer details of what they are doing. He got a bit upset with me for instance, when I set the engine up tight enough on this car so didn't have room to put a big ugly HEI in it, purposely!

So, as a result, the car has a great stance, good solid "bones" of basic construction, ugly wheels, ugly pipes, ugly grill shell, ugly wiring, ugly plumbing, and an ugly serape upholstery job over bad seating posistion. Nothing that some careful, simple redoing of stuff and correct detail won't cure. That's gonna be the deal here - making something nicer out of something fugly for cheap. I'm kinda pointing this at younger guys like our buddy CoronetR/T who think that owning something like this is kinda a far flung dream. And, even though it will be close to "pure" for the eras we enjoy, I can tell you it won't be perfect. I'm going for the look here more so than the perfect. I'll have pictures soon, it should be home tomorrow afternoon if all goes well.

9. 54sled

54sled

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375048713.517128.jpg my t-bucket

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

One of my favorite Weesner prints. Wonder why? Kind of a '60s version of my T. Great look though.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  11. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

This is were mine is today...I think it captures the "look" pretty well....might change out the headers nd pipes to something more period....and maybe a flat paint...

Attached Files:

12. 27T

27T

13. Car Fox

Car Fox

I like this style but maybe not the color

Attached Files:

14. tjm73

tjm73

They had another car just like that (same color even) except it had a flathead. Cool car.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Are those bias ply or radials?

Chop the windshield.

16. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

love this. one of my favorites.

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

The paint is fine. Change the steering wheel and windshield braces. I like overall though. It does have a look.

18. jalopy45

jalopy45

I wouldn't change anything but the steering wheel to a larger diameter. I like to at least think I have power steering,... ;)

19. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

It is the best steering T Bucket I have owned....

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Are those bias ply or radials tires?

21. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Great modern interpretation of a T. Love it's almost too much, but just enough effect.

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Sorry for the criticism Flootiebuell. I just can't help myself. I do really like your T.

Your T definitely has a '60s look and those little dished wheels were popular then. I just never liked them. But that's just my problem. I'd like to see more pictures of the car.
    As you can see in my avatar my roadster used to have the same headers before I changed the engine. If you don't like them and really want the '60s vibe maybe some regular roadster headers.

23. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

No worries Steel Rebel...I welcome the input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Since your asking... I think were it mine, the first thing I would do is pull a few short leafs out of the rear spring and get that rear down an inch or so. With that full a spring it's gotta ride like a truck! The windshield braces need to go down to the head lights like Gary said, And I too would go with a slightly larger steering wheel.
    The other thing I would do would be to hunt up a set of American straight spoke Torque Thrusts, Halibrands, or some thing like that. Another I could see on that car would be Cagar S/Ss, but in a 6" and 4 1/2" size like was available in '64 - '65 when they first came out. The last and cheapest idea would be to take the wheels you have now and reverse them, paint them black to match the car and use a small baby moon type cap with lots of dome to it. I don't like when guys put overly wide wheels on a bucket, but there is something not quite right about having a non reversed wheel on a bucket. Look at Ivo's car for an inspiration on that.

25. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

The current state of the T is how I bought it....There are actually shims on the rear spring mount so a 1 to 2" drop for the rear will be simple, I was thinking of reversed chromies, or black as well...not to fond of cragars, but I do dig Torques....I have a some in the back shop some where although I still think reversed is the way to go! Thanks for the input...seems like great minds think alike.....but I kinda dig the steering wheel!

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, Chrome reverse would look awesome on your car with out caps and with simple acorn style lug nuts. Not sure why that didn't come to mind while I was typing before.

One thing I notice as I dig through early to mid sixties magazines, by about '65 or so, the typical "sprint" and "classic" type headers seemed to come on line about that time. My new bucket has about the hinkiest pair of grotty but solid "sprints" that you can imagine but are still solid and usable. One of my first priorities was going to be making something a little less cookie cutter for mine, but a second thought has come to mind. Since mine are usable and lacking turnouts, I think I might do another mid sixties cue and sandblast the last bit of chrome off them and paint them white, which was another fad at the time. I'm thinking I might do a three bolt cap and a 2" dump running under the car to a short glass pack and tail pipe if there is room, too. Yours look to be in pretty good shape chrome wise, but I bet a similar treatment would look pretty damn cool on your car too.

On mine, I still am going to build something nicer down the line, but that I believe will be the quickest way to get on the road and be a bit different and back date the car a bit at the same time.

27. Babyburr

Babyburr
    from Hurst, TX

Here is mine so far. 10" stretch. I had to have more room.

[​IMG]

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, here it is...! Many many things will be changing very soon, but the bones are pretty decent as far as they go. But it was CHEAP! has a fresh 327 and T.H.350, and I set up the chassis about a year ago. First up will be my set of American racing five spokes with Hurst cheaters on the back, and some little 155s on the front. I am very tempted to go with bias plys on the front, but the slicks are on radial casings, and unlike some folks around here, I'm not completely anti radial. I have a complete '23-'25 windshield that will get installed this weekend, and the headers will get extended about 15" and blasted and painted white. Also, I'll be changing the radiator out top either a non chrome late "T" shell, or a short deuce with an aluminum. dimple died insert.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  29. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

^^^^^^^ SWEEEEET!!!!! Cant wait to see it "Chipified" ^^^^^^^^

30. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

Nice looks like a bitchen little project!