Register now to get rid of these ads!

small to big rear window swap in a TF truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Looking for info on doing this swap,what's involved ect,ect.... Thanks!

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

What is a TF truck?

3. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

what is a TF truck?
    Doesnt sound traditional
    I was there in the 50s and I was paying attention to traditional hot rods

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevy "Task Force" era, late 55-58(?).

5. Tyeager760

Tyeager760

That was my guess but I think task force trucks went to '59.

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I've seen it done before. You will need to obtain the inner and outer skins for the big window, cut out the outer skin of the truck, weld in the new outer skin. Then do the same to the inner skin. Then you can install the big glass. I think Brothers has the big window skins that you need.

8. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------
    I forgot about those. I thought maybe
    he meant "TF" as in "Top Fuel"!!!:eek::eek::D

Mart306
    ==============

9. 1955-1959 Chevrolet trucks. I have the extra cab parts just looking for tips from someone that had actually done the swap.

10. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Now I know this is a Chevy your talking about, but I did a 57 Dodge big window swap from the small window by swapping the whole cab, I don't know if your referring to cutting the section out (sounds like a PITA) or just swapping the whole cab. But I know in Dodges at least when you got the big window as part of the upgrade you got two sun visors (so mounts included) and passenger side door locks) and a couple other options i cant think of at the moment. GM's might have come like that in both variations but its something to think about.

11. jkski

jkski

try 67-72 chevytrucks.com.under the AD and TF heading,do a search their should be a couple.

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'd also be inclined to swap the entire big window cab but it depends on the new big window cab condition and where you're at with the current truck. Are we talking a project truck where you'd be swapping cab shells or is it currently a finished, driving truck? Pics?

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Hmm, cool to know, We actually have a 55 3600 in the garage and I owned a 57 daily driver a few years ago but never new they were called a task force truck.

After a little research I also see the sedan deliveries were also in the promotional line up.
    [​IMG]

14. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Greg, it is a pretty labor intensive process. Im in the middle of repairing my 58 cab. I have removed the top and back window portion of the cab. Get ready to drill out thousands of spot welds. I have some pics I can send ya of my progress if ya need it!

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1. One of the guys on the 47/59 forum on the 67-72 Chevy trucks board did a build thread on one.

I'm thinking he used the whole back panel out of the donor cab but you could find the spot welds for the original sections and cut them out and transfer the panels that way.

Evidently some of the guys who responded above don't know Taskforce trucks and don't know that in the 50's and early 60's the big windows were the hot lick as far as custom Chevy trucks went.

16. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I'd swap the whole cab and use the old one for patching if need be.

I've never seen the allure of the big window. Looks to me like an aquarium.

17. Here's a thread that might lead to some clues on the best way to approach it: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=492002

I have never tried it myself. I have both a big window and a small window truck. I definitely like the look of the big window best but I like driving the small window better. The big window always makes me feel like I'm in a goldfish bowl and the sun shining in through the big window in the summer gets really hot.

18. Friend of mine did this with his GMC. He replaced the roof completely by cutting the windshield posts and somewhere 6 - 8" below the gas filler hole. The welds can't be seen and it turned out great. He braced and double braced everything so it didn't shift or move, and to this day it still hasn't. That was over 20 years ago.

19. Well,at least I know know what a TF truck is.:rolleyes: HRP

20. Yeah, it's a term that all the old Chevy truck guys know but outside of that realm, a lot of people have no idea.

TF (stands for Task Force) = 1955.2 - 1959
    AD (stands for Advanced Design) = 1948 - 1954
    Art Deco = 1941? - 1947

21. I did find both threads over on 67-72 chevy truck forum and yes it's tons of work and reason I asked was I have a big window cab that is not worth saving and have a couple real solid small window cabs. Glad a few folks learned what a TF truck is.

22. Hey Saxman do you ever get down to Escondido for Cruising the Grand every Friday? What a great deal and tons of great rides.

23. I usually make it down there a couple of times during the season but I haven't been yet this year. It's funny, I'm wearing my Cruisin Grand shirt at this very moment.

24. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I love the big back window 55-57 trucks. My wife can back mine up without hitting anything

25. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Same here. I like the small window cabs.