Register now to get rid of these ads!

33-34 Ford Grille

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by concreteman, Jul 28, 2013.

1. concreteman

concreteman

Hello Guys
    I bought a 33 hood to put on my 34 thinking it would fit my 34 grill :(
    so I am looking for a 33 grill :D anybody used one of these grills from Lee Nottingham - price and advice ?
    Thanks

Lee Nottingham and the 1933 Ford Grille

2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Find the right hood.

3. concreteman

concreteman

I have the right hood - the car has 33 doors - so I would like it to look like a 33 - I like the look of the 33 more than the 34 :eek:

4. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Seems like a year or so ago on here, someone either bought one or saw one and was really impressed by the quality. since I was looking for a 34 grille I looked them up and they didn't make 34 grills at that time but the 33s looked pretty good. Not too many choices out there for a good quality 33 or 34 chrome repop.They must be made of gold under the chrome.

5. concreteman

concreteman

My 34 grille is in good shape - but have been told the 33 hold will not fit (have not received the 33 hood yet)

Attached Files:

6. TERPU

TERPU

Well Chris here's the scoop-

A '33 grill is swoopier than the '34 and has different dimensions on the top roll. The hood, side panels, and grill are all year specific on '33 and then changed in '34. the main reason a '33 hood doesn't fit a '34 is that it is dimensionally too long. The '33 Grill has a less pronounced top roll and lets the hood with the bead (33) sit nicely into the top. The '34 has a larger top roll and the hood is shorter due to this. So you either have to buy a Grill, or find a '34 Hood. Do NOT cut the '33 Hood to fit, all your tools will be taken away and your car privelages revoked. If you want to come over and see the difference I have both grilles on hand. I know All Ford has a very nice Gennie '33 Grill hanging up in the shop, it's not perfect but it will fit your car nicely. Just open your wallet and don't look if you really want a '33. The '33 grill in the picture is an aftermarket one, it's pretty Darn nice as well. '34 on top the '33 is the lower one.

- Have you found a back panel for your car yet?

All the Best,

Tim

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've sold several Nottingham grilles with no complaints.

8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Terpu has it right on all counts. Your 34 hood and grille look to be in great shape. If you put them up for sale, it should help you recover a lot of the cost of switching over to 33 parts. Nice looking coupe!

9. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks Tim
    I will come over when I get the hood - it is being shipped greyhound as we speak - your the one that got me thinking about how cool a 33 looked -then a 34 - the 34 I have has 33 doors - so I thought it would be a easy swap :confused:
    I bought the 33 hood which looks near perfect with the intent of putting louvers in it - now I am having second thoughts about that:eek:

buy a Grill, or find a '34 Hood. Do NOT cut the '33 Hood to fit, all your tools will be taken away and your car privelages revoked (you know me pretty good):D:D

10. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

The 33 hood latches differently than a 34 , has no hole in the lower cowl,33 has a bracket at the lower cowl and on the radiator

11. To further complicate things, the change in the hood and grille did not coincide with the model change, but occurred late in the '33 model run. Late '33s had a "'34" grille and hood from the factory. Generally true that '33 grille curves out at bottom and '33 hood has curved louvers and single latch, while '34 grille is straight with straight hood louvers and two hood handles per side--just not absolutely true, because late '33s got the '34 parts. As far as I know, the difference in the doors is a reliable way to tell a '33 from a '34, although '33 and '34 doors will interchange.

12. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I have used the Lee Nottingham grill and it is a beautiful piece.

13. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

My dad put a Nottingham grille on his 33 3w instead of paying a fortune to have his original grille re-plated. Financially, your a bunch of money ahead with a Nottingham grille, very nice grille for the money!

Good Luck!

Attached Files:

14. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks bobby - Socks
    great looking 33 your dad has kid

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I've got a good friend who builds cars, he said they were outstanding. for him to say that they must be good,cause he don't like nothing:D

16. TERPU

TERPU

Or you could just trade for this one, because I know the Louver guy needs a '33 Hood Top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. concreteman

concreteman

Lets do it
    Thanks Tim :D

18. TERPU

TERPU

Sounds good,

Call me when the Hood gets here.

Tim