Register now to get rid of these ads!

who bends axles (fixes them)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Jul 27, 2013.

1. olskool34

olskool34

My coupe project that I have been working on is coming along and I have noticed something wrong with the front axle. Another hamber came by and looked at it and he sees what I do. I bought the axle from a guy that had it dropped by another hamber but he forgot who did it. It looks like the camber on one side is off (very negative). It is an original A axle that was dropped. I hope this can be fixed but I do not feel confident doing it. Is there someone here that can fix it? I have no problem shipping it out.

2. Shops that align transport trucks have the tool to fix this. And remember this rule"There is very little in this world that can't be done with a box of donuts and a cup of coffee.
    Don

3. fatabone

fatabone

Joe just did a V8-60 axle for us and I have bought 34 axles from him as well. Price was great and quick turn around.
    http://www.joesspeedshop.com

4. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

When I put my truck together one side had negative camber and I took it to a spring shop (big trucks)
    I watched the guy as he wrapped a chain around the axle and the frame rack and used a 25 ton jack to push the axle back where it belonged. Simple. Nothing to it. I will do it myself next time

5. pitman

pitman

Hopefully you might get to see it being re-bent into alignment.
    The spring-back behavior is an interest of mine.

6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Contact HAMBer 296V8, he does axles, drops/repairs. He is a perfectionist. I've used his axles 3 times now and had a 4th repaired. Prices are good for exceptional work. You won't be sorry.

7. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

okie Joe's or nostalgia sids would be the best bet, probably a little gentler too.

8. hybred355

hybred355
    from Ont. CAN.

Don i didn't knowyou were into donuts.Larry

9. We have sold a bunch Okie Joe's axles and they always work great. Joe has "fixed" axles for me and I use them on my personal cars.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Another vote for 296V8 he's done 5 deuce big beams for me and they look like new. Nobody better!

11. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks for all the help guys, I have contacted 296 v8 to see what he can do for me. I don't trust the frame shops around here and I am building this for my 63 year old father so I do not want to take any chances.

12. Yup, I have done a few and am a regular at Tim's
    Don
    Yikes. I AM ALSO 63!!!!!!!!!!

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

Too much negative camber? Take axle and helper and go find a quiet railroad track siding.Take the level you brought and check the track. Now lay the axle on the track and check the king pin ends with the angle finder you also brought with you. Ok, now hold the axle with the end needing correction away from you with the axle right side up.Let it drop down while maintaining a firm grip ,on the track, right where the axle makes the upward bend. The axle needs to strike at about a 20-30 degree angle.Check axle angle both sides, Strike again,with more force if necessary ........

14. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Or 500 bucks

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I think that may be the most confusing thing I've ever read. If you could bend it that easy wouldn't it just bend all kind of ways the first time you hit a wicked pot hole?

16. pitman

pitman

He's using F=MA!
    or a good whack...ask the Bernoulli Boys.

17. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

There's a guy I know who owns a heavy truck frame shop. When asked about this for my one '57 axle, he stated $500-600 and also said the axle can flip around while doing it causing a hazard - depending how it is bent. While it seems simple I could see where it could flip but too steep for me. I'll redo the king pins on the original one. :cool:

18. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

He did 2 axles for me. I wouldent go to anyone else after dealing with him. Joes is a great guy who cares about his coustomers and takes pride in his work. He's one of the good ol guys!