Register now to get rid of these ads!

had gas in my oil now what?? additive???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n847, Jul 28, 2013.

1. n847

n847

So I posted in my build thread a few weeks ago that I was getting oil in my gas on my mild SBC and through using the search function I was able to find most of the info I needed and I promptly drained the oil out of the engine, but now that I have the carb re-built I'm going this morning to get my oil and filler up. I didn't have 40 miles on it this year and there wasn't oil in the gas when I changed it before I put those miles on it, but I'm still concerned about the gas having washed all the protection out of the bearings (if that makes any sense). I'm going to get oil this morning after I re-install the carb. I'm going to put 10 or 20 miles on it and change it again.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions on an additive I should use for additional protection, also I was thinking about using an oil flush product when I change the oil again to try and help get the last of that gas out.

Should I run a different viscosity oil? I normally run 10W 30.

Maybe I'm over thinking it but you never know.

Just for back ground I'm running a Holley red electric pump with the pressure regulator set at 6psi (if I remember correctly), so the gas wasn't coming through a leaky fuel pump. I found a few problems with the carb during the rebuild. Mainly with the electric choke and the choke plate. But I'm not sure the power valve wasn't leaking around the gasket a little, and I did find some fine particulate in a couple places as well. This carb had been run while I was fighting issues with bad gas and gas tank but the fuel supply is all clean now with 2 new fuel filters in line one before the pump and one before the carb!

Thanks for the time guys!

2. Won't hurt a bit to run 20-50 oil , the small amount of gas left after changing your oil will either mix , or more likely evaporate , If you have gas in oil, and an electric pump , the only way gas can get in oil is over fueling , (stuck choke, over pressure , speck of gunk in needle/seat , etc.) adding a product like Z-max can't hurt either , BUT, if you have the same oil pressure as before , good oil pressure , then you should be OK

3. HamD

HamD

That's all you need to do. Drain it the minute you arrive home so it's HOT. Your bearings aren't going to get junked because of a single gas incident like that.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand your concern, but I don't think you really need to take any special precautions, other than to crank the engine for a few seconds with the coil wire removed before starting it. (or without the key on if it's still a push-button cranking system) Once the good oil gets to the bearings, (and that's gonna happen quickly) I doubt that there'll be enough residual fuel to cause a problem. The only thing I'd possibly be concerned about is the lifters. There may still be some thinned oil in 'em. I don't know if you still have the flathead six or something else in your car, so I don't know if the lifters are hydraulic or solid. If they're hydraulic, I'd be tempted to pull the distributor and spin the oil pump with a drill until I saw oil coming through to the top of the engine. If they're solids, I wouldn't worry about it. Regardless, I think that if you simply put the oil in and run it, the engine is gonna be fine. You installed a new oil filter, right?

5. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

had that problem with my c10 it has a sbc with a holley carb the power valve was the problem it also didnt like the electronic pump and regulater so i switched it back to mechanical again i just drained the oil and changed the filter never had a problem but it would probally be good to run some thru and drain again

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You've drained the contaminated oil already, hopefully fixed the source of excessive fuel, so I don't think any small amount of residual fuel is going to cause any problem whatsoever.

Heavier oil isn't going to change anything. If your engine is undamaged, I would think that it is not, no need for extra precautions. If it is damaged, higher viscosity oil isn't going to 'fix' it, may just mask the problem.

Adding fuel to oil in very cold temps to improve oil flow is/was a common solution and the fuel just boils off as the engine temps get normal. Caution is wise, but is this case, you have done what has been needed.

Ray

7. n847

n847

Thanks guys all the comments pretty much support what I wss thinking. I got er running yesterday and im gonna need some help getting the timing and carb dialed so after that I'll take it for a drive and then change the oil/filter...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

This is just encase ,for those that may not know, that you should always fill the oil filter with oil on a sbc so you don't have a dry start up .