Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alsa Strech Chrome vs Innate Chrome Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicamarvin, Mar 5, 2012.

1. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well guys I got myself a sample of Alsa's NEW Stretch Chrome film and it looks like Alsa used their best chrome paint(Mirra Chrome) instead of their Spray On Chrome Fx chemicals(which I will be testing in another thread) I kinda had this feeling so I went ahead and bought a Innate Chrome Paint kit also(with their own protective clear) and I will be testing it against alsa's best.

the Contenders first face off..:cool:

Innate Chrome Paint and protective clear
    [​IMG]

Alsa Stretch Chrome film
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not new to chrome painting I will also be testing both brands against a really good no name(from china) chrome paint(low quality enamel rattle can)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

both of these chrome paints will be tested with a protective clear coat as Alsa's Stretch Chrome comes already sealed wit their clear...

2. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

updates coming soon...

3. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Ok I was going to use plastic spoons for this test, but somebody wanted me to fix their motorbike rear view mirror covers, so it was a good time to put this guys to the test..

this is how all starts, a perfect or near perfect mirror like black base coat(my all time favorite and the one I use for all of my jobs, 2k Urethane automotive grade Sherwin williams clear coat, with a black base)

glossiest Black
    [​IMG]

Innate Chrome Paint after 2 hour dry time and buff with polishing towel(included in the kit)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Innate Chrome after 4 hour dry time(Innate says you have to wait 24 hours) and with their protective Clear coat, which is by far the clearest clear I have seen on my life and it works better than Future water based sealer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

now vs Alsa Stretch Chrome Film(which is just their mirra chrome paint in a film)

I must say I just dont have a use for their film as of now, I could not get it to work nice on this piece.. but you can see how good is their paint and clear..(both Innate and Alsa are cleared here)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as you can see seems like Alsa Chrome paint is a little bit better, but it has a highly polished aluminum tone of color, where as the Innate chrome shade its closer to real chrome( its abit darker), so far I prefer paint over any film..

a few videos coming soon..

4. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Innate chrome No Clear..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OZMiI9vO15s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Innate Chrome with their protective clear

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4YxWIr0PbO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Innate Chrome with 2k Urethane Clear coat(after the protective clear was dry) I will be polishing it out on monday I know it can get better

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a31QDFBnNKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hope you guys like it..

5. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Subscribed.
    This is great research info.
    Thanks.

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

In the last video the surface looked kind of orange peely, was that from the base or the silver paint?

I'm not trying to be picky, it's just if you want a chrome finish it has to be perfect. I've been watching your other thread with great interest. Keep up the good work.

7. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

not from the base. I believe its from the chrome paint under lots of stress(2 coats of their protective clear and 2 coats of 2k urethane clear) the base was perfect, but I did not allowed the chrome paint to cure for 24 hours as suggested by Innate.

this is what they suggest.

1.black glossy cured based(which I did)
    2.mist coat the chrome paint untill you like whatyou see.
    3. allow 24 hours to cure and then buff the surface with polishing towell
    4. 2 light coats of their protective clear and allow 24 hours to cure
    5. its up to you if you want to clear coat it with 2k urethane or not.

one thing to keep in mind guys, the Alsa Stretch chrome its really hard to stretch and its difficult to get it in round places.

so far even witht he orange peal I like how it looks. I know it can only get better. but if you had to ask me which on I like the best between the Best Chrome Paint vs Spray On Chrome for small to medium pieces. I would say Spray On Chrome can be made to look better and its actually much cheaper(if you compared their total coverage per dollar paid), both are as hard to get right. they both have a steep learning curve, and you need to get all of the stages correct(prep, basecoat, chrome coat, top coat) if you don´t get one of the stages right you will see it.

8. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

For prepping for the base coat of black, how fine of sand paper did you before applying the black base coat? Would wanting until the base coat is thoroughly cured and then buffing the base color before applying the final finish be a goo idea to get the best final finish? I realize you're learning as you're going along but as far as anyone one else here you're the closest to an expert we have on this stuff.

9. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

this piece was previously chrome(the chrome was bad) so I had to remove the chrome before I did the base coat. before the primer coat I use 500 grit sandpaper, then 800 grit before the black base, the the black base coat(I used single stage glossy black from sherwinW. 2k) 2 coats, the last coat goes on thin so I don´t have to buff the base at all, why? well nothing beats the shine of recently painted pieces and I´m not good at buffing because as of today I have yet to achieve the same gloss once I have started to buff, but if I have to I will do it.. I wait 24 hours to buff my SW Base..

I just graduated from Spoons not long ago(a few days ago) :eek:

its easier to get it right on a spoon as I just dipp the piece on paint and let it drip the excess. so I guess I´ll be learning from larger pieces from now on..

this is how glossy I like my parts before chrome paint or spray on chrome
    [​IMG]

now chromed(this spoon was done years ago with a no name chrome paint from a rattle can, you can see the paint´s cap)
    [​IMG]

10. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I´ll be using Innate chrome paint again, I´ll be repairing an old rear view mirror for a customer.. will be posting pics of the finished part

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stay tunned..

11. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

same pice after prep..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after black glossy basecoat(to be ready for Innate Chrome Paint)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think by Saturday I will have update pics..

12. The main thing with any of these products is what they look like in 6 months, 1 year etc. How do they handle real life elements. I suppose wait and see.

13. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Well done, I appreciate your straight forward method of hypothesis to theory development. In my view, the fact that you are sharing your development impresses this old man.
    Generally, I am not a guy that chrome plates anything on my gear, yet, your efforts suggest some applications that may fit a few of my many projects.
    Admittedly, I haven't searched, but, have you evaluated other metal appearance products, like Nickle, Bronze or Brass ? (I do a lot of vintage instrument repairs)
    Carry on, I live to learn.
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

14. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

this is Chrome Paint and about the best there is, but its only as durable as you make it. you see I only use Automotive grade 2k Urethane coatings(SherwinW excelbase) after the chrome paint there is 3 coats of 2k urethane clear. once cure its very hard to damage.

Thanks I had to try one of the best chrome paint in the market, because I know there is some use for it.

some things can´t be plated and are too old to easily find a replacement, so here comes one of the best chrome paint in the market to the rescue, while not nearly as shiny as real chrome, its good enough for the job

Innate chrome its actually MotoChrome paint and one of the paint they also carry(motostorm) is Molten copper and if its anything like its chrome paint I would say its good..

http://www.motostorm.com/index.html

or.. you could use Spray On Chrome which is not paint but chemicals and then tinted the clear to look just like Nickel, Bronze or Brass, its not easy but I have done it.

15. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

ok guys this is how the finished piece(with 2k clear coat) looks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I got more Innate Chrome Paint, I will be testing and showing results of my work with this Super Paint....

Stay tuned because I will be doing lots of work on vehicle parts using this amazing paint

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I did this with the little left I had from that 8oz bottle...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/anS55zgcWbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll be doing more soon... :cool:

18. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Long ago I found this How to paint with Innate(Motochrome and MotoClear) but I didnt save it, untill now that I´ve found it again. much of it got stuck on my thick head...

here is the Link of such a nice how to using this same process..
    http://www.airbrush-tech.com/AIRBRUSH/chrome1.html

here are some of the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will get to do a tank too, soon...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  19. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I´m Back in the Game with Innate Chrome Paint...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5PG8wdQIBBQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. billey bob

billey bob
    from So. Oregon

Marvin, Great to have you back. I hope this thread keeps going this time.

21. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

saddly the coverage is very low with this type of chrome paint, it has the good looks but not good coverage