Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 ford. Can I make this chop work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boboznutz, Jul 26, 2013.

1. boboznutz

boboznutz

Looking at this car and its a ways from my home to check out in person right now. I am looking to get together a driver so perfection is not my goal but I am afraid this chop has already gone in the wrong direction.... it seems he did not move the rear window forward, just leaned it down. It also does not have the b pillars. I see a complete top on craigslist... I wonder if that's the only solution? Any input?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Torchie

Torchie

Ok. I'll go first.
    I have seen worse that have turned out good.
    Do you like the current profile of the car?
    This looks like an older style of chop. Lots of relief cuts and piecing in metal as opposed to bending up a new sail panel.Also by not moving the rear window forward they most likey didn't have to screw with the rear packge shelf.

With no B pillars you are going to have to go "Hardtop" style which is not all bad but it will require more glass/window frame work.
    You could also buy that other roof and use what you needed off of that.
    Looks like it has had some other custom mods as well. If the floor pan and the body were good and the price is right I would buy it. But if this is your first trip around the block you might want to start with something whole.

3. yes it can but will require a lot of work and possibly parts from that donor top. your new here and some of these guys here are brutal. I would suggest using the search tool here to find the many chop builds. You can learn a lot especially how to put your rear window/sail panel back together.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That chop isn't very good, but it definately is fixable. How the hot rod gods blessed you with a donor top on craigslist, I don't know, but you better go get that sumbitch right now. You are going to need some top pieces that would really suck to build.

If the new top is complete, you might stick it on the car stock heigth and be back on the road a little quicker, or you can chop it however you like, or you can repair the current top. Either way, go get that top, making B pillars out of nothing sucks.

Good luck, -Abone.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Fixable, but i would grab the new top and start fresh...Its always interesting when you see the roofs relieved that way in the front...

6. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

I think you should pass unless he is giving it away and you just want to mess around on the cheap. Seems to me if you have the ability to fix it and make it look good you could buy a 51 and get to the point of that car no problem and have B pillars and everything else with it. Although if you don't have great skills this would not be a bad car to learn on and not be afraid to mess up.. Again only if its cheap. John

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

No bracing... So its probably warped a little already. It would be easy to fix but i would start with a new roof and use that one for patch panels, i have seen way worse massaged out but save yourself the headache if you can.

8. that car is very close to my house.i drive by it all the time. pm me if you want me to go and look at it.

9. boboznutz

boboznutz

I think you may be right on with this. I am going to see how cheap I can pick it up and see if I can make it look half way good and maybe build up my skills for another project down the road.

10. boboznutz

boboznutz

I may take you up on that. Very cool of you to offer! I am like 3 hours away so if I go up there I am going with the trailer to take it home.
    pictures only tell so much of the story, so a knowledgeable local would be awesome

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll echo the sentiments of the others in saying that it is very fixable in the hands of a skilled operator. Also, being as how the current chop is mangled badly, the price of that car should reflect that. The cost of the mangled chop car and the donor roof will likely be lower than just buying a nice virgin shoebox to start with. And you get to save one from the brink, good custom karma!

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As others have mentioned, no bracing. Without bracing, even the body could be out of alignment now.

One of the first steps of properly chopping anything is liberal cross-bracing of the body, and the top. Not really sure how people miss this.

Also, the shape of the windshield frame has been altered at the top corners. This is not just a change to the edge of the glass, but a change to the crown of the glass (which, unless you can bend glass, can't be done). A modified stock windshield will not fit.

The pillars are gone. Custom side glass would cost more than the rest of the project. Extra, properly designed bracing, would need to be added to stiffen the body.

This roof has been destroyed. It is not a matter of fixing the chop.

About the only thing that could save this one, is a Carson top, with a replacement windshield frame, or a whole replacement roof and doors. That's not cheap, or easy to do, either.

13. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Take the guy's sawzall away from him. Somebody got in over their head. Get the other top. You can't do any worse.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IF you can get another top, I would graft that new one on, at stock height, get that correct and metal finished, and glass-fit. Then, and only then, if you really want a chop, properly chop the new roof. Keep in mind, the donor roof MUST have the top of the windshield fame intact.

15. Grab the top off Craig s list,,cut the rough chop job off and replace with the new top and your good to go. HRP

16. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

As mentioned unless the price is ultra reasonable I would have to say keep looking before I would consider getting a different top to try to fix someone elses handiwork. Buying into alot of headaches to correct. Time would be well spent to make the 3 hour drive even with the generous offer from glendale.

17. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Doesn't look too bad. I would cut the back window loose and move it forward to fix the rear part. If its cheap I would buy it.

18. 1arock

1arock

It's a shame, looks like a done car at one time. I'm thinking "cheap roadster".

19. the 3500 they are asking for that is way to far for what that car is