Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some help with my brake booster....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KarKrazy56, Jul 27, 2013.

1. KarKrazy56

KarKrazy56
    from NJ

I'm trying to put valve covers on my 51 Chevy but I ran out of space on my drivers side because my brake booster is in the way. My valve covers are too tall but they are the shorts. I don't know what to do, either buy a new smaller brake booster that would work for my car or move it up somehow. Is there anything else you guys would suggest?
    Thanks
    <a href="http://s722.photobucket.com/user/zschultzy/media/IMG_20130727_170405_672.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s722.photobucket.com/user/zschultzy/media/IMG_20130727_170328_500.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://s722.photobucket.com/user/zschultzy/media/IMG_20130727_170346_240.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Remove the plunger rod from the brake pedal under the dash. Remove the four nuts that hold the booster assembly, pull it out and off the threads, up away from the firewall and wire it up to the hood or hood hinge somewhere to hold it. You don't have to move the assembly much.

The brake lines will flex to a point so there's not necessarily a need to remove them. Just lift it up and away enough to replace the valve covers then put it all back.

3. KarKrazy56

KarKrazy56
    from NJ

@Mashed My valve cover will still hit the booster when I put it back.

4. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Hate to say it, but if it is hitting, you probably answered your own question and need a smaller dual diaphragm type or hydroboost.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

the master cyl. looks to be mounted to low. i would redo it. move it up about 1 1/2 inches. why is it out so far also? should be next to firewall.
    may try searching and looking at how others are mounted. something is not right.

6. KarKrazy56

KarKrazy56
    from NJ

@Fast I just bought the car 2 weeks ago. I didn't do the work.
    Thanks

7. tejas34

tejas34

Seems that you have a few options..:(:(:(

1. Do as the previous reply suggested.:D
    2. Move Master Cylinder further up on the firewall and extend your Brake Petal Arm.:(
    3. Purchase a smaller Power Brake Vacuum Booster.;)

tejas34:cool:

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

if it's the one in your avater it looks good. how about more pictures?
    as far as the brakes didn't mean that you screwed up. they just need to be fixed right and your problems will go away. who ever done it just didn't think about the whole picture of engine installed and being able to work on it.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a pretty big booster. Measure it across the widest point, and get a dual-diaphragm one, two inches smaller.

Most of the aftermarket setups, of this configuration, run the booster/master at a slight upward-to-the front angle.

Walton Fabrication (HUGE fan, good stuff):
    [​IMG]

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

That's not a stock assembly. Moving it up would incorporate quite a bit of work assuming the swinging pedal assembly from the same donor car was used.

I didn't realize from your first post that the valve covers were taller/thicker. You may want to hunt down a dual diaphragm booster like mentioned earlier.

11. KarKrazy56

KarKrazy56
    from NJ

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

13. KarKrazy56

KarKrazy56
    from NJ

14. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I dont trust the cheapo aftermarket brake boosters, I would use an S10 9" dual diapragm booster. Not only is the S10 unit smaller it mounts directly to the firewall which moves it back out of the way. Use the S10 brake pedal mount and pedal to finish it up. The one on there looks like a 60s chevy truck unit, and myself I dont like the way the bracket is spaced away from the firewall either. I would be taking it out.

Other option is the 78-88 monte carlo dual diaphragm booster, different from the S10 in that it mounts at an angle. More work because you need to make an angled mount on the firewall but it angles the booster up away from the engine. This is a monte one on my 47 cadillac.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there is more to selecting a power booster than just outside diameter. take a look at mpbrakes.com , and other sites that will give you more info on what it takes to have a proper braking system. there is a thread running now that is about not needing a booster.

16. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Very easy fix. just use a differnt valve cover on that side there that works

17. kursplat

kursplat

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  18. KarKrazy56

KarKrazy56
    from NJ

19. KarKrazy56

KarKrazy56
    from NJ

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

This is excellent advice. I'd consider checking it out because I have witnessed friends having problems with inadequate braking after replacing the booster with a smaller one.

I have personally replaced a Camaro 11" with a Trans Am 9" and found no drop in performance which is why I suggested it. I can't attest to any of the ones you've asked about and won't even speculate.

Could save you some money and frustration with a little research. SERIOUSLY. You've been warned.